• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If that was your point, then yes, you made it - he was a character who had a strong effect on the canvas, like many others. If you want to deify E.J. (or oh, I don''t know, Babe) as transformational for the genre or to the fabric of DAYS as a whole, then no, I'm sorry, that's fantasyland. Firing Reilly, just like hiring him, is what changed DAYS, and that firing corresponded to E.J.'s ascent as a character.

• Members

I think that's my point, I wasn't looking to 'deify' anyone, so much as just connecting a couple of dots together from a few overall trends. EJ was a unique character in that I genuinely couldn't find another character like him unless I went back an entire generation prior to his debut, coincidentally his rise to prominence occurred at the same time Days went through a tonal shift, changing the narrative direction of the show. After that you can make of it whatever you wish and draw your own conclusions. 

Edited by Skin

• Members

Exactly. He shouldn't have been Elvis Jr. LORD. Sigh. 

I definitely would have loved him being Tony and Anna's. I remember before they dumped Carrie in 2006 didn't EJ recognize her or vice versa? Ah what could have been.

I agree on him having a promising start otherwise. I wasn't going to go there but yeah the rape soured me. I also despised the pushing of Rafe and Sami as Roman and Marlena 2.0 and EJ as their Stefano. It didn't work. I also felt like Lucas was continually shoved aside by this point, but that's another rant for another day lol.

And then to have EJ/Sami become some supercouple? Nooooooo. I think it could have worked had they not had the rape (and better writing would have helped). I only enjoyed Sami/EJ when she was turning against him for his affair with Abby. I was ecstatic when Scott left and EJ was shot and left for dead like nothing. LOL.

I'm willing to give it a go but I'm just so mixed on the character I wish he'd have stayed dead (he became an albatross on Sami's back), but I get Ron, OF COURSE, wanting to go there. And agreed on Ron. I see potential, I always have, but he's SO messy (and petty) and just ... short sighted ... he needs a stronger Co-HW.

I agree that, storyline wise, it's the perfect opportunity to bring him back. I'd love to see the character just embrace being dark and cunning. I'm so torn on this character lol. I'm open to it yet I also wish he'd stayed dead. Hopefully the recast gives him a fresh start, like Barash did with Stefan (big mistake killing him for that stupid heart plot).

Edited by KMan101

• Members

do you mean on any soap or just DAYS because that's literally Luke and more recently Sonny. Sonny legitinaletly transmuted the entire fabric of GH/soap to the point where "he's bad, but so and so are worse!" etc. became the norm. I don't think any other soap character has changed an entire soap or the soap landscape in the way Sonny has, for better or worse. 

EJ otoh, was very meh but JS was gorgeous and charisatic and everyone hated/loved Sami and AS bolstered the character in a huge, huge way. JS/EJ wasn't a transformative character in the way that MB/Sonny was, because he didn't change stories/characters he touched like MB/Sonny did. You are giving EJ/JS way too much credit, imo. EJ was a really hot guy with an "untouchable" air about him, that was brought down to earth by his feelings for Sami. Sami humanized EJ which is what made fans start to fall for the character beyond his looks. 

• Members

I'm definitely open to him having a new face. He's in the new summer promo along with Johnny who is finally in Salem. Johnny better be EJ Jr. after spending all this time as Daddy's Boy LOL. The actor looks like he could play scheming.

• Members

no tea no shade, but EJ racast looks a mess in the promo and Bryan Dattilo looks a mess as usual. Why does Alison Sweeney have to be saddled with such tragic love prospects? Meanwhile Greg Vaughan's loking gorgeous as ever. Siiiigh! 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

yeah... no. I'm sorry, but we need to raise standards for men on these shows. Women have to keep it tight and right, but men can just look like slobs w/ double-chins, and it's like that's fine? Nope. Peter Reckell looked amazing all the way until the end, and Matthew Ashford continues to look good even tho he's *older* than both of these guys. I cannot. 

i mean people used to drag tf out of Freddie Smith and his double-chin for "letting himself go" but BD and nuEJ looks fine and dandy? Come on, now. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by dio