The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

MLive runs 8 newspapers in Michigan. MLive made an official statement that they are no longer carrying the comic strip Dilbert, due to some horribly racist things the comic's creator Scott Adams said on his video show.
The editor said "I will not characterize Adams’ racist views or even provide a link to the video. If you are curious enough to subject yourself to that garbage, I’m sure your search engine or social media will guide you to it. My advice: Save yourself the poison."
https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/02/scott-adams-cancels-himself-dilbert-comic-strip-with-racist-diatribe-on-social-media.html

The editor of the Cleveland's The Plain Dealer made statement saying they are no longer carrying Dilbert for the same reason.
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023/02/we-are-dropping-the-dilbert-comic-strip-because-of-creator-scott-adams-racist-rant-letter-from-the-editor.html
He gave one example of what Adams said and added this regarding Adams: "He says a lot more in the video, mostly hateful and racist, all viewable on Youtube. [a link to the youtube] It’s a staggering string of statements, all but certain to result in the loss of his livelihood. I hate to quote him at all, but I do so to dissuade responses that this is a ‘cancel culture’ decision."

The Plain Dealer's editor added: "we are part of Advance Local, and the leaders in all Advance Local newsrooms independently have made the same decision we did to stop running the strip. That includes newspapers in Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Alabama, Massachusetts and Oregon."

The editors indicated that it's possible that Dilbert may appear once or twice more in one or more of the papers if it was already sent to print, but henceforth it will be replaced with a gray rectangle until each paper chooses a replacement comic or rearranges their comics layout.

In contrast to this ...  the Daily Beast has a big scandalous headline and quotes the full Scott Adams racist rant and embeds a video link to him saying it.
Gross.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

update: 

Gannett, the largest newspaper publisher in the United States, announced that it would be dropping "Dilbert" from all of its papers\. Gannett owns USA Today and all local newspapers in the USA Today network, including The Detroit Free Press, the Indianapolis Star, and The Tennessean, among others.

"Recent discriminatory comments by the creator, Scott Adams, have influenced our decision to discontinue publishing his comic. While we respect and encourage free speech, his views do not align with our editorial or business values as an organization," a Gannett spokesperson said in a statement. "At Gannett, we lead with inclusion and strive to maintain a respectful and equitable environment for the diverse communities we serve nationwide," the statement continued.