Jerry VerDorn has passed away

• Members

Oh it begins to make sense thank you for the info, i wonder if they knew each other from Texas, Tina had a brief tenure there

thanks

One of My all time favorite GL couples for sure, makes me sad when many greats go away at once, makes one feel like the world is about to end

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My favorite scene of Jerry on OLTL was the one that aired on the same day where Erika had lines about being a soap fan from the end of the program. I thought it summed up his career in soaps in a way being about the experience and those important people you meet along the way being important even if over the years the relationship had changed. I didn’t see that as about Clint, and well he had to look away, to compose himself. 

I don’t know what my favorite Ross scene was, but I appreciate the laughter not that Ross wasn’t a serious character but there were some where you just knew he was having fun whether the material was serious or not.

• Members

So sad.  Wanted to pay my respects.  He grew to be the heart of the TV show GL.  His Christmas "eyes of a child" message was a hallmark of GL for many years.  I tried taking up One Life To Live just because of him.  He was very missed from GL, the show never the same.

• Members

The character became so different under him, but it wasn't until Clint's darker turn that Jerry was able to truly sink his teeth into the part. I felt the evolution had an operatic symmetry to it given how Clint had first come on the show estranged from his father. It definitely had some lowlights or bits that went over the line amidst the good material, but I bought it and he always sold it to the hilt. That day in early 2011 - right on the edge of February sweeps - where the show ended a Friday on a huge cliffhanger with him, RSW and Hillary B. Smith summed up the power of the show and of Jerry in the role, that they could get away with that with actors well over 50 on an American soap opera in the 2010s. They knew it was their A-story.

I will always feel Jerry and Erika were underrated together. I adored her with Brian Kerwin and hated to see that end, but I wasn't very embittered because the fact is she and JVD crackled with a spiky intelligence for me. They had real friction and wit, and it was a different Viki and Clint because the characters were both very different, but seeing them together as a couple near the end and on the 2013 revival made it all solid for me. They had their dramas which would undoubtedly have passed, but when Jerry's Clint was in her corner he was Viki's lover and her rock but more importantly, her consigliere, her opposite pole and her intellectual match and perhaps rival. That's not to say Clint Ritchie's wasn't also very smart and her match, but the old soulfulness of Ritchie and how it played onscreen was different. The intellectual intensity and push-pull of Jerry and Erika together is what got me with their Viki and Clint, and that is all because of JVD interlinking so brilliantly with Erika, the heart of the show. By all accounts from both of them, Jerry made it effortless.

Robin has been informed:

Edited by Vee

• Members

I hope we'll hear more from the GL cast; the news is still flowing out for many, but with others I have no idea if, for example, Maureen Garrett has any social media. I hope we'll hear from Eddie Alderson who can be very private these days. A statement from Erika may take time because she often only communicates online through her newsletter and management.

Edited by Vee