Are soaps in danger of extinction?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Interesting that the BBC devised this article but fails to put that energy into fixing EastEnders, which is appears to be in the crapper (from what I've been reading). 

Soaps aren't in danger if they'd actually allow those who are passionate about the genre to run it. At this point, that would be the fans. The genre needs new lifeblood in it for it to continue to live. As I just mentioned in the Emmerdale thread, a lot of the fans on the forums need to be in the writer's room at this point. Most of us can devise stories that need to be told better than the likes of Ron Carlivati, Brad Bell, Josh Griffith, etc. Soaps just need to revert back to simplistic storytelling with purpose. A well-thought out beginning, middle, and end. Shows like Succession, Never Have I Ever, Euphoria, Blood & Water, etc. are practically soaps and are banking big off of telling gritty every day stories. When was the last time a network soap told a story like that? 

The model does need to change as 5 days a week is excessive. Put the soaps on a streaming platform and put out all 5 episodes at once, so people can binge those episodes for the week. The network model (IMO) is dead. The target audience that the network wants (18 to 34) are either in class or working. Preferably, I think soaps need to be 3 episodes a week with a break from late December to mid January like the Aussie soaps do. That saves money and gives the actors and crew a break to do other projects during the off-time. 

• Members

I agree with much of this article, especially the quotes from Michael Cashman, but this type of article is 15-20 years out of date. The time of extinction has long passed. Even the mention of Housewives, a franchise that is heading toward its last years, is about a decade old.

Russell Davies basically said a decade  ago that UK soaps were going to die if they didn't make  changes (none of the  changes he suggested were followed, sadly).

I'm surprised they think that Amazon's Lord of the Rings show is all that talked about. Beyond hate channels I never hear any  talk of it. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Interesting article but I also think it's late to the game. Yes, soaps as we know them are in danger of extinction & they have been for about a baker's dozen years, already. Whether they will go all the way down & circle the drain & go kaput, is just anyone's guess. The few that are left may eke out meager existences. Or they could reinvent themselves. I don't think anyone has the answer. I think it would be great if they manage somehow to stay the course. They are a singular kind of story-telling. I think that probably the biggest factor not on the side of their winning, is that people don't watch TV together like they once did. So many of us began watching soaps with our mothers, or our grandmothers, or our babysitters, etc. Those opportunities are infrequent now.

• Members

When I first started watching soaps regularly 20 years ago, I would have told you that soaps could be saved. Cable, the internet, and a dwindling demographic of stay-at-home moms ate away at the ratings, but numbers weren't all bad. Besides the reality was that ratings were on a decline for most network TV anyway. Things could have been done then to save soaps, but in today's viewing landscape of streaming and "fast tv" soaps in a traditional sense seem to be a thing of the past. An amazing and treasured thing we have all loved at one point, but definitely on life support with an end in sight.  

• Members

I don't think 5 days a week is excessive at all, I think it still works, but IMO a lot of the other soaps could benefit from being a half hour instead of an hour

I think soaps are fine a long as networks are invested, it seems like CBS is with YR/Bold, ABC only if they don't find something to replace GH and NBC/Peacock claim to be invested in Days 

• Members

Back when ATWT & GL's end dates were approaching, Stephanie Sloane of DIGEST did a Q&A with Chris Goutman & Barbara Bloom together & 5 days being too much was one thing they were alleging. Goutman specifically said that he did not see the energy in the fans any more to follow 5 days per week. Bloom said something similar along the lines of soaps evolving & that might be one change.

• Members

I wish people would stop saying reduce costs. One of the biggest red flags fan lists is that five-day-a-week soaps are too expensive to work on streaming. That is a lie and I think Days is helping prove that. These streamers on the low end are spending between $25-30 million per 8-10 episode season of streaming shows. That is more than the budget for Days, which gives Peacock year round episodes, which means year round subscriptions which is very valuable for a streaming network. Then you have to consider the more expensive streaming shows which double, triple and sometimes quadruple the budget I mentioned and still only give 8-10 episodes.

If we're being honest, leading into soaps (especially the ones with name recognition) would only help the streamers. The soaps ratings are comparable to what primetime shows get with MUCH more promo and it's always been said they do well on streaming. The issue is that the soaps aren't taken seriously so nobody cares, but they're all doing well for their networks.

• Members

15 minutes would be easier for outsiders to digest, get hooked and binge.  15 minutes with the sane budget of a 60 minute show could go farther and hopefully improve production costs.  Full circle because radio soaps were 25 minutes