Career-making characters

• Members

While discussing the many Casey Hugheses on As The World Turns in the Where Are They Now thread, it struck me that three of the actors who played the role (four if you count temporary replacements) have gone on to have reasonable careers in primetime/movies. As I was thinking a bit more about it, I realized that the same could be said for Casey's cousin, Lucy Montgomery. 

What other characters have sent several of their portrayers off to reasonable careers?

Casey Hughes (As The World Turns)

Joseph Cross

Zach Roerig

Scott Porter (temporary replacement)

Billy Magnussen

Lucy Montgomery (As The World Turns)

Amanda Seyfried

Peyton List

Spencer Grammer

Betsy Stewart Montgomery Andropoulos (As The World Turns)

Meg Ryan

Lindsay Frost

Lien Hughes (As The World Turns)

Ming-Na Wen

Lea Salonga

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Salonga was definitely well known before she appeared on ATWT, at least in Broadway circles.  I had already seen her in Miss Saigon in the late 1990s. 

Not to mention, she (along with fellow ATWT alum Ming-Na Wen) played Mulan in the Disney movie.  Perhaps the stint on daytime TV was some sort of cherished goal or to show her range as a performer but yeah, definitely well known before ATWT.

• Members

Yeah, Lea Salonga was already well-known or becoming well-known on Broadway during her ATWT run. I was impressed they'd gotten her, and wished they'd hung on to her.

Since John appears obsessed with the Caseys this week it bears mentioning that Billy Magnussen is becoming a major star. Joseph Cross is a very in-demand character actor and now apparently director. But Peter Vack I only know from the video game Bully, in which he was the memorable voice and character model of the lead, well, bully. (NYC soap vets regularly do voice work for Rockstar Games BTW, including Robert Bogue and the late? Doris Belack - a young Connor Paolo went from OLTL to Bully as well.) I had no idea Vack was ever on the soaps and have never seen him since.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Salonga started Miss Saigon the early '90s in London's West End before going to Broadway about a year later.

When I saw her in Miss Saigon in the late 1990s, it was what turned out to be her penultimate performance (at the time it was announced that it would be her last, which elicited a spontaneous standing ovation during the curtain call-- but when the show had its last performance some years later, she was invited to do the final show, making that her actual final performance) in the role of Kim and she'd already won a Tony Award and before that an Olivier award. 

Even Mulan was done in the late 1990s.

Salonga didn't appear on ATWT until the early '00s.  She was established on Broadway by then.

I'd love for someone to ask her about her experiences on the soap.  The show is off the air and she would be free to be candid.  She doesn't strike me as someone who holds back or minces words.  

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Between B'way, Off B'way, Law & Order, film school and indies, NYC used to be the type of city where acting talent flourished!

When I was in grad school, I took a course (can't remember the name of the course) where we'd write scenes and cast actors and work with a director.  Many of the actors did bit parts on L&O and indies in addition to work in the theater.   It was fun to see them show up on T.V. in various shows.  There was at least one actor that I can remember who showed up on ATWT in the mid '00s that had been part of that repertory group of actors.

• Members

To some extent, Marah Lewis.  If you look at their credits, they did do alot of TV work afterward. 

And of course Laura Bell Bundy being on Broadway, and Kimberly J. Brown having alot of work...and several had movie appearances too.  

Edited by Fevuh

• 2 weeks later...