Michael Tylo Passes Away At 73

• Members

SOD reports that Michael Tylo has passed away at 73.

Soap Alum Michael Tylo Passes Away At 73 - Soap Opera Digest

Michael Tylo, well-known to soap fans for his runs on ALL MY CHILDREN (ex-Matt), GUIDING LIGHT (ex-Quint), GH (ex-Charlie), Y&R (ex-Rick/Blade) and B&B (ex-Sherman), has passed away at the age of 73. His death was announced by the Nancy Uscher, Dean of College of Fine Arts at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where he served as a film professor. The actor is survived by his wife, Rachelle, and their daughter, Kollette, as well as his daughters Izabelle and Katya from his previous marriage to Hunter Tylo (ex-Taylor, B&B et al). He was preceded in death by his son with Hunter, Michael Tylo, Jr., known as Mickey, who drowned tragically in 2007.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was really lucky to speak with him in 2008, not too long after the accidental death of his son. I did a write-up about that conversation here. I admit, it was one of my favourite interviews I ever did. He was so kind, so sharp, and so engaged:

http://www.pinevalleybulletin.com/Features/InterviewTyloM.html

My favourite memories he shared:

• That Tylo called Susan Lucci "Sweet N' Low" because of her tiny stature
  • That Tylo, Mark LaMura, and Mathew Cowles went to church together every day - can you imagine fan's faces seeing Billy Clyd Tuggle taking communion! It's so sad to think that all three of these Icons have passed.
  • That Tylo was one of the few actors to work directly for the trifecta of great daytime writers: Douglas Marland, Agnes Nixon, Bill Bell

• Members

Very sad to hear this. I had almost forgotten he hadn't passed away - then I remembered his son had. Such awful news. 

He cut such a dashing figure as Quint - soaps have become so absurd and have been so absurd for enough years that it's hard to imagine what GL fans could have felt about all of the gothic, Late Show-esque trappings of the early Quinton storyline. Tylo sold them with panache. I'm sorry that he never got a proper farewell, but I do like that, thanks to an ad-lib from Lisa Brown, we know Quinton and Nola are probably still out there somewhere, adventuring and living their dreams.