Unpopular opinions: cancelled soaps edition

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That makes total sense, and I couldn't agree more. Ronn Moss, though not a first-rate actor, had all the qualities needed for Ridge. I liked Thorsten Kaye on OLTL, but I think he is terrible as Ridge. Though I rarely watch B&B, his scenes always make me cringe. It didn't help that I first saw him in the "Grandpa Loves Barbie" storyline.

And though I am very happy that soaps can now portray same-sex relationships, LesbiMariah is not as interesting as the Mariah who used to hang out with Kevin and the two best friends had their own kind of language, the way good friends sometimes do. That was some of the best dialogue I have ever heard on any soap.

• Members

All My Children - I liked Greenlee with Leo, but my preferred Greenlee pairing was with J. Eddie Peck's version of Jake. I thought that Greenlee matured during that relationship and regressed when she was put back with Leo.

Guiding Light - I loved Alan-Michael and Lucy together and I liked Lucy as a character.

• Members

I don't think music is the reason. As @amybrickwallace mentioned, Ciji does not arrive until season 4. Falcon Crest I am not even sure got a release past season 1, and they didn't have a music rights problem. Sadly I just don't think there was enough interest. 

J Eddie Peck is one of the few (maybe the only) person I thought Rebecca Budig had chemistry with. 

• Members

Yeah, I’ve never bought the music excuse for the lack of KL on DVD or streaming. Warner just hasn’t done a great job with the old Lorimar titles, particularly the hour-long shows. The Waltons and Dallas both got DVD releases but they weren’t remastered and looked pretty bad relatively speaking. The Waltons has since gotten remastered, but Dallas is on imdbTV and looks worse than ever. Eight is Enough finally got a DVD release after many years, but most of it was manufactured on demand (burned) rather than pressed, and that show has been absent from broadcast/cable for 20 years and isn’t streaming. There are other shorter-lived Lorimar shows - Flamingo Road, Our House - that have sat in the vaults for years. And the longer they are unseen, the less demand there is for them.

Whoever is in charge of the Warner Bros library just doesn’t care about these shows.

Edited by Chris 2

• Members

ITA, they had super-couple chemistry. The 3rd AM not so much, but he was serviceable I guess. 

Also, I enjoyed Nola's presence during the Mid-90s. So much, I could tolerate her chasing Buzz since I never really liked Jenna.

Edited by Spoon

• Members

Oh how I hated AM and Lucy, but that is a popular opinion I am sure..however..I love having Nola back and didn't think her more...dourly (i.e. Ivaesque) personality was bad at first, it just went on too long. I didn't like that Long turned her into a caricature and then really a nobody, and it makes sense that an older Nola who found out her life was not going to be a movie with Prince Charming (never was a big Quola fan but then I hated super couples see AM and Lucy, so stifling for a character and story perspective...) and ended up back at the Boardinghouse and square one. However, Nola should have shaken that off and found out, its not bad at all and maybe where she should have been all along, and then she becomes the Lisa of GL connected to all the characters and moving exposition along as gossip and nosing into everyone's business. I also thought Buzz was almost tolerable with her..Brown was NOT letting him step on her lines and yes, I liked Jenna but only when she was out of the Buzz propping world...)again, my "Supercouple" hate..) I could see Nola and Buzz hooking up when he found a woman who would not take his crap...but of course, Nola of all people was stalking the little troll man who would not get off my screen....