• Members

I don't think Young would've immediately put Arturo with Mia, and then put them in Miami with a miracle baby.

I'm also DYING to know what Young's original plans for Elena were... because, I can guarantee, this was not it.

It was stupid. She was a feisty vixen who spiced up the canvas more than any of the spices Lola ever put into her cooking.

The way she slanked into the grand opening up Society and just schmoozed everyone was great.

Plus, we missed out on Celeste vs. Mia; I do believe Eva LaRue and Noemí González could have been excellent sparring partners.

Not to mention, not pairing LaRue's Celeste with Peter Bergman's Jack was another pissed opportunity.

Edited by Liberty City

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The introduction of the Rosales family had all the subtlety and appeal of a bull in a china shop. 

If they had just brought back David Lago for a five, six week story arc and introduced one or two Rosales members as his kin, and set up their introduction through Raúl, it could've worked, but heaven forbid there be any connection to any characters created by a previous regime.

• Members

I actually thought Mia had potential, too, to be the show's next schemer/social climber. I think they just went too fast for the audience's taste, panicked, and wrote out half the family.

I only tune in every now and then now, but the show is sooooo dull. There's not one story I find intriguing.

Edited by pdm1974

• Members

The Rosales family was mishandled because they were seen as a tokenistic insta-family invented *to replace* another diverse family, the Winters (around this time we saw Lily go to jail/CK on recurring, KSJ also on recurring and the immensely popular Mishael Morgan later written off as Hilary).

The Rosales had real potential to open up the show and the gene pool (Mia as an active troublemaker could have been part of that). Just not at the expense of the Winters who are largely beloved, especially Mishael Morgan.

Lately, I keep thinking back to Y&R's very first episode, less than 30 minutes long and once widely available on YouTube. It zips by like it is 10 minutes. Many of the characters have few familial links with each other, and it is a mix of haves and have-nots, of all ages -- and yet it felt interlinked. The storytelling was easy and uncomplicated and like it was going somewhere.

Not that Y&R would every go back to the first episode for inspiration, but given that the show back then was limited to a few sets every episode (and we essentially have 2-3 sets and a handful of characters treading water nowadays), it wouldn't be a bad place to start...

Too bad MM is leaving, he is talented and very much established as a legacy character. I imagine salary + outs played a part in his and HK's decision.

For anyone interested, members of Y&R's cast past and present read the script of the first episode:

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Cat

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I don't entirely agree with this assessment at all, sorry.
Christel Khalil decided to go recurring on her own accord, eventually moving to Canada, in search of other roles... which never really took off.

Mishael Morgan's exit, as described by her agent, came down to not wanting to pay more money and the fact Sony Pictures Television causes there to be more people to answer to.

I don't think, from my point of view, it was at the expense of the Winters family.

For me, it came down to the pace at which Lola, Mia and Rey all came into town.

And then the vast racist comments being made where the actors (and characters) were concerned, and still are concerned.

I know Kay Alden liked the introduction of the Rosales family... and I think had she been brought on as head writer she could have handled them much better than cutting them in-half, then introducing the parents for a blink-and-miss minute.

• Members

It's a real shame they did not keep him as a bad boy really. He was great when Kyle was brought back and proved...like father, like son when it came to women and like his mother when it came to scheming. I like he was softened, but he should have never lost his edge.

Wish him the best. 

• Members

Bingo. The optics surrounding introducing them were horrible and distasteful. It rubbed all of us the wrong way. It was a slap in the face to basically say "we can replace one token family with another". GTF out of here with that.

I like Mealor, he's cute of course, but I do think he's capable. I think he probably overestimated his worth LOL. Kyle was better before Griffith declawed him. Griffith SUCKS.

• Members

When I posted this, I was talking specifically about the actual way in which the characters were introduced. I make the distinction because I think that there is a difference between the writing and the PR blitz, which I think most people refer to when describing their feelings about how the Rosales clan entered the canvas. I differentiate between the two.

• Members

I would imagine both King and Mealor had to make the decision whether to stay another 3 years or make the break.

Probably they were offered little financial inducement to stay.

At their age they are probably at their most marketable right now and with so many shows being produced network and otherwise, they probably feel it's worth moving on.

I think CBS/Sony are totally money driven and know the show will survive without them. I think that may be a factor in not casting Chance also.

At this point the savings on a contract salary might help to mitigate the expenses incurred on COVID related measures.