Is It Just Me?: Quirky Things Only Another Soap Fan Can Relate To

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm a big fan of rain/storm-based episodes. I love them on daytime soaps, but so many primetime shows have done it so well, too. I remember being obsessed with an episode of Kyle XY where all of the main characters were stuck at the main family's house during a storm, and of course, the drama was HIGH.

Along the same lines as the theme music starting up in the background of poignant scenes, anytime a show's title is slipped into dialogue, I'm a sentimental mess, especially when it's proudly coming from the mouth of a longtime character. Extra points for when the entire tagline/verse associated with a show is brought out (all any Pine Valleyan had to do was say "The great...and the least..." and I was done - no need to say the rest) or the symbol from the opening sequence is incorporated into a scene. I know many could do without ATWT's last episode, but the globe spinning on Bob's desk, plastic as it was, was a beautiful moment.

• Members

LMAO!  I had to watch that several times.  Dusty's reaction is priceless.  I had to dig out my old As the World Turns 40th anniversary scrapbook to try to understand the relationship between Dusty and Lyla and Casey, but it didn't help much.  I figured out that Lyla ran a boarding house (boarding houses must have been popular back in the 80s and 90s) and assume the Dusty was staying there, maybe?  Was Lyla kind of a mother figure for Dusty or something?  I see that she was involved with John Dixon who was Dusty's guardian.  Lawd, this show's history is confusing. 

Anyway, so these freaks Lyla and Casey just leave the door open for any boarder to walk by and watch them get it on?  LOL! 

• Members

Lyla owned her own home and at times, decided to let out a few rooms, here and there to people, mainly employees at the hospital where she worked as a nurse.  Ironically, Casey, who later became her husband, had been one of the first people who rented a room in her house when he found the hospital resident doctor's housing inadequate. 

Dusty and then Meg, who both worked at Oakdale Memorial hospital, were the other two residents who let rooms in Lyla's house. 

Dusty, after a falling out with John, moved out of the penthouse and to Lyla's.  For a time he lived with Lucinda and John at Lucinda's estate but felt uncomfortable because Lily lived there.  At the time, Lily and Holden were at a tempestuous point in their relationship and Lily was constantly running to Dusty, which angered Holden and Dusty got tired of being an unwilling participant in Lily and Holden's relationship drama. Also Dusty still had feelings for Lily, so he moved back to Lyla's for awhile.  Until Dusty left for Harvard, he sort of went back and forth.

Meg, eager to hide her blossoming romantic relationship with Tonio (who was separated from Sierra but not yet officially divorced), moved away from the farm under the guise of being closer to the hospital, where she was enrolled in the Nursing program.

Dusty and Lyla had a prior relationship because of Lyla's relationship to John but it's not like they had been super close, or anything. 

Dusty became close to Casey, who often went as a go-between John and Dusty.  Once Dusty moved to Lyla's, I think that's when he became close to both of them as he was the first person they confided in about their romantic relationship.  Dusty was stunned at first but didn't judge and soon became a champion of the pairing, even convincing a snooping, initially judgemental Meg to mind her own business about it.  As Meg fell in love with Tonio amid all the criticisms of the relationship (including the age difference), Meg became more sympathetic of Lyla and Casey's relationship, even guarding details against prying questions from hospital colleagues.

Tonio even once suggested that Meg could use what she knew about Casey and Lyla to somehow gain leverage over them (both were still somewhat keeping their relationships under wraps at that time) but Meg refused to do so.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I loved ATWT's last episode.  I've never understood why so many people hate it.  It was probably one of the best endings I've ever seen in my opinion.  Narrated by a long term character - one of the first.  I wish Lisa had a bigger part in it, but I wished Lisa had a bigger part in the show overall.  I do wish that Martha Byrne had returned for the last episode, and I hear that Noelle Beck asked her to...and she said no.   I thought it would have been a great moment if Martha had returned for the last episode and at the beginning the announcer would have said, "The role of Lily is now being played by Martha Byrne". 

• Members

Thanks so much for this.  You're awesome!

For some reason ATWT history is a bit more difficult for me to grasp than GL.  It seems like ATWT has had many more significant characters or stories over the years to follow. 

• Members

Yes, lol, I grew up in an area that does not get severe weather. I mean, we got winter weather, but we were used to it (I am the type of person who laughs at Southern US news reports that are like, "OMG it's snowing, do NOT go outside or you WILL die!") But we had a CBS affiliate that acted like we got Hurricane Katrinas on the regular.

I at least tolerated it when they would announce that they would run the show in the middle of the night and you could set your VCR (later DVR) accordingly. It sucked when you were just SOL though, especially pre-internet.

Edited by juppiter

• Members

As a Canadian, I was always frustrated the weekly soap magazines wouldn't arrive until late in the week making most of the previews dated. Despite that, I spent my babysitting money and allowance on Soap Opera Update (my favourite mag!) and Sopa Opera Weekly.

This was in the 1997-early 2000s era before everything started popping up online. 

I also really enjoyed those end of year double issues where they did a 'best of.'

• Members

I love a good storm.

Big flashy parties with everyone in town on display--the rich at the party and the not so rich working it.

I love courtroom drama  with a big reveal (Nora Buchanon, Julia Wainwright, Mason Capwell, Scotty Baldwin, Justus Ward, Diane Miller being among my favorites).

I looked forward to the holidays in the 1980s--AMC did them the best.  I couldn't wait for Phoebe's empty-ish mansion to be filled with Linc and Kelly, Chuck and Donna, Brooke, Benny and Emily Ann, Hillary, Langley,and Phoebe singing and laughing.   The Horton ornaments, Steve Hardy reading the Christmas story. All of the little beats.  Of course ABC's soaps would have a double cast crawl--the contract cast+the full year of recurring cast and former contract players in the second half.

• Members

You're welcome.

Please register in order to view this content

These soaps should release some special edition collections of their classic costume and masquerade balls.  Guiding Light and As The World Turns also have some that I would love to see again!  ATWT also had a couple of fundraisers for AIDS research in the 1980s, which predates General Hospital's Nurse's Balls, I believe.

I'm surprised SoapClassics never did this for their P&G serials but then again, it ended so abruptly, they left a lot of possibilities on the proverbial table.