Y&R October 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Honestly, I think KSJ was on his way out until his medical issue last year. It's significantly more complicated to terminate because he was under contract at the time. As far as his appearances, his availability could be related to his treatment/health rather than the writing. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I’m not sure they’ve even had a throwaway line explaining that Neil visited Lily offscreen or even having Neil reference the situation in any way. I see a lot of talk about this on social media. Granted, I’m not watching much so I don’t know.

• Members

@Faulkner I'm down to one episode a month, so I don't really know, except what I read in recaps and boards re: KSJ. I do wonder if some of Bryton's contracted episodes were taken up when Devon had to 'fill-in' for Neil during the big Newman PR crisis a few months ago. That could explain Devon's absence lately. 

Honestly, after having Neil kidnap and drug Hilary for those months - a horrible S/L choice - I could never accept the fact that Neil didn't get brought up on criminal charges and was so quickly forgiven by everyone. So having him support Devon is hollow anyway. 

• Members

I'm not sure what is going on with Neil/KSJ and his appearances. I hope his health is okay. It is kind of strange how they have been pointedly telling us that Neil is not around. It's one thing if he just weren't around, but they are making a point to explain his absences. First when they sent him off screen to attend to Sophia instead of letting him attend Lily's hearing and now having him say he won't be at Nick/Sharon's wedding, even after he attended Nick's Bachelor Party. It is strange. If this show was operating more like Days, I would say it might have something to do with episode guarantees. I'm not sure what is going on.

Maybe it could just be apart of phasing out the Winters family. Cane hasn't been shown much lately either. I don't think he was shown with Jill this last time around when Billy had his intervention. He's been shown visiting Lily here and there but I don't think he's been on a whole lot lately. Haven't seen much of the twins, Devon, Shauna, and mostly see Nate with Victoria, which isn't much. Maybe this is just a part of some bigger plan to phase the family out. 

• Members

As usual Big Red's entitlement knows no bounds. She had no business even being at the wedding with Billy yet she's there bashing Sharon over being late and calling her names.  Calling Kyle a jerk even when he was a child. He was only a "jerk" to her after she wrote that nasty article about his mother which helped further strain Jack's relationship with his son. But he should keep her cheating a secret. 

• Members

I hope Sharon slaps the S*it out of her smug face! but sadly I've learned whenever Phyllis is involved she always comes off as the "victim" and Sharon is the "villain"......

Please register in order to view this content

Phyllis is probably gonna make it seem like it was all Sharon's idea to keep the JT thing a secret out of revenge....

• Members

I liked today's episode.I thought that the scenes with Sharon showing up at the wedding and revealing the truth about NIck/Phyllis were good. 

Though the truth coming out and especially in the manner it did, was hurtful for her children, especially Faith. Faith is so sweet, and I think that the young actress did a good job of showing her concern, optimism and then sadness as she realizes her parents relationship is once again imploding. I am interested in watching the fallout tomorrow from the wedding, including watching more of how Faith and the rest of the kids act, as well as people getting on Phyllis for her role, and also Jack's reaction.

I'm also glad that Noah is back, although it's probably for a very brief stay. I enjoyed his scenes with Faith and the tense scenes he had with Tessa. A lot of times on soaps, they have characters missing at important events like weddings including people's kids, parents, siblings etc... It's nice they were able to bring him back for this event. 

• Members

Although the ending of today's episode was somewhat satisfying (yes, I watched...the first time in months!) I have to say that Y&R was in desperate need of a B story today. 

Having one single story on an hour-long episode is not what I'd call good soap.  There were some moments of drag where it seemed like there was filler scenes/dialogue and the show was stalling a bit for time.

Every really good episode where a wedding took place on a soap, there was at least one other story.  Does Y&R not have any other good stories to tell?  Or is it a cost thing?

And a bit unsettling to say that Camryn Grimes and Robert Adamson still have loads more chemistry than GC and Cait Fairbanks do.  Odd.

• Members

The episode that I watched last night struck me as somewhat claustrophobic, stuck in that church with nowhere else to go.  Never thought I'd long so badly for a B story to shift action occasionally.

Also, it wasn't so much the small number in attendance as it was the sad aspect that watching this--looking at Sharon's side of the church empty out when the bridesmaids went to the back of the church-- is that Sharon, other than her offspring, has no people.  That would be fine for a character who was on for a year or less, not twenty years.  Meanwhile, the Rosales family have taken root, what, less than a year after Arturo was introduced?

There are so many missing elements that show how far Y&R is from it's best, or even good state of being.

Archived