Developing: 90210 Reboot with Original Cast!

Chris B

• Members

I watched Wednesday's eppy and I actually liked it, but dare I say with the exception of Gabby and Shannon, none of these people are aging well.  Garth can't move her mouth so I have to lump her in with the others.  

Brian and Jason look like they have been rode hard and wet.  Tori is a whole new discussion thread.  

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Melrose revival had a great cast, especially Katie Cassidy and Stephanie Jacobson. It was the stories that let most of them down (except Cassidy, who owned the show singlehandedly). I thought it had more raw potential than 90210 2.0 when it was cancelled though.

90210 2.0 was always pretty bad. It had a talented cast wasted. Especially the original series vets (including Jennie Garth) and Lori Loughlin and Estes. But no, Jennie leaving over a rare good story is not their fault. Everything else is.

Re: Jessica Walter's character, which I knew wouldn't work, she was said to be off shooting films or vacationing constantly.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yikes at the ratings drop,  I think they probably should have released all of the episodes at once so people could binge. I see someone leaked their salaries to The Hollywood Reporter too

Please register in order to view this content

.  Only way I see this getting more episodes is if it sells well internationally off name recognition like all the other CBS produced brand reboots.

Ian did an interview saying they wanted 13 episodes and for the last one to be the actual 90210 reboot episode they spend all season making but the network only ordered six. Hopefully the finale is still that.

I did like the second episode and the soapiness of the potential stalker, setting Christine Elise up as the villain, Jason's wife pregnant by the head writer, and the Jason Jennie angst. Hopefully Shannen is in more of the epsiodes because we don't get nearly enough and I find the take on her character to be the most interesting next to Gabrielle (which has shocked the hell out of me because I only ever liked Andrea in season 1, Clare >>>>>>). I get Tori came up with the concept but she has way too much airtime for me. Her face comedy is only tolerable in small doses.

As for the CW reboot discussion, I actually liked the 90210 one best once they got rid of the OGs. They were never utilized properly and once they realized Naomi and Adrianna were the real stars, threw Shenae Grimes to the bushes and got a solid group dynamic I think the show found its footing nicely. I stopped paying attention when they went to college though. Melrose Place was a fail from the start, I don't know why they let those idiots from Smallville get their hands on it but they were horrible writers who admitted they never got the original. Katie Cassidy literally carried that whole thing on her back I'm sad she got forever stuck on The CW. They should have fired the writers when they initially wanted too instead of letting them try to reboot during the last half of the season 1 order, probably would have gotten the five seasons they wanted.

• Members

I do agree the lack of Shannen is disappointing, but this was always bound to be a Jeannie/Tori vehicle since they were producers and involved in the writing room. We're lucky to even have Shannen considering we know those girls don't like her. The ratings drop doesn't surprise me. I knew it would have good ratings, but I'm sure people were confused by the behind the scenes aspect and didn't keep watching. Sad to think how big it could've been as a proper reboot.q

• Members

Honestly, the ratings aren't bad for a summer show (yet at least) - it adjusted up to a 1.0 in the demographic and actually grew from Masterchef. It's still in renewal territory, but of course can't fall much from here on.

I get the feeling that the lack of Shannen is down to her only agreeing to do it at the last minute, so likely they had a couple of scripts ready and then added her in. Hence the randomness of Brian Austin Green calling her, despite there never being indication that they're close.

Edited by te.

• Members

I think BOTH Shannen and Jennie have aged very well. Jennie definitely had a bit of help it seems, but overall they both have amazing skin and look at the top of their form, IMHO.

Tori's just a desperate famewhore who desperately needed a paycheck. I have no comment. But being around the cast and in this show makes her tolerable to me. 

Brian Austin Green and Jason Priestley ... agreed with Chit, both look rode HARD. Not saying they still can't get it ... but yeah. They definitely look their ages.

Overall it's enjoyable, actually. A shame it's sinking in the ratings each week as it gets better but what do they expect? Fans wanted a real reboot. Not this. This is a good companion series but the marketing could have been better. The promos were "we're back" meanwhile you had to find interviews with the cast to understand the premise.

Putting it at 9pm behind a show I can't even remember the name of (MasterChef? that gets lackluster ratings) wasn't ever going to help it.

If we're basing it on what potential ratings it could have had, it won't last another season. If we're basing it on summer programming and similar ratings ... it's still probably a toss-up.

Meanwhile, probably surprising no one, Daphne Zuniga has said she's (probably?) in if they want a MP reboot (I've been seeing Locklear's mugshots again, how's she doing?). But it depends how BH90210 does. So I'm guessing this is going to go nowhere, sadly. But I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Yeah... with Priestley, I kinda cringe sometimes. Some fillers under his eyes would do wonders. I know firsthand that it really improves your overall look, appearing more awake, refreshed, healthy, etc. And it's not expensive. 

I know we should "just age gracefully" (yada yada yada, no one buys that baloney), but if I were on television being filmed in high-definition, I'd be hitting up the fillers and botox. Nothing crazy fun-house mirror like Tori, but just some subtle improvements. 

• Members

Exactly. Subtle improvements (and I agree that it would do wonders for Jason, maybe not Brian, yet). Tori's going to be Joan Van Ark in another decade (I hate to throw shade at the amazing JVA, but yeesh, though I haven't seen her recently) or maybe more Leslie Charleson when she's freshly done (I imagine ageist Phelps/Frons, who were no spring chickens mind you, did a number on both Charleson and Jackie Zeman causing the years of plastic surgery)

Edited by KMan101