Y&R February 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What does Nick even do? Does he have a job? What does Phyllis do?  Do either of them have homes? They seem to spend all their time in the lobby of that dumb hotel talking about Summer and Kyle or Victoria and repetitive flirting. Neither seems to have much of a purpose anymore. No significant jobs, no rivalries, no friends, no homes, nothing resembling a story. 

Edited by Vizion

• Members

Lack of budget means no sets or extra characters,

That and years of poor stories mean Nick is pretty much superfluous at this point.

Its sad that CBS #1 soap hasn't been given financial support it needs.

I'm sure some of its primetime shows have ratings not far off Y&R but don't look like they were taped at the community center.

• Members

Unfair but because prime-time shows are in time-slots that are considered, well, prime, in terms of viewing, they command a higher caliber ad buy.

Over the past several years, I have been streaming classic daytime soaps on YT and can't help but noticed that, in the 80s, the ads tended to be more diverse and quite a few were upscale. Luxury cars, as well as household products and luxury perfumes, cosmetics and self-care products. The last time I watched a soap, I noticed that the ads seemed to feature items that were not nearly as diverse and seemed to be narrower in terms of socio-economic target. It seems like a vicious cycle in terms if money that shows the will be starved of.