Couples That Dominated and then Disappeared

• Members

I've been watching a lot of early 90s General Hospital lately, which means I've been watching a lot of Jenny and Paul. Although I haven't gotten to that point in the story yet, my recollection is that they didn't even get an exit story. Ryan crashed Mac and Felicia's wedding with a bomb and then Jenny and Paul got married in Mac and Felicia's place and that was the last we saw of them until Jenny made a cameo a couple of years later. That got me thinking about other couples who were pushed as big "it" couples, only to lift out of the canvass without even leaving a ripple behind:

In 1995 Guiding Light sometimes felt like it was built around Lucy and Alan-Michael, but once they left it was without much fanfare and despite Alan-Michael having been a major character for the better part of a decade, it would take nearly ten years after his departure for the show to bring him back.

Antonio and Andy on One Life to Live felt like a major couple when they were on, but then left without leaving much of a void behind. When Antonio came back alone a few years later he explained their split, but was that marriage ever even acknowledged as part of his history after that initial return story?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are many examples of this, but one that comes to mind quickly is Tess and Bill on Love of Life, who got a ton of press, and I think maybe even records, but were both completely off the show a few years later, never to return.

• Members

Doug and Julie on 80's Days.

One of Days (and soaps in general supercouples) they were quietly shipped off in 84, with nary a mention after even though their daughter/stepdaughter was frontburner.

When Doug returned solo for a short while,Julie was minimised (not sure how the relationship was treated)

When Julie came back in 1990 on contract she was now the glamorous divorcee and again her love story with Doug was brushed aside.

It was only when Julie was leaving that Doug returned and they reunited, restoring their legacy that continues to this day.

• Members

A few examples that come off the top of my head:

ATWT: Caleb & Julie, Kirk & Sam (who both literally disappeared on the orders of James Stenbeck), and Will & Gwen. 

Days: Scott & Faith, Shane & Kimberly, Phillip & Kimberly, Mike & Carrie, Max and Chelsea

B&B: Nick & Bridget, Owen & Jackie

GL : I agree about Alan-Michael & Lucy, they dominated GL from 1993-96 but I think once Hearst left and A-M was recast with a lousy actor that pretty much was it for the pairing. Then later on there was Jesse & Drew and Danny & Michelle. 

Y&R: Andy & Faren, Tony & Megan, Tomas & Nina, and yes Bobby & Brittany. 

• Members

Another World - From the premier in 1964 until they were written out in 1969 Melissa Palmer (Carol Roux) and Bill Matthews (Joseph Gallison) were the show's it couple.  They were front and centre and had every plot device thrown at them.  In 1970 Bill was killed offscreen and Melissa returned briefly to help launch Somerset.  After that neither was ever seen again and rarely mentioned.  I believe that eliminating theses two characters plus Lee Randolph (also in 1969) was the first nail in Another World's coffin.

• Members

I think Jimmy-Lee and Celia - or Grant and Celia, depending on which you liked better - from General Hospital probably qualify. There was a love triangle storyline that lasted more than two years with the result being Jimmy-Lee winning Celia and Grant eventually leaving town. Then a few months later Jimmy-Lee and Celia split up and Celia left town. Eventually Jimmy-Lee ended up with Charity and left town less than a year after Celia.