Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This definitely paints the frustration picture that a lot of healthcare workers have to deal with due to unvaccinated people coming down with COVID. I can definitely understand their frustration towards those people who are setting their communities back and overworking them. 

Also, I am seeing more stories of people who didn't get the vaccine/waited too long to get it getting serious cases/dying of COVID. Today I saw a story of a 13 year old girl from Arkansas who is now on a ventilator because her mother refused to get the vaccine and didn't let the girl get it either.

13-Year-Old Arkansas Girl on Ventilator Fights for Her Life After Getting Covid (msn.com)

The mother now is regretful and is urging people to get the shots. I also just read a story from a woman who now has to care for her sister's four children, because her sister died very recently of COVID. Her sister decided to  "wait and see" and ended up going in for breathing problems one day and died the next due to COVID. This lady is now also warning people about being unvaccinated. 

There will continue to be more stories like this as long as people choose not to be vaccinated.  And it's really unfortunate and largely preventable. I know people who refuse to get vaccinated even though they've had relatives with severe cases of Covid, who had to stay in the hospital. It's a shame. 

• Members

I wonder if those numbers are largely like this because there are a lot of unvaccinated children in the state. That might be a big reason why those numbers are the way they are. 

If anyone is still unable to get the vaccine for a legitimate reason (like someone that might be homebound for some reason. Or homeless people. Or some other exception), I definitely hope people can get it to them. Or get them to it. And I will be glad when children under 12 are able to get it.

That being said, I still believe that the majority of people who are choose to be unvaccinated (exceptions being kids/immunocompromised people) have had adequate access to knowledge and the vaccine. This vaccine has been around going on six months now, (maybe longer than that). I had access to it through my job going back to late January, when I took my first shot. That's going on six months. And I have co-workers who were provided with the same access who straight up refused to take the vaccine.  And they are some of the ones right now running around without masks on. Granted not everyone was able to get it as early as I did. But a lot of people have had enough time, it's been widely available for a few months now for a lot people. It's unacceptable that more than 50% of this country is still unvaccinated (even when you factor in those who can't get it right now)., with the access a lot of people have had. Countries like Cuba would love to have our supply of vaccines. 

A lot of people refuse to take it including people who have had loved ones in the hospital. I know people who have had parents and grandparents in the hospital with severe cases of Covid, who still refuse to take this vaccine. They say they aren't going to take it or are in the "wait and see" category. You can't do anything with that. Unless you mandate it.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I wasn't eligible for a first dose in my state until late April. And by then it was hard to get an appointment. I got my first dose in May and second in June.

Many countries don't have any doses available.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

That's understandable. I wasn't aiming that other countries, particularly those who don't have the supply/access right now. I'm aiming that at people in the US, many of whom have had access to these vaccines that straight up won't take them. I know a lot of people like this and there is too many people like that in the US. IMO, that's unacceptable.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Exactly right. Being in the health care field, I jumped at the chance to get vaccinated. I had my first Pfizer dose on 1/23 and the second on 2/13. This was before incentives were offered, but I wouldn't have needed an incentive. To me, the vaccine was its own reward.

The people who have chosen not to get vaccinated at this point won't be moved. So you have to shun them from events and such that vaccinated people have access to. I really resent the fact that a public health crisis, of all things, was politicized. I still carry a lot of anger towards certain people in the last administration and certain people who are still in Congress. They will always have blood on their hands. 

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

My husband and I are fully vaccinated and have been since February.  I was just beginning to loosen up and leave the house, but now it seems fully vaccinated people are coming down with the new variant and I'm back to being paranoid about being around anybody except close family.  This really is beginning to suck and I totally blame the ignorant fools who refuse vaccinations.

• Members

Yeah, my first shot was on January 25th, the second was February 16th . They mentioned at work in January they were going to help us get vaccinated if we wanted and like a week or two later, they started letting go to a facility on the clock to start to get our shots. I was off the first day they had people sign up to go on days. The first groups went on that Thursday January 21st and Friday January 22nd. I talked to one of my bosses about it and I was able to go that Monday, the 25th.

There were some of us who were fortunate enough to get this opportunity early on and pretty much went and got it as soon as we could. We didn't drag our feet on it. And yet here we are going into August, and people are still refusing to take it and some are claiming they are taking the "wait and see approach". Even though over 160 million people have been fully vaccinated and the vast majority of people who have taken it have been fine. The refusal to take it/wait and see approach is proving costly. For some people it's proven to be too late.

Here is another story about two young men that were unvaccinated in their 20's who got serious covid. One had to have a double lung transplant and the other may have to get one. The one that got the lung transplant went to an indoor party and told his mother that he was going to wait "ten years" before he got the vaccine, when she talked with him about getting it. Now he may end up having health problems for the rest of his life, in addition to very costly medical bills.

The second guy was from Canada, and was only eligible a week for the vaccine before he got it at work. His situation is a bit more sympathetic IMO. Yet, his mother still won't say for sure she will get a vaccine even after all that has happened to her son. Even when stuff like this happens you still have people that won't get the vaccine. 

'Horrific': 2 unvaccinated Covid patients require lung transplant, partial lung removal (nbcnews.com)

Edited by xtr