RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Michael Ibo Cooper, co-founding member of legendary reggae band Third World died last night. May he R.I.P. 

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20231012/ibo-cooper-has-died

Third World’s discography is extraordinary and their songs, particularly during the time period of the 1970s & ‘80s never fails to move me.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

RIP Mark Goddard aka Ted Clayton on One Life to Live (Tina's faux father) and Derek Barrington on General Hospital (Amanda's actual son, but I don't think he was Alison's dad).

Edited by j swift

• Members

You’re welcome.
“Now That We Found Love” is such a great cover, it rivals the original imo. Bunny Rugs was the voice of that song, sadly, he died a few years ago. Third World is known for some really great live music. Michael Ibo Cooper was also a founding member of Inner Circle, I’m sure you’ve heard a couple of their songs (“Bad Boys Bad Boys whatcha gonna do…” and Sweat…”A Long Long Long Long Time”).

It’s so sad that Cooper lost his wife last month and his son in March. This year has been awful for so many people.

• Members

My first and best memory of her will always be the great Catherine Martell of Twin Peaks. Rumors abounded about Piper almost making an appearance in Season 3 but passing due to the very secretive and very sudden call schedule on that project, but she always remained very fond and complimentary of the show to the end. I wish she'd done it after all.

• Members

The echo of her voice as she yells out “They’re gonna laugh at you!” to Carrie, was haunting and is unforgettable.

Speaking of Laurie’s portrayal of a mother with a contentious relationship with her daughter, she also had a memorable turn as the feisty mother of Christine Baranski’s character, Dr. Nora on the sitcom Frasier. Too bad, there doesn’t seem to be a clip of her on YouTube yelling “You Lil’ Whooore!” at Baranski’s character Dr. Nora. The inflections of her voice was iconic in and of itself. Here is a clip of her speaking about her experience on Frasier and how she apparently made the producers nervous about her.

• Members

Yup, as a Gen-X'er, my first exposure to her was indeed her role as Carrie's zealot loon mother in Carrie. Scared the bejeesus out of me!

However, before he became a big star [and revealed himself to be a piece of s**t!], Mel Gibson and Piper Laurie starred in the movie, Tim, about a mentally disabled man that falls for an older woman. This was the late '70s/early '80s, apparently. (It was remade as a TV movie here in the '90s with Candice Bergen having the role Piper Laurie played.)

The latter was a novel before the film by Colleen McCullough who, naturally, was more well known for The Thorn Birds.