Are there soap characters on the same show who rarely interacted?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, that list isn't accurate.
Traci vs Lauren was actually a major storyline in the 80s! They had a triangle around Danny (I think) and Lauren was bullying Traci regarding her weight. This was revisited several times later on. Pretty sure their overlap regarding Brad also meant later interactions.

• Members

My mind tells me Craig and Lily did interact in a storyline in about '05-'06 or '07. I thought he became friendly with her. I don't remember any more than this.

And also near the end of the show when it was revealed Craig had another son that Lily, Sierra and Lucinda kept from him they must have interacted.

Edited by Markjeh

• Members

I remember Janice Lynde wanted to work with Jeanne and was hoping they would find a way for them to interact.

Kay may have had a brief scene with Lorie when she was going after Phillip, but never been able to find out for sure.

Of course she did share scenes with both Lorie and Stu but not until 82/83

Jill definitely had scenes with Ashley, tons of them, and Traci too.

She also had a few scenes with Paul in 1991 when she hired him to find out about Dina's absence from GC the last 5 years

She had plenty of scene with Dru as well, as she hated Dru and didn't want her as a model at Jabot

• Members

The interaction with the Brooks girls that I always found comical was NIKKI.   She and Chris Brooks were fairly close (both married to a Foster brother).  I believe Nikki even wore Chris's dress in her 1979 wedding to Greg Foster.  But I guess Chris never bothered mentioning that she had a lil sister named Peggy.   In the summer of 1980, Nikki and Greg separated, and Nikki joined the New World Commune (along with Paul).  Peggy had also infiltrated the organization.  Nikki, Paul, and Peggy spent the entire summer together but they never seemed to recognize that Peggy was dating Paul's older brother or that she was Greg Foster's sister-in-law/step-sister.   By the time the New World storyline was over, Nikki and Peggy were friendly, but I guess Peggy never mentioned that she had a sister named Leslie who played the piano.  Less than a year later, Nikki was residing in Goat Castle, and Victor hired Leslie to give Nikki piano lessons.  Blank slate.  Nikki didn't appear to have a clue that Leslie was a sister to Chris and Peggy.  But Leslie and Nikki played lots of sonatas together, without Leslie ever bothering to mention that she had a sister named Lorie.  A year later, Lorie was Nikki's romantic rival for Goat Daddy, but Nikki seemed never to have heard of her before.  That's Bill Bell for you.   

• Members

I wonder in retrospect if that was purposefully done, if Bill Bell knew the audiences must have been questioning those connections and he wanted to add the suspense of Nikki ever realizing they were all related? 

In 1980  Victor also seemed to befriend Casey before meeting Nikki yet a brief 1980 clip showed that Victor was aware Casey had a little sister named Nikki because as a kind gesture he gave Casey flowers to give to Nikki when she got into a car accident….yet a whole year later Victor meets stripper Nikki Reed without even mentioning that he was friendly with big sister Casey…like with the Brooks girls at the wedding Nikki didn’t even realize Victor and Casey knew each other till a couple days before her wedding. 

• Members

@YRfan23 I thought it was odd that Victor didn't make the connection that Nikki Reed of The Bayou was Dr. Casey Reed's younger sister. I think Casey was already gone by the time Victor saw Nikki at The Bayou, and maybe Bill Bell thought the audience forgot that Victor knew that Casey had a sister Nikki. Side note, why was Nikki using her real name at The Bayou, you'd think she'd have a stage name.

• Members

I believe you hit the nail on the head.   It would've been unnecessary "clutter" to bring up Casey, when Casey was no longer on the show.  Ditto for Nikki and Kay's sudden friendship in 1981, during the Jerry Cashman storyline.  Nikki had ALWAYS known Brock Reynolds, as Nikki worked for him at the Allegro in 1978.   But three years later, when she befriended Kay, she never said, "Oh!  You're BROCK's mother!", because Brock was no longer on the show, and it would've been confusing for viewers who'd never heard of Brock.  

Kay Chancellor had several "hit-and-miss" encounters with the various Brooks girls throughout the 1970s and early 1980s.  She knew that Lorie Brooks was the girl who'd help Brock squander his inheritance from Gary Reynolds in Europe.  She knew that Lorie Brooks was the aspiring novelist who had the hots for her current husband Phillip Chancellor.  Lorie was the girl Kay enlisted in 1979 to help sabotage Jill's divorce settlement from Stuart Brooks.  (Lorie Brooks and Liz Foster were the only two characters on the show who knew Kay was really alive after the fire at the sanitarium.)  In 1975, Kay evicted ALL of the Fosters (including Chris Brooks) from her home after the judge ruled Jill's marriage to Phillip was invalid.  In 1981, Kay brought some famous designer (Mr. Blackwell, I think) to town to design a dress for Liz to wear to the London ball; Lorie and Leslie were present with Kay for the fittings.   Later that year, Kay took Liz to the Bayou to watch Cash strip.  Peggy was at home when Kay delivered Liz back to the Brooks house and was giggling at the idea of Liz watching a striptease act.   

We typically saw the characters in their own little orbits, but when the crossover occasionally occurred, it was normally pretty organic, rather than forced.   

• Members

Even with Katherine and Lorie though, there was a scene in 1982 where Victor had a dinner at the ranch with Katherine,Nikki,Douglas and Lorie present….Lorie says to Katherine: “Mrs chancellor your probably don’t remember me, etc…” kind of odd she needed to say that if she Leslie and Kay were present to help Liz with her gown just a year earlier…

• Members

Even odder still, why would Lorie think Kay could possibly forget her "grand entrance" down the steps in London a few months earlier, with her gown split all the way up to her swiveling crotch?  lol.  (I'm sure the dialogue was phrased that way, because they'd shared so few scenes over the past nine years.  But that entrance down the staircase in London, with Kay Chancellor, Liz and Stuart gasping at her revealing ensemble, was pretty memorable.)