Angelica McDaniel OUT! (CBS Daytime)

• Members

I just hope all this praising, and gushing, over how fabulous Lola is ends ASAP! It always throws me out of story since the characters don't usually act like that.  Most of the characters care about themselves first,  so it's just weird for them to be so interested, & invested, in every aspect of this new girls life.

Ditto for all the Rosales references. It seems like they try and squeeze one in on the days Lola & Rey aren't on. The other day Abby brought seafood empanadas to the Ranch for Victor. It's like.... come on, seriously?!! Since when do we mention types of food?  Genoa City is in Wisconsin, and I've yet to hear them mention cheese curds, beer, brats, sauerkraut, venison, or Friday fish frys, so cut it out!

And lastly I hope both Lola & Rey are cut way back, if they don't go back to Miami. I'm so sick of them. At least make Lola interesting if we have to endure her presence. Lola does not come off like a heroine. All her lines are so goody-two-shoes , but she comes off as a passive aggressive bitch. She'd probably be a natural in that role.

My suggestion is to find out Lola has real secret. Mal planted something in her past when she was introduced, and it was dropped, so put it back in! Let's find out she had a sugar-daddy, or she had sex for money, in order to finance that food truck. SOMETHING BIG! No more milquetoast secrets. Maybe this virgin story was all a ruse to land an Abbott. That would make more sense than the story they told, where the Abbott's are all trying to get the Rosales approval. If she made a good vixen I may want to keep her. Nothing can save Rey for me, he's just too blah. I don't want him paired with anyone.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How do we even quantify this anymore?  What is airing that we would call a Knots Landing or Melrose Place etc?

Grey's Anatomy is close to a pure network soap, in that the entire show (even the events) are about how the characters relate emotionally to each other- romantic, family, friendships.  It has maintained very strong ratings over its entire run.  This is Us is a soap to me too, also high ratings.  

But everything that is not a done in one procedural is a form of continuing drama, and most of those have soap elements.  Even something like The Walking Dead has some soapy elements.

• Members

Why is this new?  CBS Daytime is dead.  Get more Talk, get another hour of Price is Right, another hour of Wayne Brady on Let's make a Deal, and then have him cross over to B&B and maybe Sheryl Underwood could be on B&B, and Drew Cary Could be on Y&R or Bob Barker could be on  B&B....wait....alot of this already happened.  And the haters - you don't need to worry for much longer.  We are out.  We're done and we're not coming back. 

But Go Adam Newman.  He is the face and the future of the show.  He's everything.  So you go with that.  I hope you do go with Adam and this version of the show because when i say 1 or 2 minutes a week - I mean it.  So maybe that's why the show is so great and I don't understand it.  I'll say it again, my entire family has stopped watching.  I watch awful Lifetime Movies now and can't wait for Kelly Clarkson's show to start and for Ellen to resume.  But disregard me and do what you're doing. 

Do you know why I still post?  Because I see what is so bad.  But go do you, you're doing awesome. 

• Members

There was an oft-used saying on this board among a few posters that basically said "if you don't like the show, then don't watch", which is what I finally ended up doing once I realized that I was watching out of habit and not because I enjoyed it.

To be fair, my viewing time had already been dwindling and I felt like there were better, more enjoyable ways to spend my time than to watch and complain about a show because I was constantly finding things that I was dissatisfied with.  It made me antsy and irritable to see all the ways that the show had deteriorated in quality, knowing it should be better.

Even as my viewing time had decreased by a LOT, I was trying to find things I still enjoyed about the show but ironically, just before I found out that Mishael Morgan was leaving the show, I had really decided that I could take no more.  When I read about the circumstances under which she'd left, I was really firm to just quit cold turkey and it really wasn't hard.  By then, I'd become tired of the show anyway, because it just didn't resemble the soap that I'd grew up on from the time I was a little girl, or had enjoyed as a teenager and young adult. There are so many other choices for entertainment and activities, being loyal to a show that wasn't loyal to me or my desires felt like not only a severe waste of time-- it felt downright foolish.

That's my two cents about that.

Also, thanks to the wonderful folks who upload classic soaps on YouTube, whenever I feel that urge to see good, hearty soap opera, the kind I fell in love with, I can watch classic ATWT or GL in complete 45 min+ episodes.  None of this 35-37 minutes filler that I get with today's Y&R on CBS.com

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Things like the Lola/Rosales mandate will be gone, but Sony isn't gonna just let them have at it. If anything this gives Sony more power going forward since they won't have someone at CBS who cares to fight them. I know in the past I've heard of them fighting over the new HW. I believe CBS was trying to get Kay Alden/Sally Sussman when Pratt was hired, but JFP went over the heads to Sony and got Pratt. I may not be 100% on that but I know there were similar fights like that. Also, with LML and MAB.

• Members

thats correct. I belive JG almost got the job when pratt was hired too but JFP didn't want to work with him.
I hope Steve kent goes soon because oretty much all the past HWs have been his buddies and he decides who comes back IE: Victoria Rowell 

Edited by AdamNewmanFan

• Members

Actually glad to see Angelica McDaniel go the way of her predecessors Barbara Bloom and Lucy Johnson. Even better yet, like Mary Alice Dwyer-Dobbin(remember the MADD one?) at P&G her position is pretty much eliminated altogether. Micromanaging meddlesome exec's, whether it was Johnson or McDaniel at CBS, MADD with P&G, John Rohrbeck, Susan Lee, and Sheraton Kalouria at NBC, or Angela Shapiro and Brian Frons at ABC are all that helped kill the daytime soaps with their very short-sighted and self-fulfilling agendas. 

McDaniel's support has always been suspect; championing the work of MAB, Pratt, and then pushing the Rosales family in to replace the Winters were all horrible. She will not be missed. ABC and NBC haven't had any specific daytime exec for years; the CBS daytime lineup, while ailing, will be fine without one. Sad to say, unless their are extremely drastic changes I just don't see the current CBS Daytime lineup existing in its current form beyond 2021.

Unlike GL which is the only soap I considered that really did die of natural causes as opposed to the typical shocking cancellation, Y&R and B&B still have a lot of life left in them but it would actually take a lot of drastic change, focus, talent, energy and even perhaps a change in format & delivery to save them, something I just don't see happening either unfortunately.