Days of Our Lives: October 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sami actually has plenty of detractors in town and is allowed to be called on her sh.it.

Ben literally murdered 4 people on screen, and if you dare mention it, you’re screamed at by Ciara or Marlena(the grandma of one of the victims) will tell you until she’s blue in the face that he’s cured. The show even went so far as to make one of his victims, his new best friend. It is god awful writing. The power of love is totally different than offensive propping of a serial killer.

• Members

This is an excellent question to raise. The old "redeemed by love" argument has never gone all that far with me, though I do understand (from many real-life examples) that women have traditionally believed this, thus the use of this on the soaps.

However, I think that some viewers may also see "Ben as hero" as correcting the mistakes of previous writers. The previous writers messed up by killing off a character? Bring 'em back from the dead! Not that DOOL would actually do this, of course! (Wink.) The previous writers messed up by making Ben a serial killer? Say it was a tumor and bring back the Ben the viewers wanted all along.

• Members

Sami was understood and at times sympathized with, but the audience was invited to love to hate her in the '90s. They rooted for her getting her just desserts from Carrie. This has never happened with the allegedly rehabilitated Ben. That's the difference.

It is extremely easy to redeem Ben, even now, by blaming a frame-up job in the world of DAYS. Ron Carlivati doesn't do it because he bullishly believes he was right to do similar stories like the rapemance at OLTL, NuFranco at GH, etc. and that it doesn't matter what a character does so long as they or the actor are edgy and fun to write for. But characters and stories do have limits - many soap scribes have learned that the hard way. Even Ron did, which led us to the Two Todds.

tbh I've never disliked Drake. He sold the hell out of his story in the '80s and '90s and he has a certain skill and charm that is often underestimated. He's not Olivier but people have rarely given him enough credit. He is a singular personality, yes, but he's DAYS.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Ending Ava/Rafe/Nicole for a Nicole/EJ reunion just might be the best thing for Nicole right now.

How wonderful would it be if EJ convinces Nicole to junk the bear for good 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I really hate this Nicole stuff. Not her with EJ - I'm loving that. But my god, enough of her looking at that stupid bear. Is this really the best we can do with Ari Zucker? She and DF must get these scripts and just laugh. Why do they have entire scenes revolving around a teddy? Nicole isn't ready to move on from... Rafe. HUH? It doesn't even make sense. She has a little schoolgirl crush on the guy her friend is dating, so now she's not sure if she can move on with EJ? This would be so much more palatable if Nicole was conflicted about moving on from Eric (you know, her HUSBAND). Nicole is literally in the middle of getting divorced from the love of her life, yet he barely gets mentioned and Rafe is the reason she's struggling to move on? Please! It's so insulting as an Ericole fan. Not to mention, I'm yet to see a single Nicole fan who is into her with Rafe. I see people who want her with EJ, a recast Eric, or even Brady, but never Rafe. Honestly, I just want EJ to give her some good dick so she can forget about that loser. I'd literally rather see her with Ben than Rafe. He's so fricken boring. #FreeNicole

I adore EJ's disdain for Duke. EJ throwing him in the trash had me dying.

Please register in order to view this content

But of course Nicole pulled him out. MAKE IT STOP.

EJ: "I'vE rEmOvEd EvErY tRaCe oF SaMi" he says while wearing his wedding ring. Nicole looking miserable and thinking about Rafe while on a date with Agron from Spartacus isn't even remotely believable. Dear lawd! Make it stop!

Marlena is trying to frame Doug for whacking Julie and wants him committed to Bayview. This is awesome and Bill Hayes is still slaying. Love these characters driving story.

Paulina and Lani talking about Paris is zzzzZzzzz.