The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tylenol-murders-investigation-new-dna-tests-40-years-later/

The Tylenol case is fascinating to me because it changed consumer packaging forever, but 40 years later we are starting to see that the culture is biased toward believing that there is some boogeyman out to poison us all, rather than believe that a mentally-ill family member was trying to hurt their kids.  It is as if people are only worried when a threat may effect themselves, so they overestimate the concern rather than focusing on the most obvious conclusion. 

I keep thinking about how the Alec Murdaugh trial is using the same defense.  By focusing on issues like the fact that two guns were used, and the police never found the bloody clothes of the murderer, they would like the jury to believe that there are multiple unseen threats to safety, when in reality, wives are more likely to be murdered by their husbands than an unknown assailant.

• Members

With inevitable tweets like these:

(he asks people to subscribe to The Nation, which now seems to exist solely for Russia apologias).

I don't know who the hell the new Gawker was for - I assume just for very rich people who want to show each other how smart and above it all they are. Unfortunately, they did not have the endless money well that keeps similar sites like Jacobin choking along.

• Members

Years ago I followed Dave Rubin on social media when he was a comedian on OutTV.  Now, he goes on Fox News to rail against The Sims for including gender nonconforming undergarments using racist dog whistle language.   You know the universe is unjust when this loser of the Don Jr.-Lookalike-Pageant makes a better living promoting trans panic than entertaining the LGBTQ community.

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1620870887217176578?s=20

Edited by j swift

• Members

@j swift Rubin is one of the most pathetic sellouts and grifters I've ever seen. Last year when he announced that he and his husband were going to be parents to twins (such a stupid idea to broadcast this on social media unless you are an attention whore) he was lit up by many of his followers, who are not fond of lgbt people, let alone them raising kids. He also fled California (after insisting he could help get Gavin Newsom recalled) for Florida, trying to glom onto DeSantis. His endless mentions of Thanos and 1984 have made him even more of a joke.

This account (whoever ran it left Twitter when Elon took over) has many clips of his idiocy.

• Members

I don't understand the social media response to the destruction of the Chinese spy balloon.  Why are gen z'ers treating this as a joke rather than an egregious display on the part of China that they have lost interest in detente?  And will the NYT report that Trump hid three prior attempts at the same spy game during his presidency just become a coda to the humorous memes?

Edited by j swift

• Members

The New York Post explains why Dr. Phil is ending.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/05/dr-phil-tried-to-revamp-in-final-months-as-sponsors-fled-sources/

For the TL;DR crowd ...

It's for multiple reasons:
-- The credibility's gone; people tend to link Dr. Phil with Dr. Oz.
-- A-list sponsors and big-name panelists fled.
-- Focusing on harder news topics didn't work.
-- Backstage morale sucks; 25 jobs were cut and before then, it was a toxic workplace.

• Members

It's funny that they mention the shift from American Express commercials to vitamin supplement ads when they couldn't get big name sponsors because if you were to tune into Fox news on any given night that's all they sell, walk-in tubs and those automated chairs to carry folks up the stairs.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Is the Post deliberately using poor grammar for clickbate?  Because I think they mean she was compensated $1M to speak.  However, as written, it could be inferred that she offered them $1M to say a few words.

I mean I wouldn't want to have to sit through her lecture either way, but the intention was intriguing.  Can you imagine Kim K trying to create a PowerPoint deck, even for $1M?

• Members

Many have noted that Soap Opera Digest seems to be on it's last legs. A review of the publisher's website shows that they only sell 55,000 copies a week, to an audience with an average age of 54.3 and an income of 35K, which obviously does not make them competitive in advertising market.  Especially when one considers that even Ohio Cooperative Living sells 6x's as many copies per week.

But, today's news that their parent company A360media sold the National Enquirer and The Star, which they've been trying to sell for years, leaves them with Us, Closer,and Life & Style (each which sells 3x's more copies per week), and SOD.  Which makes me wonder if SOD's finale may happen this year?

Also, what's up with the cooperative community in Ohio that is so fascinating?

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift