All : Storyline risks that didn't pay off.

• Members

I felt like Victor Lord being sexually abusive to Viki was a risk, and it sort of depends who you ask as to whether it paid off or not... for me personally, not quite.

I will not deny the story was well-written or articulate, as it occurred during the Malone era that was touted as the most literate of daytime. But I couldn't see Victor Lord, as Agnes Nixon intended, as a pedophile or a rapist. I could see a business associate, an 'uncle' or close friend of the Lord family (maybe with a little stunt casting) as the offender, but Victor? He was already so many things - overbearing, aristocratic, opposing his own moral standards in lieu of his own weaknesses, and yes... he bankrolled an underground commune (which was another story risk in itself). But to make him commit the ugliest sin a parent can inflict on a child? I felt like Erika Slezak (Viki) had inferred in interviews, ruined that character, irrevocably and would have devastated some of the previous actors who played Victor Lord...

And though I can appreciate the opportunity to tell more story arose from Victor Lord reimagined as the ultimate evil, bringing him back from the dead in cahoots with Mitch Laurence to kidnap both his granddaughters Jessica and Natalie and harvesting their organs to save him from from heart illness... That was just off the rails, insanity. 

Edited by Lust4Life76
Profanity

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think John would have been the way to go with that.  Stefano has enough kids.  As a Jarlena fan, I was against it, but thinking back it would have been good tension between Bo/Hope/John/Marlena even trickling down to Belle/Shawn sharing a sibling.  In the end it was all for nothing because they ended up killing him off.  Days has always been obsessed with their supercouples only sharing kids with their soulmate on the female's side (except for John/Marlena) to their detriment I think.  

• Members

By that rational- so did Maureen’s death.  Parker even won for her work in that story.

The acting was award worthy.  I just hate that Laura never really got to have her moment like Luke and Lucky did- they got several, and she had one confrontation with  Luke, and one with Lucky that was just awful.  The rest of the time she moped around trying to get her family back together.

• Members

Point taken

Although I disagree the revisiting of Luke raping Laura did not pay off 

I thought it paid off in dividends 

It planted the seeds for some great storytelling for the next few years after that 

On the other hand killing Maureen didn't do anything storyline wise for the canvas of Guiding Light.

Edited by Frank2803

• Members

Several of these were the first that came to my mind too, especially making Ridge Massimo's son. That right there is the source of almost every icky pairing the show has done since, and didn't lead to much else. Ridge/Bridget was the very worst of these. Ridge's paternity is probably the biggest gamble B&B has done, and the biggest mistake. 

Also, unnecessarily killing off good characters in a way that just provided short-term shock value and no benefit long term (like Macy's second death, Darla's death, Phoebe's death or Aly's death).

Maya being transgender which was played only for shock value and then immediately resolving the story without showing any of the drama.

I also agree about Taylor's (second) resurrection. In retrospect, that was a jump the shark moment. 

• Members

Going old school, The Doctors took a huge risk breaking up Althea and Nick - barely a year after their huge wedding spectacular. Elizabeth Hubbard left shortly after a new head writer came in. Virginia Vestoff came in for about 8 or 9 months, but she wasn't Althea. The writing had become so bad in late 1969 until about mid-1970 that it wasn't her fault. Liz Hubbard returned in October 1970 to reclaim her role, but the show's signature couple (after Matt and Maggie Powers) would never remarry.

• Members

Oh, I agree with you.  Making Bo the father was a total copout especially because it wasn't even possible until it was retconned and they went as far as having a fan poll over Stefano vs. John as the father.  I believe John won?  Was it ever disclosed?  Anyhow, after all that, they kill Zack off by Bo's own daughter a few years later.  It would have been much more drama if it was John/Stefano's.  Since the show killed him off so quickly there was really nothing to lose by making Zack John or Stefano's.  Also JT should have come back at some point.

• Members

Sure he could.  I just don't really see the importance of his character.  He would be a good age for a male character related to no one and he does have a connection to Ciara and Shawn D, but it would be a lot better if Bo/Hope were around.  I think the show missed the boat on that and should have brought him back as a teen, but with the right actor I wouldn't mind him back.