The Preemption/Out of Pattern Thread

• Members

The Ratings in the '80s thread, particularly the comments about shows not airing or at unusual times in certain markets, has inspired me to start this thread. It's as thorough as we can make it, I guess. A few months ago, I stumbled upon Radio Discussions, which has a lot of vintage, market-specific listings. The only thing that stinks is that they're from certain time periods. I guess I'll have to do some cross-referencing. Everyone's welcome to join, especially those who have specific memories. Certainly something to keep busy with for a while. Anyway ...

ABC

RYAN'S HOPE

-- Did not air on WITI, Milwaukee's ABC station, as of late October 1975. The timeslot (12 p.m. Central/1 p.m. Eastern) was used for news.

-- Did not air on WDTN, Dayton's ABC station, as of mid-October 1984. The noon timeslot went to news.

-- Aired at 9 a.m., apparently on a delay, on WKRC, Cincinnati's ABC station, as of mid-October 1984. The noon timeslot went to news.

GENERAL HOSPITAL

-- Did not air on WDTN as of mid-October 1984. The station ran cartoons from 3-5 p.m.

THE EDGE OF NIGHT

-- Did not air on WDTN as of mid-October 1984, preempted for the cartoon block.

-- Aired at 9:30 a.m., apparently on a delay, on WKRC. The 4 p.m. timeslot went to The Dukes of Hazzard.

CBS

SEARCH FOR TOMORROW

-- Did not air on WISN, Milwaukee's CBS station, as of late October 1975. SEARCH's timeslot and the free half-hour following were used for Dialing For Dollars.

NBC

SEARCH FOR TOMORROW

-- Aired at 1:30 p.m. on WLWT, Cincinnati's NBC station, as of mid-October 1984. WLWT took some interesting liberties with NBC's lineup. DOOL in the morning, Sale of the Century at 1 p.m. and Wheel of Fortune at 4. The only network shows not to be jumbled around were Today (obviously), Scrabble, Another World and Santa Barbara.

-- Did not air on WKEF, Dayton's NBC station, as of mid-October 1984. The station aired All in the Family.

DAYS OF OUR LIVES

-- Aired at 10:30 a.m. on WLWT as of mid-October 1984

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have not been able to find out whether or not The Doctors aired on my local NBC affiliate (WKYC Channel 3 in Cleveland) right up to the series finale in December 1982. I know many other major markets dumped it before NBC did, as what later happened with its other low-rated soaps like SB. Maybe one of these days, I will have to check out the microfiche in the library to find daily TV listings from back then.

• Members

A lot of affiliates dropped Port Charles or aired it in late night for its final 3-4 weeks since the new daytime season began around the second week of September but PC aired until October 3rd. 

Didn't like half of all markets throughout the country drop Edge Of Night by the time it ended in December '84? I think I read a lot of affiliates dropped it around September '84. 

Question: For anyone familiar with Mountain Time Zone, when did they air their soap schedules? I remember over two decades ago visiting family in the northwest corner of Iowa and they got signals from stations in Sioux Falls South Dakota, and they advertised Bold and Beautiful coming on at 11:30am, which leads me to think their soap block would be 10:30am to 2pm? Or perhaps that particular affiliate aired B&B before Y&R

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

I have a handful of southern Georgia TV grids I'll flip through. I don't know standard air times for everyone, so I'll list everyone the grid.

August 1975

WMAZ (Macon): General Hospital, 9:30 a.m.; Love of Live, 11:30 a.m.; Young and the Restless, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2 p.m.; Edge of Night, 2:30 p.m.

WRLB (Columbus): Love of Life, 11:30 a.m.; Young and the Restless, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2 p.m.; Edge of Night, 2:30 p.m.

WCTV (Tallahassee FL): Love of Life, 11:30 a.m.; Young and the Restless, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2 p.m.; Edge of Night, 2:30 p.m.

WTVY (Dothan AL)*: Love of Life, 11:30 a.m.; Young and the Restless, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2 p.m.; Edge of Night, 2:30 p.m.

WAGA (Atlanta): Love of Life, 11:30 a.m. No other soaps listed on afternoon grid, but nothing else was listed in those slots, either.

WSB (Atlanta): Days of Our Lives, 1:30 p.m.; Doctors, 2:30 p.m.; Another World, 3 p.m. No other soaps listed on afternoon grid, but nothing else was listed in those slots, either.

WTVM (Columbus): All My Children, 12:30 p.m.; Ryan's Hope, 1 p.m.; General Hospital, 3 p.m.; One Life to Live, 3:30 p.m.

WALB (Albany): Days of Our Lives, 1:30 p.m.; Doctors, 2:30 p.m.; Another World, 3 p.m.; Somerset, 4 p.m.

WQXI (Atlanta): All My Children, 12:30 p.m.; Ryan's Hope, 1 p.m.; General Hospital, 3 p.m.; One Life to Live, 3:30 p.m.

* WTVY is Central Time. Everyone is Eastern. Don't know if Dothan was showing these at the times listed for Eastern or Central time zones.

September 1968

Southern Georgia apparently could not pick up ABC over the air at this time. Their ABC coverage was a bit iffy until 1982 when the area actually got an ABC affiliate.

WRBL (Columbus): Love of Life, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Love is a Many Splendoured Thing, 2 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2:30 p.m.; Secret Storm, 3 p.m.; Edge of Night, 3:30 p.m.

WTVY (Dothan AL): Love of Life, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Love is a Many Splendoured Thing, 2 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2:30 p.m.; Secret Storm, 3 p.m.; Edge of Night, 3:30 p.m. WTVY times are for the Central Time Zone.

WJXT (Jacksonville FL): Love of Life, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Love is a Many Splendoured Thing, 2 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2:30 p.m.; Secret Storm, 3 p.m.; Edge of Night, 3:30 p.m.

WCTV (Tallahassee FL): Love of Life, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Love is a Many Splendoured Thing, 2 p.m.; Guiding Light, 2:30 p.m.; Secret Storm, 3 p.m.; Edge of Night, 3:30 p.m.

WALB (Albany): Days of Our Lives, 2 p.m.; The Doctors, 2:30 p.m.; Another World, 3 p.m.

I'll dig up more of these if anyone's curious.

• Members

Some more.

ABC

THE EDGE OF NIGHT

-- Not airing on WTNH, the New Haven, Connecticut affiliate, as of Oct. 1981. The 4 p.m. hour was used for Merv Griffin.

-- Airing on a delay at 9:30 a.m. on WGGB, the Springfield affiliate, as of Oct. 1981. The 4 p.m. hour was used for The Waltons.

RYAN'S HOPE

-- Airing at 11:30 a.m. on WJLA, the Washington, D.C. affiliate, as of Oct. 1985. The 12 p.m. slot was used for news.

-- Not airing on WJZ, the Baltimore affiliate, as of Oct. 1985. The 12 p.m. slot was used for news.

-- Not airing on WTAE, the Pittsburgh affiliate, as of Oct. 1985. The 12 p.m. slot was used for news.

LOVING

-- Not airing on WTSP, the St. Petersburg, Florida, affiliate, as Oct. 1989. The 12:30 slot was used for The Judge.

CBS

AS THE WORLD TURNS

-- Not airing on KDKA, the Pittsburgh affiliate, as of Oct. 1985.

CAPITOL

-- Airing at 1:30 p.m. on KDKA, the Pittsburgh affiliate, as of Oct. 1985. The 2 p.m. hour was used for Pittsburgh 2Day.

THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

-- Not airing on WTVT, the Tampa affiliate, as of Oct. 1989. Eye on Tampa Bay ran at 12:30, followed by Y&R.

• Members

September 1963
No ABC stations in the area. WJXT was CBS, but had a secondary ABC affiliation at this time. It did not run ABC soaps. WCTV (also CBS) also had a secondary ABC affiliation, but was not running a full slate of CBS soaps, much less anything of ABC.

WJXT (Jacksonville FL): Love of Life, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; Guiding Light, 12:45 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Edge of Night, 3:30 p.m.; Secret Storm, 4 p.m.

WCTV (Tallahassee FL): Love of Life, noon; Guiding Light, 12:45 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Edge of Night, 3:30 p.m.; Secret Storm, 4 p.m. WCTV aired a CBS news program at 12:30.

WALB (Albany): The Doctors, 2:30 p.m.

August 1960
ABC affiliations work the same way in 1960 as they do in 1963. WCTV and WJXT both have secondary affiliations behind CBS, but aren't using soap programming from them. WCTV ran even less of the CBS soap schedule at this time.

WJXT (Jacksonville FL): Clear Horizon, 11:30 a.m.; Love of Life, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30 p.m.; Guiding Light, 12:45 p.m.; As the World Turns, 1:45 p.m.; Full Circle, 2 p.m.; The Brighter Day, 4 p.m.; Secret Storm, 4:15 p.m.; Edge of Night, 4:30 p.m.

WCTV (Tallahassee FL): Far Horizon*, 11:30 a.m.; Love of Life, noon; Full Circle, 2 p.m.; The Brighter Day, 4 p.m.; Secret Storm, 4:15 p.m.

* Misprint of Clear Horizon?

WALB (Albany): Young Dr. Malone, 3 p.m.; From These Roots, 3:30 p.m.

Edited by Titus Andronicus