Sign in to follow this  
DramatistDreamer

Is It Just Me?: Quirky Things Only Another Soap Fan Can Relate To

I'm not sure this is a quirk or just a thing that pisses me off, but I've just gotten used to the fact that there will never be any fun soap-related merchandise or knick-knacks in stores. The "nerd" aisle now includes shrines to The Golden Girls and Bob Ross, but god forbid I get an Erica Kane mug or Y&R logo magnet.

And yes, I realize it's fairly easy to get something made online, but it's the principle of the thing.

2 hours ago, All My Shadows said:

I'm not sure this is a quirk or just a thing that pisses me off, but I've just gotten used to the fact that there will never be any fun soap-related merchandise or knick-knacks in stores. The "nerd" aisle now includes shrines to The Golden Girls and Bob Ross, but god forbid I get an Erica Kane mug or Y&R logo magnet.

And yes, I realize it's fairly easy to get something made online, but it's the principle of the thing.

I agree.  I think the death of soaps happened before the rise of fandoms being catered too, and that sucks for those of us that loved this genre.

There should be dolls of possessed Marlena and Deception and Jabot cosmetics and Erica Kane mugs with all her last names on it.

Meh, I find the constant fanservice that is so en vogue now to be completely exhausting. Orange Is The New Black was an intriguing show in its first season that was completely overwhelmed in subsequent seasons by constant and grotesque fanservice. 

Edited by juppiter

8 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I agree.  I think the death of soaps happened before the rise of fandoms being catered too, and that sucks for those of us that loved this genre.

There should be dolls of possessed Marlena and Deception and Jabot cosmetics and Erica Kane mugs with all her last names on it.

Well, remember when Angela Shapiro lead ABC Daytime and tried to make 'shop the soaps' happen? Remember the Todd Manning doll with the face scar? ::shutters::

18 hours ago, All My Shadows said:

Just found this lol

https://www.etsy.com/listing/712805325/all-my-children-erica-kane-mug

On 5/26/2019 at 5:21 AM, vetsoapfan said:

The Watergate hearings in the 1970s, which ran all day, every day on ALL THREE NETWORKS drove me insane. I agree that the hearings were of historical value and should have been broadcast, but the initial decision to air them daily on every network was ridiculous. I was mollified and relieved when the executives in charge of daytime TV came to an agreement, and starting rotating the broadcasts (only ABC on Monday, then only CBS on Tuesday, and only NBC on Wednesday, etc.) At least we could watch our favorite shows two of of every three days.

All I can say is Amen, Brother! Next think  you know it was time for Ollie North!

On 5/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, ~bl~ said:

I was thinking clip earrings back in the big hair era especially, and taking them off to answer the phone. 

That makes me think of Donna Love!

On 5/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, Vee said:

Goutman said no.

Right, Goutman said no.

At, or near, the end of ATWT, I liked all of the veteran ladies on that bus. Remember that day? I didn't like the last day at all. It just felt morbid.

17 hours ago, Donna B said:

All I can say is Amen, Brother! Next think  you know it was time for Ollie North!

That makes me think of Donna Love!

Right, Goutman said no.

At, or near, the end of ATWT, I liked all of the veteran ladies on that bus. Remember that day? I didn't like the last day at all. It just felt morbid.

I think that was 2006 for the 50th anniversary, unless you mean something else.