Y&R February 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though I haven't watched a full episode in quite awhile, I watched the Nikki-centric episode from beginning to end and I enjoyed seeing the clips, especially the ones from over 20+ years. 

It is too bad that Y&R chooses not to acknowledge Terry Lester's time there, especially seeing how well he and MTS worked together onscreen.

Also seeing that scene where Nikki and Jack talk about the child who received their son's donor heart makes me think that maybe Y&R missed a chance to have the heart recipient, as an adult, come to Genoa City to seek out the couple who donated the heart that saved his life.  Maybe that person grew apart from his/her own parents and end up forming a bond with Nikki and Jack.  Maybe Nikki and Jack form an unhealthy attachment to this person, causing Victor and Kyle to become concerned, causing pushback from Nikki and Jack--there could've been a compelling story there.

Anyway, I did enjoy the flashbacks.  I was even surprised to see that clip where Katherine Chancellor  instructs Nikki to seduce Victor and discusses methods to do it.

Seeing that clip with Nikki and Neil, with Neil looking so good, makes me think that the time after KSJ's son Julian's death actually changed KSJ's looks.  It was good that they added that clip although I do agree with those who believe it was a last minute addition.

The contrast between those scenes from decades back and today's Y&R where there is a much more generic look to the show, is striking.  

• Members

But do you trust anyone who currently writes for this show to write it well? 

Over the past decade or so, every story that has been on Y&R has had to make at least one character a villain, if not an arch-villain.  There's next to no nuance on this show, whereas some of the most compelling storylines that I remember on soaps, featured people who hurt each other, often badly but there's no clear villain in the piece.  Often times, it's just people struggling to make choices, sometimes with the happiness of theirs (and others) at stake.

Y&R just doesn't do that anymore.

They'd end up making the kid eventually go crazy and turn around and try to kill either Nikki or Jack or some foolishness like that.

• Members

With capable writers, it could've been great.  I'm not sure why today's writers don't properly mine the past for relevant stories.  Oh well, perhaps because somebody at Y&R was forced to dig through the archives for Nikki's episode, just maybe it got somebody over there to think creatively of a decent story idea for future.

• Members

I liked most of the scenes with Summer on today's show. Including her and Mariah facing off and trading barbs about their mothers. I didn't like how Arturo called her the meanest coldest b**** he had ever met. I thought he went to far with that comment and even Abby seemed upset by it. I thought that Summer actually seemed genuinely upset that Kyle wasn't being allowed to visit Lola. I also like that Mariah was upset about that as well, and said that Rey/Arturo were wrong for that. 

I wish they would do more with Devon/Ana. Ana's storyline that was supposed to being developed more this month is basically non-existent right now. That's unfortunate. I didn't like how hard she was pushing for Devon to go see Lola. It's understandable they would have sympathy towards her, but neither one of them really know her that well. Tessa/Mariah know her better and they didn't go see her. Devon was really upset about seeing Lola, as it brought up memories of losing Hilary/the baby. He would have been better off not going to the hospital.  I also wonder if/when Fen may come back from being on tour. It's kind of strange he went on tour with only one minor hit. 

• Members

I noticed on some of the other message boards and youtube people are posting hateful comments on Melody's 40th anniversary. They are saying it should have been scrapped to do a tribute episode to Kristoff St. John. I read they plan to do one in April for him to say goodbye.

• Members

MTS looks great and I think she's focused more on the quality of her skin than anything else. When you look closely at her, she has wrinkles around her eyes, but soft wrinkles elsewhere, plus the benefit of a baby face. She might have had her jaw line tightened up, but if she did it's subtle. 

Archived