Procter & Gamble Gets Ready to Enter TV’s Streaming Wars

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are many great quality videos, OTOH there are quite a few that I wish had better visual quality, particularly ATWT And boy, I'd love to see some of those missing episodes, especially the ones containing storyline conclusions and special occasions (costume balls) that I literally haven't seen since I was a child. 

It would be a trade off for sure but there's nothing like being able to watch vintage episodes with crystal clear visual quality.  Also, if there were one site that everyone could go to, P&G would see just how much interest remains in their titles.  No offense but when you have a bunch of sites, it can split the numbers, with a few hundred going to one site, a few thousand another, etc., which tends to make the numbers look paltry in comparison.

But it's all moot since we know that P&G is not about to do jack with their holdings.

• Members

P&G likely has the largest single vault of content in the industry. Let’s just use approx 1978 as based when wiping stopped and 250 episodes a season, it totals 25000+: 

ATWT - 32 years - 8000

GL - 31 years - 7750

AW - 21 years - 5250

SFT -  9 years - 2250

TEON - 7 years - 1750

Texas - 3 years - 625 

That doesn’t even count other earlier episodes that likely exist somewhere. I get there’s probably actor contract and music rights issues, especially during the 80s, but that can’t be the barrier.

I guess I don’t understand why they won’t try to license even one of the shows to like Amazon Prime (Dark Shadows) or CBS All Access since most have roots deep in CBS family. They aren’t making money sitting in the vault. 

• Members

I'd love to see the episodes with Frannie and Daryl in Switzerland which aren't on YouTube. Lily and Holden first wedding with HR in the role. Connor's first appearance on ATWT and her takeover episodes of Walsh Enterprise from Lucinda to name a few.

• Members

Well, I agree about doing a modern-day EON.  They could pick up things in the present, or simply re-boot, with a new, younger Mike Karr fighting crime as Monticello's new D.A.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Could this be the year of soaps finally getting their due on streaming? We have the rumors Peacock is trying to get DAYS library on their service, Retro TV is creating a streaming service including even more episodes of The Doctors than what they aired and now potentially this. I feel like their soaps must make an appearance in some form considering they have digitized so much of it already. You have all of the AW from SOAPnet, Hulu and when they were on AOL, the other soaps that were on AOL and of course AW and GL would've been on CBS.com so you *at least* have their last 10 years ready to go. 

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for this!

• Members

Yep. TEON as a 30-minute revival by far the easiest. Good grief, L&O basically took a big part of the EON format (cops & DA) and created an empire!

Sleaser constructed intricate, but finite, crime and mysteries stories where romance was included, but rarely the driver. It’s the primary reason why EON had such a huge male audience. And that could be replicated. ATWT/GL are saddled with a lot of history that would be tougher to continue. 

ITA - younger Mike Carr, a new PD, and, of course, with Sharon Gabet (Raven) as the matriarch of Monticello/Whitney Empire would work. Oh well, it’s fun to fantasize! 

• Members

True. EON would be the easiest. They could go the route of doing a modern day reboot or simply continuing where the show left off with a grandson. Either one would work. 

GL, AW, and ATWT can be easily revived as well seeing as many of the cast members are still about. I am pretty sure a lot of them will be open to returning. I'd just suggest all the show revert back to 30 minutes. 

• Members

Yes! It could be a good year ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well but trying to not get my hopes too high, lol.

Like you said though, in the case of P&G soaps they should be able to easily launch with a lot available, should they so choose. It would also be a very easy way to snag a lot of us who wouldn't subscribe otherwise. But they didn't seem to give a damn about the soaps (didn't they refuse CBS buying ATWT/GL?) so ... I'm keeping expectations in check, lol