Y&R April 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Truthfully, if Abby were to die tomorrow, the Y&R canvas wouldn't miss her, and you wouldn't miss her either.  And therein lies the problem.

Again, JMO, but I feel like TPTB *have* tried everything (or, everything short of a "brain virus" and complete personality change) to make Abby Carlton Newman Chancellor happen; and with every maneuver, the results are always the same: zilch.

I dunno, I think there just comes a point when you, as someone responsible for keeping this show going, have to accept that the character is hopeless; that you've tried your best (multiple recasts, multiple careers, multiple love interests, whatever) and your best, as they say, just isn't good enough.

And no, I'm not fond of the suggestions that Abby should be written out instead and then brought back when TPTB devise a better strategy.  One, that better strategy may never come; two, the longer you wait for that better strategy TO come, the easier or more tempting it's gonna be to forget her entirely and render her absence as a running gag (think DAYS' Sandy Horton); and three, even a superfluous and redundant character like Abby, who is nevertheless tied to Y&R's two core families, deserves better treatment than to be written off, possibly never to be seen or heard from again.

Abby will never serve a real purpose alive, so I say, kill her off and let her have that purpose for once, if only as a catalyst for change in others' lives, especially in young Chance's.

Victor and Ashley fans, who were pissed about Ashley's abortion BITD, finally had their fantasies of seeing a Victor/Ashley offspring being born and raised to adulthood, and that's great.  More power to y'all.  But, you know, maybe there's a reason why Bill Bell had Ashley abort their first baby.  And maybe, just maybe, it's because he saw something that the rest of us didn't, or didn't want to.

Forgive me, y'all, but when I saw SC in that clip, my immediate, knee-jerk reaction was, "She's literally turning Japanese."

Edited by Khan

• Members

I will take Sharon Case anyway I can get her, but the last few years I admit that I've been sadden she's been doing this since she was soooo naturally beautiful to me. I still think she is.

I remember during Mal Young's run how people were commenting and I didn't realize how bad it had gotten cuz I stopped watching regularly in the middle of Mal Young's run and around when Hilary died. Then I popped in and felt uncomfortable.

I am happy that I was able to watch her go off on Ashland the other day and was no way distracted. 

• Members

Well we would never see the kid anyway...

You've almost convinced me on the killing of Abby. But as shown with Dina and now Allie, long lost characters can return or be used for future story.

The Ashland/Victoria accidemt story, although somewhat random has at least charged things up.

Now they need to decide what to so with the Devon/Abby mess. Maybe they'll all agree to co parent and it will hardly be mentioned.

Still think bringing back Danie/Lucy could fire things up. Daniel/Lily/Billy, Lucy/Moses/Faith.

• Members

There is a long list of actresses who should not do Botox or whatever and for whom it is both somewhat distracting and also heartbreaking because I love them too much so I don't comment on it.

On the plus side, I learned from Maura West that either by not doing it anymore or having it done better, it can settle in a way that doesn't look as unnatural. So unlike straight-up plastic surgery it can be somewhat solved - if someone in their lives gives them good advice which I am not sure I'd dare do if I was her friend.

• Members

True dat, lol.

Now, this is an off-the-top-of-my-head suggestion, not fully developed, so PLEASE don't go off...but what if Devon and Abby decide to cohabitate for Dominic's sake, gradually fall in love and then wed?

I still don't think there's anywhere to go with Abby after that, but.... *shrug*

Edited by Khan

• Members

I don't find Abby any worse than anyone else on the show.  She makes me yawn about half the time, but so do Chance, Devon, and Amanda.  I think it's just a case of four (fairly) appealing performers being stuck in a dud of a storyline, and none of the four can figure out how to rise out of the quagmire.  As the daughter of Ashley & Victor, Abby ought to be sparkling and shining through it, but she ain't.  As the grandson of Kay Chancellor, Devon should be sparkling and shining though it, but he ain't.  As someone who was re-hired because of her popularity and talent, Amanda should be sparkling and shining through it, but she ain't.  That's what a lousy storyline does to the cast, though; it can turn anyone into a yawner.  

• Members

Good performers go along way in salvaging otherwise poor storylines.

This is where Bryton is a fail for me.Lovely guy, I'm sure but Devon has been as dull as ditchwater forever.

Same with Melissa Ordway- she can't rise above the writing for Abby,

I guess the older performers had the benefit of good writing and characterizations to entrench their characters.

But pretty much anyone introduced in the last decade or so has been a flop.

And actors who had a spark-Loren Lott, Zach Tinker were dropped.

• Members

If Chance and Allie grow closer,Abby could turn to Devon. Don't want to see them get married. Too many pointless marriages as it is.

Amanda reveals she can't/doesn't want to have children and isn't happy being an instant mom, thus creating conflict with Devon.

Imani comes onto Nate, who gives into temptation. Elena finds out and leaves town.

Imani thinks she has a clear field with Nate but he and Amanda become closer.

Ditch Elena-she's boring and put Imani on contract-much more interesting to have sisters onscreen-has always been a Y&R staple.

• Members

Of course.  But my point is that that has been an issue with Abby through many, if not all, of the character's storylines, and not just the current one w/ Chance, Devon and Amanda.  Ordway's inefficiency as an actor might amplify said issues; nevertheless, those issues have been there pretty much from the beginning, and long before Ordway took over the role.

For me, it comes down once more to this basic point: you could recast Abby tomorrow, or send her away and bring her back down the road with a new actress, but that's not going to mitigate the issues with her, or make them disappear.  We're STILL gonna be scratching our collective heads, trying to figure out who she is, and what the hell to do with her.

Devon suffers from the same issue that has crippled AH's Victoria and especially Nick: an underwhelming performer portraying a character who should be more dynamic, and who is in desperate need of some growth, but because he (or she) has played that role for so long (too long, I might say) and TPTB either can't or won't replace them, evolution is now virtually impossible.

IOW, Devon, Victoria and Nick are what they are; and as with Abby, you could have the Genoa City Slasher kill all three - Devon, Victoria and Nick - with his/her signature cotton bale hook next week, and I wouldn't miss not a one of 'em.