Bare Essence (1982-83)

• Members

I don't think so.  I don't think there was anything wrong with picking up where the original miniseries left off.  Again, I think the problem was that too many actors' roles had to be recast once it went to the series, and the replacements paled in comparison.  Frankly, they would have been better off leaving well enough alone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, I mean most characters were designed with someone in mind then almost everyone was recast, let's Face It, it wasn't a question of lack on talent by anyone it was not being fit for the shoe you would fill, Jaime Lyn Bauer might've worked with time, Jennifer O'Neill too but she was too Young and Not The Least Similar to Genie to play her mother, Jessica Walter was tooooooooo young too etc.

By THe Way The Pilot Miniseries is now full on youtube

where this gold came from?

• Members

@Joseph those screen caps are from the opening credits when the show went to series, or at least, the opening credits of the German dub found on YouTube. I’ve wondered if the Sarah Vaughan song by Billy Goldenberg from the miniseries was used for the series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I’m not far into it, but I finally started the mini series and this is *so* good. I feel like I’m going to regret it because this will make me want to find the series even more.

It’s so odd seeing Linda Evans outside of the static acting and perfection of Krystle Carrington. 

• Members

I ain't saying Linda Evans is a brilliant actress, but she was far more capable than the dross that they always wrote for her on DYNASTY.

As a miniseries, BE was pretty good, with good casting and a strong story.  It's just should have stayed as a miniseries, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Linda Evan's had a character she could sink her teeth into.  A flawed character that had both positive and negative traits.

The story I was most liking was the 2 designers finding their way back to one another.  Mini series used to have fun b and c stories that interested me more than the A story.

• Members

It's been SO long since I watched Bare Essence, but just the first five minutes took me right back to the first time I saw it! That sweeping arrangement of the theme as the camera chases up the beach...flawless. I'll definitely be sinking my teeth back into this again tomorrow as a nice post-holiday viewing.

I honestly forget that they made a series out of it lol obviously we all "want" to see it, but at the same time, I feel like there's no big huge loss in not seeing it. The mini is perfect all by itself.

• Members

The full series used to be on YouTube. I tried to follow along but lost patience as it was dubbed in German, which I do not speak. Jessica Walter appeared to be a fine replacement for Lee Grant, just wish I could have heard her. We all know she was Esther Shapiro’s choice for Alexis, and her Ava is certainly styled in the Alexis vein, often seen talking on her mod chrome and lucite sphere phone while smoking white 120’s.

WaPo review of the series debut: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1983/02/15/such-gloss-such-dross-its-bare-essence/99912ded-56e3-4956-befe-b3225ac57abe/

• Members

NO, The Nearest she got was a TV Film/Miniseries called The Million Dollar Face from 1981 that sounded like a Pilot

Ha, i always pictured that secretary of Cecil's Being that LOL, i mean Cecil's ex with a love child by him who would eventually try to fight for a piece of the fortune