The Preemption/Out of Pattern Thread

• Members

These listings cover the area between Buffalo and Toronto. Interesting that the cable providers carry network affiliates from both Buffalo and Erie.

CBS Buffalo aired Guiding Light at 10 am but I'm guessing CBS Erie aired GL at 3 pm, even though it's not listed. 

As for the Canadian networks at the time, Global had Y&R, Days, General Hospital; CTV had B&B and Another World; CHCH had As the World Turns; CBC had All My Children. Of the long-running soaps, Guiding Light and One Life to Live were not broadcast by a Canadian network at the time.

I've pierced together this history about Canadian soap broadcasts in the last 20 years. Any Canadians here can correct me if I'm wrong:

General Hospital moves from Global to Citytv where it remains to this day. Y&R and Days remain on Global to this day.

After NBC cancels Another World and debuts Passions, CTV also picks up Passions. CTV broadcasts Passions for about a year then Passions moves to Global where it remains until its cancelled by NBC. B&B remains on CTV to this day.

As the World Turns moves from CHCH to Global where it remains until its cancelled by CBS.

CBC drops All My Children and doesn't pick up any more soaps afterward.

I'm still curious if viewers in Buffalo could get Global Toronto and watch the day-ahead Y&R.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Was the ABC trifecta AMC, OLTL, and GH the most respected soaps by affiliates as far as scheduling and timeslot. I feel like you don't really hear about many affiliates having aired those three out of pattern or if they did not at an unusual or unreasonable timeslot like some of the other soaps. 

• Members

Some stations out west (KUSA & later KMGH Denver, KVIA ABC, KIVI Boise) would flip flop GH and OLTL and I know many CT stations would air AMC a day behind but other than there was nothing quite as dramatic as some of the schedules of CBS stations in the Mountain Time Zone.

• Members

ABC soaps do seem like they're more intact, but on the other hand, ABC didn't have the penetration that CBS and NBC did. ABC wasn't around as much in rural-ish areas and so their soaps were moved around or incompletely aired by stations with secondary ABC affiliation.

Where I'm from didn't have a full ABC station until 1982. The station went out of business 10 years later and it was another decade until local ABC existed again. 

• Members

Well, I haven't talked about Albuquerque's off beat schedules over the years. When I first moved there in June 1997 the Daytime schedules looked like looked like this: 

KOB: 

10AM Leeza

11AM Days

12PM AW

1PM Beach

KOAT: 

11AM: AMC

1PM: OLTL

2PM: GH

*Both the View and PC aired overnight. The station always carried PC for its entirety at a 1:05 AM timeslot as it ran a full hour news at noon. 

KRQE: 

9AM: TPIR

10AM: ATWT

1:30PM B&B

2PM: GL

3PM: Y&R

Then in September KRQE's schedule became this: 

10AM ATWT

11AM TPIR

12:30 B&B

1PM: Y&R

By September 1999, KOAT finally aired The View at 10AM, while KOB pushed Beach off to an overnight slot for its last three months and debuted a noon newscast, so then it was: 

11AM: Days

1PM: Passions

By September 2000, it became: 

1PM: Days

2PM: Passions(until cancellation)

In September 2007 KOAT bizarrely cancelled their noon newshour newscast quite abruptly, so their schedule then became: 

12PM AMC

1PM OLTL

2PM GH

Finally in September 2009 two months before I moved out of Albuquerque, after GL ended KRQE's schedule was: 

10AM LMAD

11AM TPIR

12:30 B&B

1PM Y&R

2PM ATWT

• Members

Thanks. Is it known why AMC was a day behind in CT? 

I wasn't aware how crazy affiliate programming can get especially for daytime until I started watching soaps and got on these boards. I'm in the NYC area so all my stations are O&O. When I started watching soaps on my own in 2003, aside from GL being on at 10am (which actually most CBS O&Os already made the move anyway by this time) all other soaps were scheduled at their 'usual' timeslot. I even remember PC being on at 12:30 after the news and it wasn't until it was at the very end that it was moved to the late night timeslot. Even before I started watching on my own, I  remember SB and AW and PAS always being on at their regular time in the 90s. I think the first time I was really thrown off was when I stopped watching soaps for a while and one day when I was home from work I decide to check in on Days at 1pm and something else was on. I thought it had been cancelled and I didn't know about it since it had been quite sometime since I even watched or followed any news regarding soaps. I quickly checked online and found out that it had moved to noon which was so weird at the time as I always remember it on at 1pm. Similarly, GH was on at 2pm on ABC which was also odd, but it's since returned to 3pm. 

@soapfan770 Interesting seeing ATWT at 10am and YR at 3pm. CBS did quiet a bit of shuffling

Edited by GLATWT88

• Members

A lot of ABC stations of course desired a noon news cast, and for some reason ABC only offered a 1PM ET/12PM CT feed for AMC, thus when the stations decided to air AMC at 11AM CT they had to air it a day behind, similar to how stations who aired GL in the mid-morning were a day behind until CBS offered up an actual 10AM feed in 2004. If I recall right ABC followed suit at some point after that for AMC

Contrast this to Y&R to which when they moved to 12:30PM ET/11:30 AMCT in June 1981 CBS also offered up a 12PM ET/11AM CT feed to which most CT CBS stations took advantage of, hence the Central Time Zone(as well as any MT stations that air Y&R at 10AM) sees Y&R live thirty minutes ahead of Eastern Time Zone. Other than WJMN in Marquette Michigan, I don't know if any other CBS stations on ET have ever run Y&R at 12PM since CBS began offering that feed in 1981. 

• Members

Haha! I just realized I was misunderstanding CT as Connecticut not Central Time

Please register in order to view this content

I was wondering why only Connecticut was a day behind :)) It would seem obvious to offer another feed for the time zone, but either way these daytime irregularities are interesting to me. 

• Members

Once CBS set their soap block at 3 1/2 hours, the official schedules were like this I think

Monday February 4, 1980- Friday June 5, 1981

Eastern time:

12:30 pm Search for Tomorrow

1 pm Y&R

2 pm As the World Turns

3 pm Guiding Light

Central/Mountain/Pacific Time:

11 am Y&R

1 pm As the World Turns

2 pm Guiding Light

Monday June 8, 1981-Friday March 26, 1982

Eastern time:

12:30 pm Y&R

1:30 pm As the World Turns

2:30 pm Search for Tomorrow

3 pm Guiding Light

11 am Y&R

12:30 pm As the World Turns

1:30 pm Search for Tomorrow

2 pm Guiding Light

Monday March 29, 1982-Friday March 20, 1987

Eastern time:

1:30 pm As the World Turns

2:30 pm Capitol

3 pm Guiding Light

11 am Y&R

12:30 pm As the World Turns

1:30 pm Capitol

2 pm Guiding Light

Monday March 23, 1987-Friday September 18, 2009

Eastern time:

1:30 pm B&B

2 pm As the World Turns

3 pm Guiding Light

11 am Y&R

12:30 pm B&B

1 pm As the World Turns

2 pm Guiding Light

• Members

I didn't realize they had set it with the Feb 80 timeslot change thanks @kalbir!! The 1980-81 lineup had proved disastrous except for GL, the 1981-82 schedule seemed to correct itself just fine had there not been a dispute over SFT

It makes sense as for Central Time stations they had already been airing Y&R at 11AM while a growing number of Eastern Time stations had already simply programmed Y&R into that 1PM Eastern Time slot to which CBS had never programmed before until Y&R expanded to a full hour. 

• Members

@soapfan770I might be wrong on the February 4, 1980-June 5, 1981 official schedule for Central/Mountain/Pacific as I found two conflicting CBS affiliate lineups from some research.

KMGH (Denver), Monday April 7, 1980

11:30 am Search for Tomorrow
Noon Y&R
1 pm As the World Turns
2 pm Guiding Light

KREM (Spokane, WA), Tuesday April 29, 1980

11 am Y&R
1 pm As the World Turns
2 pm Guiding Light

If I was able to find more listings I could get a better idea as to what the February 4, 1980-June 5, 1981 official schedule for Central/Mountain/Pacific actually was.

• Members

Central Oregon Mon, June 23, 1975

2 KATU-ABC Portland
3 KVDO-Ind Salem
6 KOIN-CBS Portland
7 KOAC-PBS Corvallis
8 KGW-NBC Portland
9 KEZI-ABC/CBS Eugene
12 KPTV-Ind Portland
13 KVAL-NBC Eugene

Morning
7:00

2-9 AM America
6 CBS Morning News
8-13 Today

12 Government Story
7:30  12 Flintstones
8:00

6 Captain Kangaroo
7 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
12 Big Blue Marble
8:30  7 Lilias, Yoga & You
12 Cartoon Castle
9:00 

2 AM Northwest (local show)
6 Spin-Off
7 Sesame Street
8 Telescope (local show)
9 Coffeetime

12-13 Celebrity Sweepstakes
9:30

2 Movie "The Lodger"
6 Gambit
8-13 Wheel of Fortune
9 Movie "Desert Detour"
12 Petticoat Junction
10:00

6 KOIN Kitchen
7 Electric Company
8-13 High Rollers
12 Tattletales

10:30 

6 Love of Life
7 Of All Things
8-13 Hollywood Squares
12 Mister Ed
10:55  6 CBS News
11:00

2 Money Maze
6 Young & the Restless

7 Idea Thing
8-13 Jackpot!
12 I Dream of Jeannie
11:30

2-9 Big Showdown
6 News
7 The Gig
8-13 Blank Check
12 Search for Tomorrow
11:55  8-13 NBC News

Afternoon
noon 

2-9 Password
7 Photography
8-13 News
12 Perry Mason
12:30

2-9 Split Second
6 As the World Turns
7 Villa Alegre
8-13 Days of Our Lives
1:00

2-9 All My Children
6 Guiding Light
7 The Naturalists
12 Movie "Magic Carpet"
1:30 

2-9 Let's Make a Deal
6 Edge of Night
7 World Ptess
8-13 Doctors
2:00  

2-9 $10,000 Pyramid
6 Price is Right
8-13 Another World

2:30 

2-9 One Life to Live
6 Match Game

7 Of All Things!
3:00  

2-9 General Hospital
6 Musical Chairs

7 Active Life
8 Dinah!
12 Land of the Giants
13 Somerset
3:30 

2 Concentration
6 Truth or Consequences

7 Telecourse
9 I Dream of Jeannie
13 New Zoo Revue

• Members

Thanks for sharing! I dug around some old schedules and here’s what I found:

This was for KMOX(now KMOV) St Louis, a CBS O&O dated 2/2/1981:

11:30 SFT

12:00 Y&R

1:00 ATWT

2:00 GL

But then I came across this, here’s what the lineup looked like for both KCMO(now KCTV) in Kansas City dated 2/26/1980:

11AM: Y&R

12:30 SFT

1PM: ATWT

So it’s entirely possible they started that 12ET/11CT feed at that time.

• Members

@soapfan770 It looks like CBS allowed two different February 4, 1980-June 5, 1981 schedules for their Central/Mountain/Pacific affiliates. As we all know, ABC had a huge rise in the late 1970s and that seemed to really shake up CBS, thus the time slot changes in 1980 and 1981.

I found this official CBS schedule for April 23, 1979-February 1, 1980.

11 am ET/10 am CT, MT, PT The Price is Right

Noon ET/11 am CT, MT, PT Y&R

12:30 pm ET/11:30 am CT, MT, PT Search for Tomorrow

1 pm ET/Noon CT, MT, PT Local Programming

1:30 pm ET/12:30 pm CT, MT, PT As the World Turns

2:30 ET/1:30 pm CT, MT, PT Guiding Light

3:30 pm ET/2:30 pm CT, MT, PT M*A*S*H reruns

4 pm ET/3 pm CT, MT, PT Love of Life

It seems silly to me that CBS separated Love of Life from the rest of the daytime drama block unless it was done purposely to tank the show.  CBS's ratings for 1979/1980 were Y&R 8.8 (3rd), Guiding Light 8.3 (5th), As the World Turns 7.9 (6th), Search for Tomorrow 7.6 (7th), Love of Life 3.5 (13th); General Hospital and All My Children were the top 2 and One Life to Live was 4th.

The early 1980s were not too kind to CBS ratings-wise.

1980/1981: Guiding Light 8.2 (4th), As the World Turns 7.9 (5th), Y&R 7.8 (6th), Search for Tomorrow 6.3 (8th). ABC's big three General Hospital, All My Children, One Life to Live were the top 3 and Ryan's Hope was 7th. Guiding Light and As the World Turns kept close to the same number but Y&R and Search for Tomorrow had big drops.

1981/1982: Guiding Light 8.0 (4th), Y&R 7.4 (5th), As the World Turns 7.4 (5th), Search for Tomorrow 6.8 (8th), Capitol 5.8 (9th). ABC's big three General Hospital, All My Children, One Life to Live were the top 3 and Ryan's Hope was 7th. Y&R dropped for the second straight season, As the World Turns dropped a little, Search for Tomorrow increased but CBS still ended it, and Guiding Light kept close to the same number. 

1982/1983: Y&R 8.0 (4th), As the World Turns 7.6 (5th), Guiding Light 7.4 (6th), Capitol 6.0 (7th). Y&R has a big increase and becomes CBS's #1 daytime drama, As the World Turns goes up a little, Guiding Light has a big drop. ABC's big three General Hospital, All My Children, One Life to Live were the top 3 .

During the rest of the 1980s Y&R would topple the ABC big three one-by-one, eventually reaching #1 overall in 1988/1989.

Edited by kalbir