Greatest Soap of All Time?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even numbers can be biased (see standardized tests). 

By whose metric are we using to judge merit?  Do awards truly mean anything, really? 

Some of the best films have missed out on awards, only for people to say fifty years down the road that it was robbed/overlooked.  Due to what, politics?

People have tuned into some of the biggest trash TV in droves (O.J. Simpson's car chase rates pretty high in viewing totals) but that doesn't make it good.

Even now, we are learning that newspapers and journalists are not totally objective and the judicial system can indeed by biased.

• Members

Awards have merit, in so far as the industry and money is involved, advertisers love ratings as antiquated as that system has become. The Oscars and Emmys are a bonanza for corporations and businesses that want to sell things.  It's nice that someone recognizes your work, I guess and for some, it can lead to more work and more money but for many, even an Oscar doesn't necessarily lead to anything special.

Speaking as an artist, if you're making art with awards and ratings in sight, your project is already in trouble. 

If you have taken a course in film criticism, you know that one cannot put bias and opinion aside-- this is a huge part of critiquing art.  It's a given that your personal experience is going to factor into how you view a piece of art.  You take all of that with you in evaluating what you're seeing.  People often gravitate toward what they like, not necessarily what's deemed best for them intellectually, artistically or otherwise.

• Members

IMO SFT was one of the best soaps on air along with the rest of the CBS lineup. I just realized I left out GL. It was great until up to 86 or 87 but for me the soap lost some of its luster due to poor storytelling. I guess it would be #6 on my list. 

• Members

Yes, Emmy nominations/wins (acting/directing/writing), ratings, and years on air. I can't really think of any other objective metrics... Let me know if you think of any..

I am LOL at your signature - the GG quote!

Yes! They all lead decades (ratings-wise). But ATWT wasn't an Emmy sweetheart..It's basically audience vs. the critics..

• Members

My answer (Y&R, AMC) was based not just on awards and viewership, but mainstream popularity that’ll maintain in the annals of daytime television. 

It’s hard not to include GH (Luke & Laura; ratings powerhouse ‘79-‘88) and ATWT (the soap EVERY mother or grandmother or great-grandmother watched). 

My thought process was the overall mark a show made in daytime history that will be often remembered. For example, B&B has been tops for decades, but someone who used to watch soaps “back in the day” is more likely to remember who Bo & Hope were versus Brooke & Ridge. 

(My two all-time faves are DAYS and GL but admittedly I don’t think either deserve the title as ‘Best’) 

Archived