RUMOR: YR Actress Back For Good

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yep. Asians of any ethnicity barely exist, but primetime hasn’t made much progress there until recently. Black folks are the only ones who are brought around to sit around. They’re ornamental. A box to tick off. They’re, as Maria Arena Bell so inelegantly put it, “that black storyline.”

It’s funny: neither character was written *well* and a LOT of offensive stereotypes were trotted out, but LML loved playing Dru in the same way Mal appeared to love playing Hilary, but neither actress was respected. And when they both left/were forced out, that was it for any real “A” story involving black characters under their pen.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I know many felt LML wrote Dru in a stereotypical way, but I disagree. I do think she's a great writer based on what she did on Homefront and Knots Landing, but the total control she had ruined things. When Kay Alden and Jack Smith were working with her the show was great. I LOVED that she gave Neil, Dru, Lily and Devon real storyline. It's crazy to go back and look at episode lists and see that they were truly frontburner and had so much screentime. Once Dru left that's when the ratings tanked and LML's fate was sealed. Had Victoria Rowell not left I imagine she could've remained much longer. Victoria Rowell was carrying the show at that time, which is why I'd love to see her return. 

With this talk of Hilary returning, I do think she'd give them a boost of screentime, but I still think overall they will be underserved. I don't know what this would mean for Elena. She hasn't been developed outside of Devon's love interest. No job, no friends. Ana according to Twitter scuddlebutt could potentially be written out, Jett was never meant to be more than a barely recurring character and Nate it's still up in the air there. It's a shame because when you look at how good the Adam story is, these characters could easily be providing a fabulous second A story that could balance the show and bring in a different demographic, but because they're black it just won't happen.

Hell, even B&B found huge success with Karla Mosley. I'm not saying she's the greatest actress on earth, but she was POPULAR and ratings were hot, but they didn't care. They made her character transgender, turned her into a goody two shoes and stopped featuring her. Even when these black actors prove themselves to be valuable it's as if the show works even harder to minimize them.

• Members

I don't believe this is going to happen. Have there been any spoilers hinting towards that? (I haven't seen any).

I don't think it will as Jett is barely around and after making an appearance these last couple of episodes is going back on tour. I don't see him gaslighting Devon. I think that the writing for him has been very basic and straightforward. He hasn't done much of anything besides sing since he's been on the show. I don't see them making him a villain all of a sudden.

As far as Ana goes, if they write her off, I think what they may do is send her off to be mentored by whoever Devon hires for her. At first, I thought that the potential mentor may be an onscreen love interest, but I now think that could turn into an exit storyline for her. I could see Devon sending her off somewhere to be mentored by someone. Or maybe if her and Devon keep clashing she will even volunteer to leave. According to the daily recap from soaps.com on Monday's episode, she says she feels guilty about Devon's panic attack. Maybe they keep clashing, she continues to feel guilty and decides to leave. That's a guess of mine.

I believe they may get rid of her and Summer's current love interest Theo to help free up some money for all of these returns. The actor that plays Theo is still filming but the character isn't shown much and not being developed at all. I could see them getting rid of him especially since it looks like they are bringing back Chance. Maybe they will do something with Chance and Summer. 

I could see Ana/Theo shown the door, I'm not sure who else they may get rid of. I actually think that Tessa is safe for now. They are giving Tessa somewhat of a storyline.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Im guessing 

That's the craziest part of it all. The genre won't even allow the black actors/actresses to prove themselves and earn better. They just dont want it. Even if mishael does come back, I'm sure itll be much of the same with her character. Maybe if they keep Elena, she will benefit from Mishael's character being crapped on if a qaud happens. But I doubt it. Knowing the show as I do, nd a way will be found to hurt both while propping Mariah and Tessa at both their expense. 

• Members

Ok, my apologies, I understand what you are saying now.  To me the issue is not even about Devon.  The issue is that for Elena there is nothing but Devon.  No storyline, no character development and in general as you put it no interest from the writers.  If she were white or anything other than partially black, this would not be the issue.  Soap writers hate black no matter what. 

• Members

How could she be brought back as Hilary?  Didn't she die in front of them all after the car accident?  She actually wasn't dead and Nate kidnapped her?  (Why would he do that?)?  That would be similar to how they ruined Neil...kidnapping her to "save" her.