The Preemption/Out of Pattern Thread

• Members

@kalbir That move to a 4PM timeslot was wild and obscene for Love of Life, it had to be a show killing move on purpose. It didn’t help the show at the time was heavily panned due it having bizarre stories not seen since the days of radio and early TV soaps. I’ve read some stations aired it a day behind at 3:30 after GL or in the mornings, even airing the final episode on 2/4/80 since they were a day behind(!).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I finally came across another 1980s Seattle listing.

Friday June 27, 1986

KIRO (CBS)

11 am Y&R

Noon News 

1 pm As the World Turns

2 pm Guiding Light

An earlier post in this thread had Search for Tomorrow airing in Seattle in 1981. With no Capitol airing in Seattle in 1986 and B&B not airing in Seattle until 1994, it seems more likely that KIRO had a 1 hour Noon News from 1982-1994.

KOMO (ABC)

11 am Ryan's Hope

11:30 am Loving

Noon All My Children

1 pm One Life to Live

2 pm General Hospital

KING (NBC)

Noon Days

1 pm Another World

2 pm Santa Barbara

With no Search for Tomorrow airing in Seattle in 1986, it either disappeared from Seattle TV after the CBS cancellation or the NBC affiliate aired it then dropped it.

• Members

Slowly but surely, the Seattle pieces are falling together. I think that'll be my new goal, determining when Search stopped airing in that market.

Slight tangent: I think it was foolish in the long run to slot sitcom reruns in the half-hour after Guiding Light. I can understand why CBS didn't move Match Game from 3:30 to 3, since it supposedly helped by having a big after school audience, but would Tattletales have suffered moving from 4 to 3? Were the ratings that good for the All in the Family/M*A*S*H/One Day at a Time reruns? I dunno, I just feel like interrupting the soaps-games lineup with reruns ended up isolating the games (and eventually Love of Life).

Edited by Franko

• Members

Did B&B ever air on KIRO before 1995? KIRO and KSL were both CBS affiliates owned by a Mormon broadcasting company, and that B&B didn’t air those markets until they flopped affiliations to different stations (KUTV in Salt Lake and and for a few years KSTW was the CBS station for Seattle).

KSL, still Mormon owned moved Days to overnights because of the Will & Sonny storyline and still do today. They use to be the dominant station in the market but their lead has completely unraveled the past decade from what I understand.

• Members

@soapfan770 So B&B from 1987-1994 was too scandalous and shocking but the rest of the CBS lineup wasn't? B&B was exported to countries that many would think are religious/conservative (ie. Israel, Egypt, Turkey, India). IMO KIRO just didn't want to give up their 1 hour noon news. Given what we know about ABC Daytime being big in the Northeast and West Coast, Seattle probably fits more as an ABC town anyway.

• Members

@kalbir I had read once that was the rumor but it seems Bonneville Broadcasting was always pick & choose over what offended them so who knows. You're definitely right on the money about KIRO not wanting to give up that noon hour, even today:

9AM: LMAD

10AM: TPIR

11AM: Y&R

12PM: News

1PM: The Talk

2PM: B&B

KOMO and KING were powerhouses in Seattle for the longest, I imagine that still is true but I'm not sure. 

BTW when KSTW was CBS from 1995-97 they ran Y&R at 3PM after GL from a September 1996 schedule I found. 

• Members

In Boston, the ABC affiliate, WCVB, never aired “The Edge of Night”. They usually managed to cover up the ABC announcer talking about “Edge” during the closing credits of “General Hospital”, but not always. And they allowed the “Love in the Afternoon” promos with “Edge” to air. One of the independent stations carried “Edge” in the 70s, but by early 80s, it was no longer seen in the market. WPRI in Providence, RI didn’t carry it either, so you had to try to receive WMUR in Manchester NH to get it. By the end of the “Edge” run, even WMUR was delaying it and airing it out of pattern at 9:30 in the morning.

When “Loving” came on and bumped “Ryan’s Hope” to noon, WCVB started carrying RH at 11:30, and got a pre-feed from the network, so they were always on the same day.

WBZ, which was the NBC affiliate in the 1980s, pretty much dropped all of NBC’s soap lineup, with the exception of “Days of Our Lives”, which they aired on what was originally a one-day delay at 1:30. But by the mid 80s, they were almost a month behind the network feed due to preemptions. When WBZ decided to start airing DOOL in pattern again, they had to double-run it for a few weeks so they could catch up. An independent, WQTV, was carrying “Search for Tomorrow” and “Another World”. When WQTV changed formats, “Another World” was no longer seen in Boston. Finally, in 1995, NBC got a new affiliate in the market, WHDH. And the affiliate agreement explicitly stated that WHDH had to carry the entire NBC daytime lineup in pattern.

The CBS affiliate, WNAC, didn’t carry “Search for Tomorrow“ for a few months in the late 70s. But there was an outcry from the viewers, so they reinstated it.

Edited by Chris 2

• Members

Was Y&R head-to-head with Oprah and/or Days in Seattle at that time? I don't think Y&R was attracting the kids after school in 1995-1997 as that was the height of Reilly Sci-Fi Days. Imagine if a city had a 4 pm/3 pm head-to-head lineup of Y&R, Days, Oprah.

Edited to add: I found another 1980s listing for Seattle. 

Monday June 27, 1988

KIRO (CBS)

11 am Y&R

Noon News 

1 pm As the World Turns

2 pm Guiding Light

As we already know, no B&B.

KOMO (ABC)

11 am Ryan's Hope

Noon All My Children

1 pm One Life to Live

2 pm General Hospital

KING (NBC)

1 pm Another World

2 pm Santa Barbara

3 pm Days

So sometime between June 1986 and June 1988, Days moved from Noon to 3 pm. It was still the supercouple era so lots of kids must have been watching after school. It's possible the 3 pm airing might have gone on through to the Reilly sci-fi years.

Another edit: I suspected Portland, OR was another Northwest city that didn't carry B&B from the beginning and I found two listings that confirm that suspicion.

Wednesday September 13, 1989

KOIN (CBS)

11 am Y&R

Noon News

1 pm As the World Turns

2 pm Guiding Light

KATU (ABC)

Noon Live with Regis and Kathie Lee

1 pm One Life to Live

2 pm General Hospital

3 pm All My Children

KGW (NBC)

12:30 pm Generations

1 pm Another World

2 pm Santa Barbara

3 pm Days

Tuesday December 21, 1999

KOIN (CBS)

11 am Y&R

Noon News

12:30 pm Extra!

1 pm As the World Turns

2 pm Guiding Light

KATU (ABC)

12:30 pm Port Charles

1 pm One Life to Live

2 pm General Hospital

3 pm All My Children

KGW (NBC)

1 pm Sunset Beach

2 pm Passions

3 pm Days

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Weird KOIN was still not airing B&B even by 1999! I wonder if another station had picked it up at some point in the 90s (kind of like how the occasional Fox/UPN/Indy station in some markets picked up pre-empted soaps over the years). 

Weirder is that for the old PrimeStar satellite company, they actually used KOIN for their CBS West Coast Feed(they used WUSA in DC for the East Coast Feed), so I surmise PrimeStar subscribers could only rely on WUSA to watch B&B then. (I had some family in WV who used PrimeStar I remember seeing KOIN on there but I never really watched it much when I visited them to find out their whole schedule, wish I had now.) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

In Milwaukee  for most of the 1980s all the way up to when they switched over to Fox in December 1994 aired Young And The Restless at 9 am with a talk show such as Donahue or Sally Jessy Rafael in the 11-12 noon slot, WISN 12 would air All My Children in a delay for years until about 2003 first at 9 am and by 1988 or so at 11 am with noon news and usually a syndicated show at 12:30 and seemed to not ait Ryan's Hope for most of the 1980s and also bumped Loving for many years as well usually airing various syndicated programming or delayed AMC from 11-noon such as from October 1986

9 All My Children

10 Fame Fortune and Romance

10:30 Double Talk

11:00 The Judge

11:30 True Confessions

12:00 News

12:30 Laverne And Shirley

Also in April 1986 the NBC station aired a few on delay and bumped Serach For Tomorrow

11:00 Another World

12:00 Days Of Our Lives

1:00 Santa Barbara

2:00 Love Connection

2:30 Let's Make A Deal

Also the last few months of Texas got moved over in pattern on indy station WVTV 18 while they were airing Richard Simmons and Soap World

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Playing catchup with some listings I never got around to posting.

Maine, November 1991

In Bangor (WLBZ), DAYS and SANTA BARBARA aired from 9-11 a.m., immediately after TODAY. AW was still at 2, between A Closer Look and Chuck Woolery's talk show.

Bangor (WABI) aired the CBS soaps in pattern, so DAYS and SB would be going up against Regis and Kathie Lee, Designing Women reruns and Family Feud.

LOVING did not air in Bangor (WVII), which ran Sally Jessy Raphael and Geraldo from 9-11 and Maury Povich from 12-1.

LOVING also did not air in Poland Spring (WMTW), which ran Geraldo from 12-1.

DAYS (at 12 p.m.) and AMC (at 1 p.m.) aired on CHSJ, the CBC affiliate in Saint John.

AW and SANTA BARBARA aired from 2-4 p.m. on CKLT, the CTV affiliate in Saint John.

DAYS and SANTA BARBARA also aired from 9-11 a.m. in Portland (WCSH).

GL (on a one-day delay) aired at 9 a.m. in Portland (WGME), with 3 p.m. going to Maury.

Orlando/Daytona Beach area, November 1988

Almost all of NBC's daytime lineup aired on WESH, with the exceptions of Super Password and Scrabble, passed over for news and Family Medical Center.

CBS affiliates WJXT (Jacksonville) and WCPX (Orlando) have near identical schedules, with the only difference being that WCPX aired Sally Jessy rather than Family Feud and Card Sharks.

RYAN'S HOPE was not airing on WFTV (Orlando).

Edited by Franko
For spacing purposes

• Members

San Francisco and beyond, March 1983

NBC:

KCRA (Sacramento)

9 a.m.: Finnerty and Company

10 a.m.: Wheel of Fortune and Tic Tac Dough

11 a.m.: Just Men! and Sale of the Century

12 p.m.: News

1 p.m.: Hit Man and Candid Camera

2 p.m.: Fantasy

3 p.m.: DAYS

KRON (San Francisco)

9 a.m.: The Facts of Life reruns and Sale of the Century

10 a.m.: Wheel of Fortune and Hit Man

11 a.m.: You Asked For It and Midday

12 p.m.: DAYS

1 p.m.: AW

2 p.m.: Merv Griffin

3 p.m.: Mary Tyler Moore reruns and Entertainment Tonight

KSBW (Salinas/Monterrey)

9 a.m.: Donahue

10 a.m.: Wheel and Hit Man

11 a.m.: Just Men! and SFT

12 p.m.: DAYS

2 p.m.: Fantasy

3 p.m.: You Asked For It and Happy Days

CBS:

KPIX (San Francisco), KXTV (Sacramento), KHSL (Chico) and KMST (Monterrey) are near-identical:

9 a.m.: The $25,000 Pyramid and Child's Play (KMST aired Morning from Monterrey instead of Pyramid)

10 a.m.: People Are Talking (The Price Is Right in Sacramento)

11 a.m. Y&R

12 p.m.: News (KMST aired More Real People)

12:30 p.m.: ATWT

1:30 p.m.: CAPITOL

2 p.m.: GL

3 p.m. Hour Magazine (Scooby-Doo and The Flintstones in Chico, The Streets of San Francisco in Monterrey)

ABC:

KGO (San Francisco-7), KNTV (San Jose-11) and KOVR (Stockton-13)

9 a.m.: All had different local/talk shows. AM San Francisco on 7, Hour Magazine on 11 and Good Morning California on 13

10 a.m.: All had The Love Boat reruns

11 a.m. While KGO and KNTV aired Family Feud and Ryan's Hope, KOVR aired AMC

12 p.m.: AMC on KGO and KNTV, news and Ryan's Hope on KOVR

1 p.m.: OLTL on all

2 p.m.: GH on all

3 p.m.: EDGE and a movie until 5 p.m. on 7, a movie from 3-5 on 11 and The People's Court and Alice on 13

• Members

San Francisco and beyond, end of August 1986

NBC:

KCRA:

9 a.m.: Hour Magazine

10 a.m.: Wheel of Fortune and Scrabble

11 a.m.: Super Password and Sale of the Century

1 p.m.: Santa Barbara

2 p.m.: Another World

3 p.m.: Days

KRON

9 a.m.: Family Ties reruns and Sale of the Century

10 a.m.: Wheel and Scrabble

11 a.m.: Super Password and News

12 p.m.: Million Dollar Chance and Cross-Wits

1 p.m.: Another World

2 p.m.: Santa Barbara

3 p.m.: Days

KSBW

10 a.m.: Wheel and Scrabble

11 a.m.: Super Password and SFT

12 p.m.: Days

2 p.m.: Santa Barbara

3 p.m.: A movie until 5 p.m.

CBS:

No morning listings are given for KPIX, but I'm going to assume it didn't deviate too much from the network lineup. No listings are given for Chino and Monterrey.

9 a.m.: The $25,000 Pyramid and Card Sharks (KXTV aired Let's Make a Deal)

10 a.m.: The Price Is Right

11 a.m. Y&R

12:30 p.m.: ATWT

1:30 p.m.: CAPITOL

2 p.m.: GL

3 p.m. Hour Magazine (Press Your Luck and Barnaby Jones in Sacramento)

ABC:

Listings only for San Francisco and Stockton.

9 a.m.: AM San Francisco (now 90 minutes)/Sally (30 mins) and Divorce Court

10 a.m.: Conclusion of AMSF and Double Talk/Perfect Match and Double Talk

11 a.m.: Ryan's Hope and Loving/AMC

12 p.m.: AMC/News

1 p.m.: OLTL on both

2 p.m.: GH on both

3 p.m. Mrs. Columbo (A typo? KGO was airing filler until the fall?)/Alice and The Jeffersons

• Members

North Dakota, mid-September 1980

Being a North Dakota resident, it's interesting to see how affiliates have changed (for example, WDAY is currently the ABC affiliate for Fargo; KTHI, now known as KVLY, is NBC).

CBS:

KXJB (Fargo), KXMD (Williston), KXMB (Bismarck) and KMOT (Minot) were near identical:

9 a.m.: The Jeffersons and Alice reruns

10 a.m.: The Price Is Right

11 a.m.: Y&R

12 p.m.: News and SFT

1 p.m.: ATWT

2 p.m.: GL

3 p.m.: One Day at a Time reruns and Bugs Bunny in Fargo, Bullwinkle in Williston, Bismarck and Minot.

NBC:

KFYR (Bismarck), WDAY (Fargo), WDAZ (Devils Lake), KUMV (Williston) and KMOT (Minot) were also largely the same:

9 a.m.: Donahue in Bismarck, Williston and Minot, The David Letterman Show (soon off the air) in Fargo and DL

10 a.m.: Wheel of Fortune and Password Plus

11 a.m.: Card Sharks and DOCTORS (WDAZ didn't air DOCTORS, opting for an hour news show)

12 p.m.: News and DAYS

1 p.m.: Conclusion of DAYS and AW

2 p.m.: Conclusion of AW and TEXAS

3 p.m.: Conclusion of TEXAS and either Be Our Guest in Bismarck and Williston or To Tell The Truth in Fargo and DL

ABC:

KTHI Fargo

10 a.m.: The Love Boat reruns

11 a.m.: Family Feud and AMC

12 p.m.: Conclusion of AMC and Midday

1 p.m.: OLTL

2 p.m.: GH

3 p.m.: EDGE and The Big Valley