Angelica McDaniel OUT! (CBS Daytime)

• Members

Yeah, the massive drop in ratings happened before the onslaught of Rosaleses a came. The two left are in popular couplings (on social media too), the writing for [!@#$%^&*] def needs to be current for a young couple in this era!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

the familial cannibalizing in the stories is such a turn off, and they are doing what a lot of soaps have been doing in that they don't have people go to work regularly so we can see day-to-day stuffs and how peeps deal with doing their jobs on top of drama, etc. It's just drama 24/7, and they fight over these companies and it's like... none of y'all even go to work regularly, so what's good? Like, why haven't the Foresters put on a fashion show in forever or talked about business? It's just baby drama 24/7... zZZZ

Edited by dio

• Members

I recall when Y&R made this turn. It started feeling like OLTL with folks just going around town bouncing off each other. They don't even have a reason to interact most of the time. So it's just "oops, I bumped into Sharon at the coffee house. How fortuitous. I guess I'll flirt".  

JG wasn't this bad on his last run. He told actually stories. When I did watch, I didn't know what the story was half the time. It just seems like a bunch of events happening just so characters can argue and fight. 

• Members

I don't think that Lola is very popular on social media. She/K o l a get a lot of hate whenever the CBS accounts post something about him. I was looking at an instagram post about them recently. that had several hundred posts and most of them were overwhelming negative. There were a lot of people even attacking Sasha Calle personally. A lot of people do not like Lola/K o l a and they had the lowest ranked wedding. That episode was the last in total viewers for the week. Summer/Kyle's wedding, Rey and Mia's vow renewal from earlier in the year had better ratings than  K o l a's wedding. Even Billy/Victoria's commitment  ceremony in June performed better than K o l a's wedding. Billy and Victoria unlike K o la managed to hit a 3.0 for their ceremony episode and was the highest ranked episode of that week.

K o l a is not very popular on Social Media and they are heavily disliked on several different soap sites. I frequent/post/lurk on several soap sites. Kyle and Lola are heavily disliked on Twitter, Instagram, Soapcentral, soaps.com, (Soaps.com had a support group type of thread where people gathered to talk about personal things while they refused to watch the wedding. And there were several people participating in that thread) Daytime  Royalty and this site. And I think I may be forgetting one, lol.

Rey has some fans and some people like him with Sharon.  But a lot of people don't like him either.  Y&R may have had issues before the Rosales showed up, but I think  the heavy focus on them has been to the detriment of this show. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I don't see Adam as the root of the show's problems. It's AMcD as the one pushing agenda's for the show. I think the Rosales' are a huge problem. I agree I don't see much support for them anywhere. 

I don't think AMcD is at Frons level bad, but it was starting to get there

• Members

Remember, weeks ago, I posted about the Viacom/CBS reunification and mused about how CBS Daytime could be affected? 

When I was in grad school at [redacted] in NYC, we had to read the trade papers because these business decisions do affect the creative ones, that is how it works.  If this comes as a shock to you, then you haven't been reading what has been going on.  I knew that Angelica McDaniel would not be long for CBS Daytime, there were changes and the continual ratings fall under her watch has been dramatic.

What I can't figure out is, why is Steve Kent still there?  He's been there to witness the entire ratings cascade, which began before McDaniel took the position and Kent has generally been a toxic presence.  He should be shown the door as well.

I don't know what to say.  I gave up on the show over a year ago.  There's nothing that I've seen in clips or read in spoilers or summaries that would get me to watch again.  Shows like Y&R can't just rely on viewer loyalty to maintain ratings when the stories are just not there to keep viewers tuned in.

• Members

No, neither Lola nor Rey's pairings are that popular. Though I do believe that Lola's is better recieved than Shey. Shey was just Sharon fans doing what they do and latching onto anyone that's nice to her. I know this place wasn't fond of Billy and Vikki but I tend to use them as bench marks for popularity because fans went crazy over them. Lola's pairing with Kyle doesn't come close. They were better recieved when Summer was involved.  

• Members

I think we have already seen what Josh is capable of.  Several times.  I do not think Angelica was dictating all story to him.  Chelsea was removed during her time and brought back during her time.  And is pointless.

He is hack adjacent- not quite the Carlivati, Passanante, Higley or Brad Bell type.  More like a boring McTavish.  Clearly some talent, but firmly in the land of hackery.

What this type of thing signals to me is that these networks do not see a need for daytime divisions.  So no future here, from soaps to network branded talk, etc.  It doesn’t need their attention, except for someone down the line to pull the plug or make further money cuts or both.  They can just rerun or put reality tv in its place.  Or whatever the next thing is that is cheap that people are in to.