RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What a lasting legacy Norman Lear has been able to leave behind. Those television shows will endure. We should all be so fortunate.

R.I.P. to Ms. Friedman. Life Goes On was a mostly sweet and optimistic series and what regular viewer didn’t feel joy for Corky when he found a special connection with that special someone?

• Members

Oh dammit. Norman Lear. I'd begun to think he'd never die. I'll always be so grateful for not only his classic shows but his wonderful resurgence in recent years.

If the OLTL death mentioned in its thread is accurate, it's already a hard week.

A thread:

• Members

Ellen Holly was a legend in her own time. The fact that OLTL had a central Black heroine and storyline early on - and then lost her, only touching base with the same press photo of Carla in her hospital gown whenever an anniversary came around - both fascinated and ate at me for years. It's always been my most fervent wish that OLTL could have properly honored her or her character's family when both the show and the performer were still with us, though she allegedly turned down several opportunities to return in her later years (possibly also in the final months). I still haven't let go of that dream in some way, really; silly of me. I remember seeing one of her last film performances in 10,000 Black Men Named George. She still had grace, presence and authority - but it's her Television Academy interview on YT everyone should see. Sharp, funny, expansive, richly detailed and beautifully eloquent.

The advent of YouTube has, at least, given us a window into some of her surviving work as an actor finally, letting us get to know Carla. And her stage work, too - I believe her King Lear with James Earl Jones, GH's Rosalind Cash, AMC's Lee Chamberlin, AW's Douglass Watson and more in Shakespeare in the Park is still on YT. I know more of her is out there somewhere waiting to be found. And her memoir is stunning. I'm glad we can never forget her.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Oh man, Ms. Holly was a pioneer in daytime television history. May she rest in peace. She wasn’t afraid to shake the table and use her status as a pioneer to illuminate all of her experiences in daytime soaps, regardless of whether she ruffled feathers.

It’s not silly at all. I had really become acquainted with her via her interviews with the We Love Soaps blog and Roger Newcomb (the daytime soaps industry owes him a debt of gratitude for his contribution and scholarship on the genre) . When TOLN/PP version of OLTL came out, I had this wish that somehow Corbin Bleus character would be tied to her. I guess I’m also silly.

• Members

I think about her & things that were going on & Paul Rauch & another producer & the words legendary & iconic & I have one more word to offer and that is an important one, truth-teller. We owe such a debt to those who are brave enough & have enough insight to be the truth-tellers to our society. God bless, Ellen Holly. I plan to re-read her book soonest. 

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/ellen-holly

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
combine 2 posts