Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Just from watching the 1 full episode, I can see why it didn't take off.

It's beautifully shot, but there's nothing that sets it apart... no distintive hook or identity unlike the following big 4 soaps:

Dallas was about the oil and rancher businesses with two feuding families.

Knots Landing was about upper middle class families in a Calfornia suburb

Falcon Crest was about a family that owned a vineyard

Dynasty was about new money in Denver that deal with oil, hotels, and especially about manners.

With that said, I thought Jessica Walter was a worthy recast for Lee Grant while Muffin had a much bigger part it seems in the show.  She seems more like a grey character... or is she. 

• Members

Bare Essence had a few strikes against it from the start.

It was rushed into production as a spin off of the mini series- I don't believe there was ever the idea of the mini series being a 'pilot' for a series . So there was recasting and having to come up with a concept for a series.

The 9pm timeslot - no soap had successfully debuted at 9pm. The competition was a still strong 3's Company on ABC and CBS had a strong movie Murder in Coweta County to blunt BE's debut.

Reviews were not great,so viewers weren't inclined to tune in, and those that did didn't return in Wk 2.

• Members

I have copies of the scripts. It wasn't very good from what I recall. I only got as far as about episode 5 when I stopped. At the point they wrote out the gay couple, only to replace them with a straight woman, I was pretty much over the only unique element of the show. There were few witty lines from what I recall and that plot was twisty enough to be that sort of show. They basically hoped Genie Francis' name would carry the show. I think there was one unfilmed or unaired episode, but I believe that too was also a cliffhanger.