Characters you think writers struggled to write for

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know Guza got a lot wrong, but someone not mentioned yet was Felicia.  First he had her become cynical and darker after Kevin was revealed as her stalker, and enter into whatever it was she was doing with Tom.  Then later she has an affair with Luke of all people and falls in love with him.  No.  Just no.

Malone and Tina on OLTL is so accurate!  As was Reilly and Jack.

Sean and Tiffany really went through the wringer in their last couple of years!

• Members

Y&R i think Josh (and some former writers) are having trouble with Nick, because the character by definition and due to Morrow's approach/limitations means there isn't much that can be done with the charcter.

They've tried him as hard nosed businessman(Dark Horse) but that flopped so he isn't a part of the (crappy)business stories.

Romantic options are limited -Phyllis and Sharon on repeat.

So that leaves kind but clueless dad.

• Members

Marland had some characters he struggled to write..happens to every writer.

Penny on the Doctors 

Holly, Hope, and Rita on GL

Steve and Betsy on ATWT (yes..Betsy stayed till 1988 but she was not used well).

Mctavish seemed to struggle to write Nola on GL

Pam Long struggled to write the Capwells well on SB

Labine seemed to not get Blake on GL.

And any writer other than Long didn't get Reva at all on GL.

• Members

GH Felicia: beginning after Maxie's heart transplant, and more so after the late 90s they really didn't know where to go with the character. 

GH Bobbie & Tony (under Guza/Phelps): after Tony kidnapped Michael the character never recovered. I can't recall any major storyline he had afterwards. after Bobbie found out Carly was her daughter her role on the show pretty much diminished to a  supporting character afterwards.

Y&R Lauren: it seems Lauren has struggled to have solid storylines that aren't intermittently related to Sheila since 1990. The last remotely interesting thing Lauren probably did was the affair with Carmine.

OLTL Clint: after Viki's affair with Sloan the character struggled to get a solid story until Jerry Ver Dorn took over.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

What I remember with Malone and Tina was she was just an idiot.  The casting did not help the situation, Krista was not a good fit.  Both Andrea Evans and Karen Witter played her as scheming, sexy, and at times selfish.  Malone’s Tina was a mess.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

AMC Tad Martin: I don’t remember liking anything with him after his cheating with Liza. They seemed to like constantly playing up the Tad the cad crap, which I was over. He had two potential romances with Simone and Cara I liked. I also liked the short storyline with Damon, too! 

Jesse Hubbard: I don’t think the writers knew what to do with him after his initial return storyline. They didn’t understand his character, and his importance to the genre and the show. I was highly disappointed in the way he was being written, he had plenty questionable moments. Darnell garnered the show its first Leading male Emmy I expected more for him.