Angelica McDaniel OUT! (CBS Daytime)

• Members

"CBS is reportedly folding the daytime team into the Current Programming department led by Amy Reisenbach." 

Notice the use of the word "folding" the exact same word I used in my previous post. 

It's actually quite sad that the most discussion that Y&R gets these days is for exits for actors or personnel.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's a shame, too, they've never touched upon that aspect of Kyle and Lola's relationship.  Having a Hispanic girl from a modest, working-class background see marriage to a rich, white boy as her ticket out of the barrio, so to speak, would have put a timely twist on the by-now-familiar soap trope.

Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- who works in the industry these days loves the soaps.  Anyone who did love them died off or moved onto bigger, more prestigious gigs a long time ago.  Nowadays, we're dealing with folks who look at running daytime as being slightly better than going out and getting a "real job."

Edited by Khan

• Members

Thank you!

Not for one damn minute do I buy all the "But Angelica LOVES the soaps!" garbage coming from Giddens and others.  History proves those sycophants will say the same about anyone who gives them the time of day.

If AMcD loves the soaps SO much, how come Y&R, which was already in bad shape upon her arrival, became utter roadkill under her watch -- and worse, was beaten in the ratings by the likes of B&B?  If THAT is the result of someone at the network LOVING the soaps, then for God's sake, bring back Brian Frons or MADD, who clearly didn't gaf about 'em!

Furthermore, if AMcD was our catcher in the rye, that one person keeping soaps from disappearing over the cliff forever, well, then, maybe it's for the best we LET 'em disappear.

Edited by Khan

• Webmaster

Personally, I do believe that Angelica McDaniel was a champion for soaps and was one of the last holdouts for the old guard in how things were done in television broadcasting in terms of daytime television on the big three networks. However, I am not shocked she was let go and I don't think there was much else for her to do at CBS. The network's reasoning for folding daytime into current programming is sound since it's already been done by ABC and NBC in years past and with traditional broadcasting being a dinosaur in today's TV/entertainment climate. Soaps have already been duking it out with the rest of TV in terms of awards recognition with their categories being folded to compete with all dramas at the DGAs, GLAAD not bothering to nominate them, the lack of interest in submission for a WGA by the soaps themselves. It's all about change. It's the way of the world. 

Right now, instead of competing with each other, the soaps, game shows and talk shows are competing against their overall profits individually and not in terms of what daypart they fall into. With streaming being ever more prominent, the soaps especially are leading the charge in online viewing habits. That's a good thing. That means that should broadcast transition to online even more, there is a place for that kind of programming. Heck, "Why Women Kill" on CBS All Access is a classic soap tale ala "Desperate Housewives" and it works online vs. broadcast because it's the type of show that streaming platforms need (soapy) to gain traction. 

Despite the faults of Prospct Park's management, "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" would have been perfect to transition online if they were canceled at any point in the last 6 months to a year. They were way ahead of their time from a business standpoint. Content notwithstanding.