Bare Essence (1982-83)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He was.  He was replacing Bruce Boxleitner, who had played the role in the miniseries, but who was unavailable, I think, due to his regular gig on "Scarecrow and Mrs. King."

In a way, it made sense to kill off the character right away, as it positioned Genie Francis as the clear lead and gave her character a clear purpose (to finish what he had started at his father's company).

As much as I love JW, I feel like Lee Grant was irreplaceable as Ava.

• Members

The miniseries ended with Tyger making up with her mom, getting her ideas accepted and ending up with her love interest.

So in the series, you needed to shake her world in order to see her struggle...hence the death of her new husband.

From what I recall, Muffin had a bigger part in the series than she did in the mini series...while I'm not sure if the character played by Donna Mills had as big of role in the series 

• Members

Exactly.  Otherwise, what would have been the point of continuing past the miniseries?

Frankly, and it's been a LONG while since I last watched the miniseries, but aside from the affair with Jonathan Frakes' character, I don't remember Barbara Fisher having much to do at all there either.

I think Jaime Lyn Bauer was PERFECT for transitioning from daytime to primetime, but I think BE was the wrong vehicle for her.  Lorimar should have tried to court her for one of their shows instead.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Agree, Jaime Lyn Bauer was made for primetime soaps. I'm actually surprised CBS didn't try to keep JLB in the family after she left Y&R and get her casted on one of their big three primetime soaps. Can we think of a role that she could've done well as?

• Members

At that time I don't think anyone working in primetime would have had any idea who Jamie Lyn Bauer was.

She would have had to battle it out with all the other pretty ladies at auditions.

There was no connection b/w CBS daytime and nightime in spotting and nurturing talent.

Genie had some cache because GH had broken through due to Luke/Laura and Elizabeth Taylor giving it mainstream coverage.

Bare Essence suffered from poor writing.

If an actress of the calibre of Jessica Walter couldn't make her character work,there was no hope.

I remember Ava's catchphrase was 'puss' as in 'I feel sorry for you,puss'

It was quite annoying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Would the show have been better off doing what Paper Dolls did when that show went to series....which was retell the story from the start?

That way, the new performers could make the characters their own.

Jennifer O'Neil was an interesting choice for the Linda Evans character.  Totally different vibes.