Alison Sweeney Back to ‘DAYS’

Errol

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She is.  But I don't believe her finances are what she's concerned about.

On the one hand, I think Sweeney would like to spread her metaphorical wings, as "The Biggest Loser" and her stuff for the Hallmark channels prove.  (Yes, I know, Hallmark ain't much, but even their crappy movies have more street cred in the industry than soaps these days, lol).  However, what if she REALLY moves on -- like, say, Justin Hartley and Shemar Moore have -- and flops?  What if she attempts to return permanently at that point, but, for whatever reason, DAYS says, "Nah, we're good"?  (I doubt that would ever happen, but you never know.)

Worst-case scenario (for Sweeney): DAYS decides they need Sami back permanently, but they recast because she (Sweeney) just can't bring herself to work there full-time again.  If they do, and that recast actually clicks with the audience, then Ali's metaphorical goose could be cooked, depending on how successful she is away from soaps.  Again, not likely to happen, but always a possibility.

At least, that's my take on the issue.  She might have other reasons why she always keeps one foot in the door and one foot out.  Who knows?

If I were her, though, or if I were someone close to her, I would tell her to take the risk and leave DAYS altogether.  Don't make yourself available for further appearances.  Just really GET out there and build a career in primetime/cable/streaming; starting with guest shots, then working your way up to a regular gig.  Soaps are filled with enough actors who are too bitter because they didn't get out when they still had the chance, or THOUGHT they had the chance.  Don't be like them, Ali.

Especially when, IMO, her appearances don't serve the story at all.  She pops up, wrecks some [!@#$%^&*], wails AGAIN about E.J., says "Peace out," and everything's either dropped or left hanging until she pops up again -- which is usually months later, after the momentum has vanished.

As someone who had to rewrite Dena Higley's putrid scripts on the fly (and got an EP fired for it, but that's another story), she should recognize the kind of chaos her infrequent appearances are wreaking on everyone else's storylines and just...let go.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Unlike JMW, though, Sweeney is building up a portfolio apart from DAYS, thanks to all her Hallmark-related projects.  Which is smart, because it IS getting her name out there among folks who don't typically follow the soaps.  It doesn't seem that way now, but her continued association with Hallmark will pay off for her someday, if she's smart.  Sooner or later, though, she's gonna have to quit straddling that fence and decide whether she's still "all-in" with DAYS or whether she has firmly moved on.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I agree with you on everything you've said. 

This return hasn't gotten much "yay". It's been a lot of the same reactions in this thread ...

She might as well just be recurring at least and pop in for more than a month or two a year ...

I believe that Alan guy on Twitter suggested Jessica Collins as a recast and I have to say I love the idea for some reason. I don't know why but I do. Though I know many probably would want Gina Tognoni.

• Members

Gina would play a really good butch Sami and Jessica would be great as the Sami the show shills now.  

I've never been a much of a grown up Sami fan the AS hype is too much.  I'd bring back new Sami aka Claire.  Why they didn't keep both Ciara and Claire is one of the reasons soaps are all but dead!  

• Members

I wouldn't mind seeing Jessica Collins on DAYS (or any soap), but as a Sami recast...?  I dunno, I think she'd be better off coming aboard as a new character, or at least a recast of one we haven't seen in a very long time.  Like, maybe Noelle Curtis?