The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I posted this info in plain text (and screenshots) in the last posts at the end of the previous page of this thread.  
Not complaining that you posted. I'm *glad* you posted the article.

Just explaining why I posted in the way that I did:
I didn't post tweets about twitter accounts being suspended/deleted, because .... some of THOSE accounts were announcing the others being deleted (Olbermann for example) -- and then THEY got suspended/deleted.  There was a chain reaction happening.   So I chose to post in plain text.
At that time it was just info being tweeted out, and no article yet. so that's what I did.

Anyhow. thanks for posting the link to the article.  Hopefully the article will remain even if his twitter dematerializes.
Just in case, here is the LINK to the article you posted the tweet of:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tech-journalists-suspended-twitter_n_639bc62ee4b0f4895ad9ed9e?x7t

I noticed the article has info that I didn't have -- Ryan Mac opened another twitter account, telling what happened. Hope that one lasts.

WaPo article on same, via seattletimes, free:
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/twitter-abruptly-suspends-more-than-half-a-dozen-journalists/

• Members

I posted this the other day in regards to another topic, but the sentiment still applies here. These suspensions come on the heels of the disbandment of the Trust and Safety advisory group. I doubt that the two occurrences are unrelated.

Also, the reason many people claim to want to keep accounts is due to the presence of journalists on the platform, but if Musk can just banish them by fiat, even if he later restores those accounts, what does that say for the stability and trustworthiness of the platform? By the way, I think the site lost those aspects months ago, imo.

I am hearing that Twitter has banned Mastodon and is blocking all links to the Mastodon site.

• Members

Re: Ben Collins: On this thread last night, I posted plain text of Ben Collins' tweets with related screenshots, (instead of posting his actual tweets) because I feared that Elon would suspend/ban his twitter account, too.
But I never expected NBC to suspend him.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Not to be railing against the mainstream media but they were the same entities that courted and downplayed the dangers of Trump and they were also glorifying Musk’s SpaceX venture while ignoring his well-documented history of being a horrible boss, running, in essence, a caste system at Tesla.

Basically, I am unsurprised that the likes of NBC would punish Collins rather than conduct a serious examination of how Musk is using and abusing his power at Twitter.

In the last few hours, I have also heard that Musk shut down Twitter Spaces after learning that a group of journalists were using Twitter Spaces to discuss the recent wave of account suspensions of journalists who had written critically of him. 

I can’t even imagine any self respecting company wanting to be associated with this dumpster fire of a platform. If such companies still exist, what are they waiting for?

• Members

Update, Elon has since taken down Ryan Mac's second twitter @MacSilenced 

Copying what Ryan Mac said (in plain text) from the HuffPo article:

Mac, writing from a secondary account on Twitter, said he was given “no warning” before the suspension and has not been contacted in any way by the company.
“I report on Twitter, Elon Musk and his companies,” Mac wrote. “And I will continue to do so.”

• Some folks have asked so will try to answer here:
    -This is the notification on my account.
    -I was given no warning.
    -I have no email or communication from the company about the reason for suspension.
    -I report on Twitter, Elon Musk and his companies. And I will continue to do so. pic.twitter.com/Fz14nStH7U
    — Silenced Ryan Mac (@MacSilenced) December 16, 2022

The thing is, when reporting about deactivated twitter, news organizations really need to put screenshots in their articles.  HuffPo used RyanMac's second twitter account and the picture within that account's tweet - but now that tweet is gone so ... no picture showing and only the plain text.

It doesn't make sense for news organizations to embed a tweet from an account that could potentially soon be dematerialized.

Edited by janea4old