ALL: Characters with “Inappropriate” Sexual Chemistry

• Members

The way Claudia was killed off was particularly violent.  Unfortunately, she was written so far into the corner at that point I didn't care.  And if I had to see the flashback of Michael swinging that axe one more time I was going to scream.  First Drew Garrett's Michael had the flashback 1000 times then CD's Michael did lol.

The mistake with Claudia was boxing her with Sonny.  She was so good with a lot of other people on the canvas, specifically Nikolas.

I know super random right?  Anthony sold Claudia off to Gino and he raped her.  I don't even know......that's horrifying and no wonder she was nuts.

I actually wouldn't have minded some Soleitos coming back including Carla.  It was just the wrong time on the show.  It was in the middle of the OLTL stuff and the Connie/Kate/Joe Scully stuff too.  There were so many new characters running around at that point, but the idea isn't half bad.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the mistake was the character, period. There were some powerful moments but I think it was a fundamental mistake to bring Sarah Brown back as anyone but Carly. I'd still hire her today.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yeah, I don't know what the trend is with bringing actresses/actors back on the same soap, especially ones so highly identified with a role. It didn't work for SB or TB.  I think Claudia was much better planned out than Kim, but did the show think we wouldn't recognize SJB because Claudia was evil, had black hair, and wore red stilettos lol?

I don't know if I can see SJB playing Carly as she is now, but I'd be willing to see her take it on. 

Shows seem so unwillingly to take the risk to bring the original actress/actor back when the recast is popular.  Don't bother to secure the person if you aren't going to make the move to put them back in their original role.   Same with WN on Days as Alex.  Why waste everyone's time and have him interact with the same people he would as Roman.  Cut your losses with JT and make him Roman again!

I can't think of a single case (outside of a long lost twin situation) where this sort of casting worked.

• Members

I was actually more interested in the Zaccharas than I was in the Corinthoses (plural?) for a while, precisely because the Zs seemed to be like a real, crazy mob fambly (as opposed to the Good Mob Avengers). Brown and BB were excellent as these broken, tragic, doomed siblings. The actor who played Trevor Lansing was also fantastic (his name escapes me -- though I've seen him in Columbo and other great shows throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s).

As you say, though, it was all about Sonny, Jason, Carly, Michael and making them heroic at all costs -- and against the odds. Michael bashing Claudia's head in with an axe is not a great look on anybody. Sure, Sonny spent about a day with his hand on his forehead, mumbling about "My mob life made him dis way" -- but all that was quickly excused with "Michael was just tryna protect his muvva. He's a Good Boy."

As @carolineg pointed out, it was the unabashed violence. Throughout her run, Claudia was the outlet for various men's (and notable misogynist Carly's) viciousness and blood lust. I couldn't help but root for her.

• Members

That's it! Stephen Macht. He has done literally everything out there -- Highlander, a few Star Treks, Melrose Place! I remember him most notably from the Columbo episode with Lindsay Crouse as a sex therapist who gets revenge on him.

Ahem. Back to inappropriate sexual chemistry in soaps!

This isn't Daytime, but on original Dynasty (back in the 80s), Adam (Gordon Thomson) had some kind of crazy chemistry with Fallon (Pamela Sue Martin) which the writers actually had culminating in a kiss before they knew they were actually siblings. 

• Members

YES, VERY!!! I had always wanted the things that happened to Tracy on THE CITY to have some impact on GH so I was excited to hear it be considered that Carla might show up. And I remember Skye blackmailing her. But how do I know remember Gino being Claudia's dad??

Then again  I wasn't a regular viewer. But still...WOW. 

• Members

So the Tracy stuff had to do with her investing or funneling dirty money while she was married to Gino and Anthony Zacchara blackmailed her into marriage over it.

The Johnny stuff was mostly used as a plot point for Sonny to humiliate Johnny publicly, so he announced at a party that Claudia was his mom, not his sister, and Gino was his dad.  To be clear, Anthony is Claudia's father.   It didn't really go anywhere.  Johnny was sad, but nothing really happened because Claudia was long dead and I think Barash was gone less than 6 months later.  But like I said, it was right in the middle of the OLTLers coming on so it probably wouldn't have been that popular to have City characters come on since we were already inundated with a bunch of characters from another soap.

• Members

The last time "Daniel" appeared on the scene was when GT portrayed Phyllis, right? 

Now that Lily is a divorcee and because he and CG displayed genuine chemistry, it could be a good idea for Graziadei/Daniel to do even a brief story arc. From what I am reading, it sounds like the show could use some diversion. Then again, I don't believe that JG could pull it off, even for a brief story arc.

• Members

No, Johnny left in March of 2013.

The timeline is a little off. Garin Wolf was the one who brought the Soleito connection back in 2011 and played with bringing on Carla. He had Tracy marry Anthony. Frank and Ron Carlivati took over in February of 2012 and dumped the Anthony marriage and had Johnny kill him. They inherited the Claudia reveal literally a week or less before they fully took over, IIRC. Johnny was played heavy with them all year, and paired with Carly (abandoning the prior two teams' tease with Carly and Shawn). Johnny was used as an obstacle for pairing Carly and Todd, and it turned out he had accidentally gotten Starr Manning's boyfriend and daughter killed on their way through town by trying to shoot up Sonny's car on the road. Johnny was outed and sent to jail in March of '13. But he was played frontburner til then all year long.

They kept bringing him back after on and off, because they clearly still loved Barash.

• Members

Thanks for the corrections.  I was doing a lot off memory. I can't believe Johnny was around for a whole other year!!  I thought the Starr/Cole car stuff was resolved earlier.  I remember the Connie/Kate/Johnny stuff and the Carly/Johnny stuff I just don't remember it lasting that long.  

Makes sense that GW introduced it all first.  I just remember it all blurring together and the Soleito reveal with Claudia lined up closer with the Starr stuff.  I think I would have preferred the Soleito's to the OLTLers because at least there was a Tracy tie and a mob family made sense on GH

• Members

Yeah, they had Johnny get out on parole or something or escape several times in short stints in the following couple years. They always played him as a remorseful antihero with a heart, had him try to make Dante jealous with Lulu, etc.

• Members

Definitely need to include Another World's Mac and Iris in this thread.    Douglass Watson and Beverlee McKinsey definitely had incredible chemistry, and years of story on the show was Iris seeking revenge and stirring up trouble for Mac's wife Rachel since she married Iris' beloved "Daddy."

Please register in order to view this content