The Preemption/Out of Pattern Thread

• Members

@Franko LLB did a promo for KMOV that proclaimed that STL was the #1 market for Y&R. The move to 4 pm was in reaction to Oprah and the ratings for Y&R was quite huge. It lasted almost 30 years in the slot until a new company bought the affiliate and moved it. It's too bad because when I'd go back to visit my mom, it was always a good 'shared' experience at that time of day. 

Couple of odd STL tidbits I recall from growing up:

1) SFT didn't air on the CBS affiliate starting in 1980. It did, however, air for a few weeks when it moved to NBC, but was dropped fast.

2) EON aired AFTER midnight (or later) on the ABC sometime around 1981 - I know this because I got home one night and stumbled on it. It hadn't been on since 1977. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

STL kid here, and I indeed watched Y&R when I got home from school, which is probably one of the big reasons why it’s my favorite soap to this day. I also loved Oprah, so it was always a dilemma for me to decide what to watch at 4 pm. 

Santa Barbara used to air at 10 am in STL when I was growing up.

• Members

The Sacramento/San Francisco/northern California CBS I heard cut Guiding Light in the 90's.  I remember them doing a location shoot at one point where one of the couples traveled there on a short storyline to try and gain an audience...I think it was already too far gone there and it didn't work.

• Members

I wonder how many other CBS affiliates aired Y&R outside the usual 12:30-4/11-3 block in order to beat Oprah. I remember reading during the New Orleans remote that their CBS station had the most Y&R viewers. 

Edited by kalbir

• Members

@soapfan770 Silly me, why didn't I see that before I posted. Thanks

Please register in order to view this content

On a different note, there had to have been some NBC stations in the 1980s and 1990s that aired Days in the late afternoon to get the kids coming home from school.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I have to say, I'm fascinated by the idea of Y&R going up against Oprah in some markets. In my hometown, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Oprah aired on the CBS station (based out of Kalamazoo) at 4. I don't think that changed up until GL went off the air. I also remember Oprah facing Rosie O'Donnell (which aired on the NBC station).

Anyway,

Amarillo, Texas (April 2000) -- Central Time Zone

KAMR (NBC)

9:00 am - Later Today
10:00 am - Leeza
11:00 am - Judge Mills Lane
11:30 am - News
12:00 pm - Days of Our Lives
1:00 pm - Passions
2:00 pm - Donny & Marie
3:00 pm - Maury

4:00 pm - Oprah Winfrey

KVII (ABC)

9:00 am - Live -- Regis & Kathie Lee
10:00 am - The View
11:00 am - Judge Joe Brown
11:30 am - Judge Joe Brown
12:00 pm - News
12:30 pm - Jeopardy!
1:00 pm - One Life to Live
2:00 pm - General Hospital
3:00 pm - Rosie O'Donnell

4:00 pm - Judge Judy
4:30 pm - Judge Judy

KDFA (CBS)

9:00 am - Dr. Joy Browne
10:00 am - The Price is Right
11:00 am - The Young and the Restless
12:00 pm - News
12:30 pm - The Bold and the Beautiful
1:00 pm - As the World Turns
2:00 pm - Guiding Light
3:00 pm - Sally Jessy Raphael

4:00 pm - Hollywood Squares
4:30 pm - News of Texas

Oh, and over in Spokane, Washington, both RH and EON weren't airing on the ABC station (KXLY) as of mid-June 1983. I'm wondering if it aired LOVING.

Meanwhile, in September 1989, ABC's Sarasota station (WWSB) was airing LOVING, while the St. Petersburg station (WTSP) aired The Judge (?). WTVT, CBS in Tampa, aired a local show at 12:30, had Y&R up an hour and didn't air B&B.

Edited by Franko

• Members
@Franko Your mention of Tampa and B&B reminded me that B&B didn’t air in Seattle until 1995 when the CBS affiliate changed.

Seattle tv was very weird when I lived there - MNF was taped delayed 1 hour to start at 7 Pacific because the geniuses thought people wanted to watch news first. 

• Members

May 1973 in the Green Bay, Wisconsin region:

ATWT aired at 3 p.m., rather than 1:30 p.m. on WBAY. The station also preempted The CBS Morning News, The Joker's Wild (for an exercise show; it aired on the ABC station, WLUK) and The Price Is Right (for ATWT).

AMC aired on both WLUK and WLUC, the CBS station in Marquette, Michigan, at 1 p.m.

Tuscon, Arizona, as of late September 1976 (Mountain Time Zone):

KVOA (NBC)

8:00 Donahue
9:00 Fun Factory
9:30 Gong Show
10:00 Sanford & Son
10:30 Celebrity Sweepstakes
11:00 Wheel of Fortune
11:30 Hollywood Squares
12:00 News
12:30 The Doctors
1:00 Another World
2:00 Somerset
2:30 Days of Our Lives
3:30 Medical Center
4:30 The Odd Couple

KGUN (ABC)

9:00 Happy Days
9:30 All My Children
10:00 Ryan's Hope
10:30 Family Feud
11:00 $20,000 Pyramid
11:30 One Life to Live
12:15 General Hospital
1:00 The Edge of Night
1:30 Hot Seat
2:00 Afternoon Movie
4:00 I Dream of Jeannie
4:30 ABC Evening News

KOLD (CBS)

8:00 Price is Right
9:00 Tucson Today
9:30 Search for Tomorrow
10:00 Love of Life
10:30 As the World Turns
11:30 Guiding Light
12:00 News
12:30 Match Game
1:00 Tattletales
1:30 All in the Family
2:00 Gambit
2:30 Young and the Restless
3:00 Dinah!
4:30 Adam-12

Eleven years later, in the summer of 1987:

AW was still at 1 p.m. on KVOA, with SANTA BARBARA at 2. DOOL aired at 11 a.m. This was the same arrangement for KPNX in Phoenix and KYEL in Yuma.

While KGUN aired both RH and LOVING in the 11 a.m. hour, KTVK in Phoenix aired news and LOVING. On both stations, it went AMC (12), OLTL (1) and GH (2).

On KTSP in Phoenix, the arrangement went Y&R at 11, news and B&B at 12, then ATWT at 1 and GL at 2. Over on KOLD, it was Y&R at 10:30, B&B at 11:30, then ATWT at 12 and GL at 1.

Edited by Franko

• Members

Some weird listings from December 1986. I'm not sure if anyone was running a full schedule of anything.

WTVC (Chattanooga TN) - Falcon Crest, noon; Loving 12:30; All My Children, 1 p.m.; One Life to Live, 2; General Hospital, 3

WSB (Atlanta) - Ryan's Hope, 12:30; All My Children, 1 p.m.; One Life to Live, 2; General Hospital 3

WRCB (Chattanooga TN) - Search for Tomorrow, 12:30; Days of Our Lives, 1 p.m.; Another World, 2

WRCB runs Bugs Bunny and Friends at 3 p.m. instead of Santa Barbara.

WAGA (Atlanta) - Young and the Restless, 12:30; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Capitol, 2:30; Guiding Light, 3

WDEF (Chattanooga TN) - Young and the Restless, 12:30; As the World Turns, 1:30 p.m.; Capitol, 2:30, Guiding Light, 3

WXIA (Atlanta) - Days of Our Lives, 1 p.m.; Another World, 2; Santa Barbara, 3

• Members

You're welcome @kalbir no worries!

A lot of NBC stations aired Days in a 3PM or 4PM slot as well in the 90s, and I remember a lot of NBC stations would offer up a second repeat airing of Sunset Beach in a late night slot or later in the evening slot. I recall one NBC station aired Sunset Beach in the usually syndicated 7PM EST slot to some interesting success. 

• Members

That's how it was in Columbus, Ohio, in the fall of 1997. SUNSET at 1, AW at 2, DOOL at 3. The ABC and CBS stations aired their soaps in the usual order.

One more for tonight: WRGB, the CBS station in Schenectady, New York, was airing GL at 9 a.m. in September 1989. The 3 p.m. hour went to Everyday (presumably a talk-local show).

I'd heard about DYNASTY being cut into half-hour installments for syndication, but didn't know FALCON CREST did the same.

• Members

September 1986. Different Georgia area.

WTOC (Savannah) and WJXT (Jacksonville FL) - Young and the Restless, 12:30; As the World Turns, 1:30; Capitol, 2:30; Guiding Light, 3

WJKS (Jacksonville FL) and WALB (Albany) - Search for Tomorrow, 12:30; Days of Our Lives, 1; Another World, 2; Santa Barbara, 3

WTLV (Jacksonville FL) - Ryan's Hope, noon; Loving, 12:30; All My Children, 1; One Life to Live, 2; General Hospital, 3

Here's a change. I wanted to find some much older TV listings, so here's some from September 1954. Most of these stations didn't air anything before noon.

KVTV (Sioux City IA) - Valiant Lady, 11; Love of Live, 11:15; Search for Tomorrow, 11:30; Portia Faces Life, noon; Seeking Heart, 12:15; Brighter Day, 3; Secret Storm, 3:15

WCCO (Minneapolis) - Brighter Day, 3; Secret Storm, 3:15. Doesn't look like the station had any programming before 

KSTP (Minneapolis) - Golden Windows, 2:15; One Man's Family, 2:30; Concerning Miss Marlowe, 2:45; Hawkins Falls, 3; First Love, 3:15

KGLO (Mason City IA) - Valiant Lady, 3:45

WOI (Ames IA) - No soaps.

KELO (Sioux Falls SD) - Seeking Heart, 2:30; Love of Life, 4; Search for Tomorrow, 4:15

KMTV (Omaha) - Seeking Heart, 4:15; Portia Faces Life, 4:30

• Members

Monday Aug 5 1968 Salt Lake City

KCPX (ABC)

8.00 Dark Shadows

8.30 Dick Cavett

10.00 Bewitched

10.30 Treasure Isle

11.00 Dream House

11.30 It's Happening

12.00 Newlywed Game

12.30 Dating Game

1.00 General Hospital

1.30 One Life to Live

2.00 Mike Douglas

3.45 Captain Scotty

4.00 Supernan

That lineup followed the network pattern(albeit in a different time zone) but Dark Shadows being bumped to 8am!!

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

This was what I was hoping for. I found a sample of listings for the Cleveland-Pittsburgh-northernmost West Virginia area between 1994-1999.

PITTSBURGH -- While KDKA (CBS) and WPXI (NBC) aired their networks' full soap lineup in 1994-1995, by late October 1995, WTAE (ABC) had dropped LOVING for The Golden Girls. Instead of THE CITY, WTAE aired Judge Judy as of February 1997. At that time until at least March 199, WPXI was airing SUNSET BEACH at 1, ANOTHER WORLD at 2 and DAYS OF OUR LIVES at 3. KDKA kept its lineup intact by late winter 1999.

CLEVELAND -- WEWS (ABC) and WJW/WOIO (CBS) aired their networks' full soap lineup as scheduled in 1994-1999. By February 1997, WKYC (NBC) moved DOOL to 11 a.m. SUNSET aired at 1 and AW at 2 p.m., an arrangement which remained for March 1999. Side note: WEWS was more likely to preempt ABC's morning programming in favor of its own show, The Morning Exchange. When "MX" was still a two-hour show, Mike and Maty aired at 4 a.m. in Cleveland. Caryl & Marilyn: Real Friends aired at 2:35 a.m. By 1999, MX was cut to an hour, airing at 10 between Regis & Kathie Lee and The View.

WHEELING/STEUBENVILLE -- WTRF (CBS) and WTOV (NBC) aired their networks' full soap lineup in 1994-1999. WTOV aired SUNSET BEACH at 11 a.m., with news and Mad About You (later, Extra) as the lead-in to DOOL and AW.

YOUNGSTOWN -- WKBN (CBS) and WWTV (ABC) aired their networks' full soap lineup in 1994-1999. WFMJ (NBC) aired SUNSET at 3 p.m., following DOOL and AW.