Author Judith Krantz has died

• Members

Author Judith Krantz, author of books like "Scruples", "Princess Daisy" and "Mistral's Daughter", has died aged 91

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-7173043/Steamy-romance-novelist-Judith-Krantz-dies-91.html

An author much in the same vein as Jackie Collins and Sidney Sheldon, the first thing that comes to mind for me is this song by Nana Mouskouri which served as the theme for the mini-series based on "Mistral's Daughter"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I read Scruples many years ago and was obsessed. Any time I put it down, it was a struggle to function in the "real" world because the world JK created was just so lavish and exciting and fun. While my classmates were escaping into the world of Harry Potter and other fantasy characters, I found my escape in the type of extravagance found in Scruples and Hollywood Wives.

Greatest thing about JK is that she believed in the value of what she wrote. There used to be an interview on YouTube where she basically shut everything down and cut tf up because the interviewer used "trash" to describe the types of novels Judith wrote. She wasn't 'bout it, baybayyyy.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Can someone answer this question for me - how many productions of Scruples have aired?

Of course there's the Lindsay Wagner 1980 version, although in hindsight she seems miscast as a fashionista

LINDSAY WAGNER, SCRUPLES, 1980 Stock Photo - Alamy

Then IMDB lists this 1981 version with Pamela Barnes and Dirk Benedict, that was totally new to me, and oddly places Dirk as Spider as the central figure - it's listed as a TV movie not a series

Please register in order to view this content

Then, we've got the never aired daytime version produced by John Conboy in the early 1990s

And, finally there's a preview for the 2012 Claire Forlani version of YT, which seems to hit all the right notes of camp and drama, except it also features one of my least favorite actors Chad Michael Murry - But was it ever broadcast on TV? Because it looks complete, not just a pilot.

This all started because I was reading Clive Jones iconic takedown Ms Krantz's novel Princess Daisy in The London Review of Books.  His confusion about the hat is very funny

https://archive.clivejames.com/books/tiny-kisses.htm

Edited by j swift

• Members

The original miniseries aired Monday, Feb. 25, Tuesday, Feb. 26 and Thursday, Feb. 27, 1980, on CBS. The TV movie aired Friday, May 22, 1981, on ABC. The remake pilot from 2012 never actually aired on ABC. IMDB credits it as a "TV movie," but they've done that for sitcom-length pilots, too.

• Members

I just finished Scruples the Novel in order to understand all of the interest in the original tome (that's the beauty of Kindle, everything is on immediate demand).  It's a fun read, rather long, and oddly paced for a proposed soap.  There's a long backstory, then nothing happens except for a lot details about clothes, then the end of the book turns into a whole other story. 

Meanwhile, I still don't understand why anyone would name a store Scruples.  It's clearly inspired by the old Beverly Hills Store called Giorgio (where we used to go as kids because they gave out free candy), so you'd think she'd name it after Billy's husband Ellis or her first love Edouard.

The number of times that Krantz and Jacqueline Susann casually drop the "f" word as a homosexual slur is shocking by modern standards, considering their gay icon status. Just as her constant use of rape as a plot device that women need to overcome in order to find love sticks out like a sour thumb.

Thanks @Paul Raven I confused Krantz's Scruples with Secrets, the European TV series that Conboy produced (I also went back to read that thread on here).  Interestingly on YT, there's also a Danielle Steele miniseries titled Secrets; I guess it's not that unique as a title.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Nope, I've never seen the 1981 movie. I am intrigued about the idea of it airing on ABC, as 1981-82 was the year that Dynasty gradually became a hit.

The only thing I remember about the book is Billy learning French fluently because it was all that was ever spoken when she stayed with a host family. I remember more of the miniseries, like stroke victim Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. giving Lindsay a pep up message with his Scrabble tiles (U got clas, kid), or Gene Tierney lusting after Kim Cattrall.

• 3 weeks later...