The Preemption/Out of Pattern Thread

• Members

December 1953

KVTV (Sioux City IA) - Love of Life, 11:15; Search for Tomorrow, 11:30. Went on air at 10 a.m.

KELO (Sioux Falls SD)  - No soaps. Went on air at 4:30 p.m.

WOW (Omaha) - Hawkins Falls, 10 a.m.; The Bennetts, 10:15; Three Steps to Heaven, 10:30; Follow Your Heart, 10:45. Went on air during weekdays at 7 a.m.

KSTP (Minneapolis) - Hawkins Falls, 10 a.m.; The Bennett Story, 10:15; Three Steps to Heaven, 10:30; Follow Your Heart, 10:45. Went on air at 7 a.m.

WCCO (Minneapolis) - Valiant Lady, 11 a.m.; Love of Life, 11:15; Search for Tomorrow, 11:30; Guiding Light, 11:45. Went on air at 7:15 a.m.

KMTV (Omaha) - Valiant Lady 11 a.m.; Love of Life, 11:15; Search for Tomorrow, 11:30; Guiding Light, 11:45. Went on air at 8:45 a.m.

August 1957

KLEW (Lewiston ME) - Love of Life, 12:45; Brighter Day, 2:30; Edge of Night, 3:30; Search for Tomorrow, 4:15

No As the World Turns, Guiding Light or Secret Storm. Soaps are oddly broken up and none air at the usual times.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My area of south Louisiana receives stations from both New Orleans and Baton Rouge, and each market has scheduled soaps differently. I can only speak for the early 2000s, but reading this thread has made me curious about past decades.

ABC:
WGNO (NO) airs daytime as scheduled by ABC.
WBRZ (BR) aired an hour-long newcast in AMC's timeslot, making AMC air an hour earlier on a day-behind schedule and booting Port Charles completely.

CBS
WWL (NO) airs daytime as scheduled by CBS.
WAFB (BR) aired B&B, ATWT, and GL as scheduled, but The Price is Right aired an hour later than its CBS timeslot, pushing Y&R to air in the afternoon at 4pm central. That late airing was a huge convenience for Y&R fans who worked or missed the morning airing for whatever reason, but as of this fall, WAFB airs the whole lineup as scheduled by CBS (afternoon Y&R replaced by Kelly Clarkson).

NBC
WDSU (NO) airs DAYS an hour late, and Passions aired an hour later as well. I still think of DAYS as competing with OLTL/ATWT and PSNS as competing with GH/GL.
We don't receive WVLA from Baton Rouge, but they air daytime as scheduled by NBC.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You're welcome @Franko . I'm sure you can unearth some more info.

Seeing the schedules of different cities we get ideas as to which network is strongest in each market. It's been posted here over the years that CBS is strong in the Midwest and South and ABC is strong in the Northeast and West Coast. Not sure where NBC fits in regionally.

I've always found it interesting that Y&R's number one CBS station was not one of the flagships (WCBS New York, KCBS Los Angeles), or even WBBM Chicago, considering Y&R films in Los Angeles at CBS Television City and the Bells were based in Chicago for years. I read once that on an international level Y&R's number one station is Global Toronto. 

• Members

Thanks for the reminder. I've had a few I've been meaning to post.

September 1956

Everyone was on Central Time, but only KFVS was on Central Daylight Time. Everyone else was Central Standard Time.

KFVS (Cape Girardeau MO) - Valiant Lady, 10; Love of Life, 10:15; Search for Tomorrow, 10:30; Guiding Light, 10:45; As the World Turns, 11:30; Brighter Day, 2; Secret Storm, 2:15; Edge of Night, 2:30.

Times different than the standard schedule for the majority of these.

WSM (Nashville TN) - Modern Romances, 3:45 p.m.; Went on air at 1 p.m.

WMCT (Memphis) - No soaps. Went on air at 1 p.m.

WHBQ (Memphis) - No soaps. Went on air at 1 p.m.

KSD (St. Louis) - Modern Romances, 3:45 p.m. Went on air at 2 p.m.

Modern Romances is not listed on the standard Fall 1956 soap schedule, so it seems to have been discontinued at about this time.

KWK (St. Louis) - Brighter Day, 3; Secret Storm, 3:15; Edge of Night, 3:30. Went on air at 2:30 p.m.

WREC (Memphis) - Brighter Day, 2; Secret Storm, 2:15; Edge of Night, 2:30. Went on air at 1 p.m.

October 1973

WCYB (Bristol VA) - Days of Our Lives, 2; The Doctors, 2:30; Another World, 3; Return to Peyton Place, 3:30; Somerset, 4.

WKPT (Kingsport TN) - All My Children, 1; General Hospital, 3; One Life to Live, 3:30

WJHL (Johnson City TN) - Love of Life, 11:30; Young and the Restless, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30; As the World Turns, 1:30; Guiding Light, 2; Edge of Night, 2:30; Secret Storm, 4.

July 1955

WMAZ (Macon GA) - Search for Tomorrow, 11:30 a.m.; Guiding Light, 11:45; Brighter Day, 3.

Was not airing Valiant Lady, Love of Life or Secret Storm.

WSB (Atlanta) - Concerning Miss Marlowe, 2:45 p.m.; Way of the World, 3; First Love, 3:15;  The World of Mr. Sweeney, 3:30; Modern Romances, 3:45

These were all an hour ahead of the standard schedule.

December 1966

WRDW (Augusta GA) Love of Life, noon; Search for Tomorrow, 12:30; Guiding Light, 12:45; As the World Turns, 1:30; Edge of Night, 3:30; Secret Storm, 4.

WJBF (Augusta GA) Days of Our Lives, 2; The Doctors, 2:30; Another World, 3; Dark Shadows, 4; General Hospital, 4:30. 

WJBF had secondary ABC status and ran a portion of its soap schedule.

• Members

Comparing and contrasting Oklahoma City for April 1987 and April 1990.

KTVY 4, later KFOR (NBC)

DOOL aired at 3 p.m., after AW (1 p.m.) and SB (2 p.m.) in both instances. In 1990, GEN aired at 12:30 p.m.

(KTVY cleared all of NBC's game show lineup -- Sale of the Century, Blockbusters, Wheel of Fortune, Scrabble, Super Password and Wordplay -- during the 9-11 a.m. hours in 1987. By 1990, that time was filled by Regis and Kathie Lee, Joan Rivers, and the network lineup of The Golden Girls reruns and Marsha Warfield's talk show. Like the other network affiliates, Channel 4 had a 12 p.m. newscast. Divorce Court aired at 12:30 in 1987.)

KOCO 5 (ABC)

1987: LOV aired at 10:30 a.m., followed by AMC at 11, local news at 12, RH at 12:30, OLTL at 1 and GH at 2.

(Loving shared the 10 a.m. hour with Sally Jessy Raphael, whose show was still offered in a 30-minute format in '87. Both Loving and All My Children aired on a one-day delay.)

1990: LOV at 10, Home at 10:30, AMC at 11, local news at 12, The People's Court at 12:30, OLTL at 1 and GH at 2.

(Sally got promoted to the post-GMA slot at 9, while Donahue moved to 4 p.m.)

KWTV 9 (CBS)

In both instances, TPIR at 10, Y&R at 11, news at 12, B&B at 12:30, ATWT at 1, GL at 2, Oprah at 3, a game at 4 (syndicated versions of The Newlywed Game, then Family Feud) and Jeopardy! at 4:30. The syndicated Wheel of Fortune had the prized pre-prime time slot of 6:30 p.m. both years.

Edited by Franko

• Members

Boy, does this take me back!  (I'm from the OKC area).  I still remember rushing back home from school to catch the second half of DAYS.  (I lived literally next door to my elementary school at that point.)

Years later, when I went off to college (Oklahoma State), I learned the ABC Tulsa affiliate, which our dorm carried on the in-house cable network along with KOCO, aired AMC at noon WITHOUT the one-day delay.  So, I could watch AMC on KOCO at 11 am (like always), then immediately watch the next episode at noon on the Tulsa affiliate.  If not for the fact that 1997-98 was not a great period for this AMC fan, it was great, lol!

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's the little victories, you know?

Could it possibly have started earlier than that? I just found a listing for Jan. 2, 1998 that has "TBA" for the 9 a.m. hour. Martha Stewart Living and Gayle King's shows filled the post-ATWT hour (2 p.m.) on WBBM.

Speaking of Chicago, we've got

WBBM: news and Y&R, then B&B from 11-1, ATWT at 1 and the above-mentioned ladies at 2.

WMAQ: DOOL at 11, AW at 12 and SB at 1 (With Jerry Springer at 2, the lead-in to Rosie O'Donnell, of all shows.)

WLS: PC and news at 11, AMC at 12, OLTL at 1 and GH at 2

Over in Nashville around this time ...

WKRN didn't air PC (unless it was late at night); AMC at 11, news at 12; OLTL at 1, GH at 2 and Jenny Jones at 3

WSMV had news at 11; Sunset Beach straddling the hour, Inside Edition at 12:30, AW at 1, DOOL at 2 and People's Court at 3

WTVF had news at 11; Y&R straddling the hour, Talk of the Town at 12:30, B&B at 1:30, GL at 2 and ATWT at 3

GH was still not airing on WDTN (Dayton) as 1989 drew to a close. This time, Geraldo Rivera had the spot. He aired at 4 p.m., after GH, on the Cinci station, WKRC. The other Dayton and Cincinnati stations aired the soaps in pattern.

Finally, northern Colorado in mid-Nov. 1994, where the soaps are all over the place:

KCNC (NBC): Colorado Today at 10, Other Side at 11; news at 12, Leeza at 1, AW at 2 and DOOL at 3

KGWN (CBS in Cheyenne, Wyoming): Y&R at 10, Love Connection at 11, B&B at 11:30, ATWT at 12, GL at 1, Ricki Lake at 2, Jenny Jones at 3

KMGH (CBS in Denver): B&B at 10, TPIR at 10:30, news at 11:30, Y&R at 12, ATWT at 1, GL at 2 and Sally at 3

(KMGH also had Regis and Kathie Lee at 9 and Oprah at 4)

KUSA (ABC): No LOV; Geraldo at 10; AMC at 11; news and Start to Finish (?) at 12; GH at 1, OLTL at 2; Maury at 3

Forgive all these mentions of non-soap programming, but I think it's interesting to note what the heavy-hitters (in soaps and talk) face off against.

Edited by Franko

• Members

That's my affiliate! And while I never watched GL, my grandmother (RIP! ♥) was a CBS soap devotee and she hated that move. I had to set her VCR for her to record it after that change. I will note that - years later - it was moved to 10:00 a.m. (not much difference, I know) and remained a day behind to the very end, at least around here.

• Members

Guiding Light was moved to the mornings on the owned and operated CBS stations in the mid-90s for a short-lived show called Day and Date. This happened after certain areas started moving Guiding Light on their own to the morning due to OJ related programming in the afternoon.

• Members

Generations started 1990 airing at 12:30 on WSAV in Savannah, Georgia. By December of that year, the show must have been dropped, since its timeslot was being used for Sanford and Son reruns. The lead-in was Good Times reruns, which aired after Marsha Warfield's show. All the other soaps aired in their usual times on WSAV, WTOC (CBS) and WJCL (ABC).

An update on Spokane: By October 1987, KXLY was airing Ryan's Hope (at 11 a.m.), but not Loving (Truth or Consequences aired at 11:30). Meanwhile, over on KREM, Y&R aired at 3, after GL (news was the lead-in for B&B, airing at 12:30 p.m.). Nothing really out of the ordinary for KHQ, unless you count passing on Super Password (at 11 a.m.) to air Laverne & Shirley reruns.

Edited by Franko

• Members

B&B in the Northwest states is interesting. As far as Washington goes, Spokane and Yakima aired it from day 1 it seems (there was a 1990 episode posted in the B&B old articles thread that was recorded from the CBS station in Yakima) but Seattle didn't air B&B until 1994. I think Portland was another city that didn't air B&B until the mid-1990s, but I'm not sure about the rest of Oregon or even Idaho.

Edited by kalbir