Jimmy Kimmel Presents Norman Lear's "The Jeffersons" and "All in the Family" Live on ABC

Vee

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh, forgot to mention. God Bless Marla Gibbs

Please register in order to view this content

I was thrilled to see her!

Love Jackee's tweet  My 227 loving heart enjoyed seeing them together again (and Jackee was great as Diane Stockwell!)

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I thought Will Ferrell did a great job, his dialogue in the hallway with Kerry Washington made me emotional.  I also really liked Marissa Tomei's energy as the always-hopping Edith.  

However, I thought Jamie Fox was showboating when he went up on his line and I felt like he was not being a team player and allowing others a moment.  I got stuck when Wanda Sykes said that The Jefferson's lived in a four-bedroom apartment, during her interview with Florence, because I think it was two bedrooms/four rooms, but she chose not to highlight her mistake.

I was really nostalgic for the sets.  I still recall when The Jefferson's redecorated their apartment, and how chic I thought it was that there was a cocktail lounge in their lobby, with a doorman, and a dry cleaner that delivered.  All in all, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Jamie Foxx was funny and nails some of Sherman’s mannerisms, but I don’t feel he was really present with other cast.

I love Kerry Washington. I think she’s very talented in spite of the flak she got for her performances on Scandal. She was a surprisingly great SNL host years ago. She should do more comedy.

Loved seeing Jackée and Marla together.

I understand why they did it in today’s climate, but it’s BS they repeatedly bleeped out the N word. In the context of the show, we needed to hear the weight of that word.

As already said, Tomei was brilliant and deserves to add an Emmy alongside the Oscar on her mantle.

• Members

Me too.

It's a real credit to Justina Machado she was willing to let them put her name on there as a fakeout. 

I wasn't going to watch because of Will Ferrell. I can't say I regret my decision. I'm glad Marla was included though.

• Members

I forgot completely Ferrell was in it until he showed up and I cringed immediately. Helen and Tom were made a parody of. I can kind of get what the actors were going for but it fell flat, IMHO.

I know Sykes is getting criticism but I think she was just doing her take on Louise and I didn't necessarily hate it, but Sanford was so full of life (but remember AITF Louise was more understated, but she still had her moments). Louise was very different than what she ultimately became on The Jeffersons so I thought it was a decent take, but was it a good use of her? No. I've rethought it and I appreciate her trying to do her own take. I think she wasn't trying to parody Isabel Sanford and looking back now, I appreciate that. There's a fine line between paying homage and being a total parody SNL skit.

Personally, I could have done without the Frank Lorenzo bit ... lol, sorry Sean Hayes but all I saw was Hairspray Live! when he walked in.

Edited by KMan101