Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
j swift

Soapy Stuff of which I'll never tire

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Brolden said:

 

I absolutely love this as well. I remember the first few times I saw this happen when I started watching around 2000, I was completely weirded out by it... Why is so-and-so facing the wall, instead of their conversation partner? But it's such a beautiful way to show the inner conflict in the characters. I actually started doing it myself in real life, when I feel 'dramatic'... although it never pans out quite the same. :lol:

I've actually done this before! I'm a bit of a theatrical personality, so it's suiting. I sometimes face "camera" as well!

 

I also love giant confrontations, sometimes even with a slap, and NO ONE NOTICES! Even in the middle of the party, unless it's plot relevant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SteelCity said:

I've actually done this before! I'm a bit of a theatrical personality, so it's suiting. I sometimes face "camera" as well!

I wonder if it also requires a dramatic music cue to pull that off?  Next time, while facing away, pull out your phone and play an acoustic version of  a pop song; or that rattlesnake sound they use on Drag Race.

 

Which reminds me that I'll also never tire of couples with their own theme song that plays every time they enter a room.  Liz and Neil (DAYS) must have heard "Friends and Lovers" thousands of times before her affair with Carlo to Springstein's "I'm on Fire".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never get tired of villains lurking outside someones house or hiding in the bushes while eavesdropping, all as some evil music is playing in the background. I miss those type of scenes since soaps rarely do  them anymore,  DAYS was a master at them in the 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 4:53 AM, Brolden said:

 

I absolutely love this as well. I remember the first few times I saw this happen when I started watching around 2000, I was completely weirded out by it... Why is so-and-so facing the wall, instead of their conversation partner? But it's such a beautiful way to show the inner conflict in the characters. I actually started doing it myself in real life, when I feel 'dramatic'... although it never pans out quite the same. :lol:

 

Two Faces East. The classic soap camera shot. I remember learning that term in film school and nobody else could think of a time they’d seen such a shot and here I am thinking: they use this on soap operas ALL the time! 

 

I love when villainous characters talk  out loud to themselves, particularly in their own home (not sloppily in public) 

 

I love when an announcer informs us of a recast too... or the return of an actress from maternity leave (they did a particularly long voiceover announcing KKL’s return to B&B back in ‘97). 

 

Two people embracing in a long hug and one or both secretly show their true emotions towards that person during the long embrace. 

 

Whenever a show introduces a new set that’s large, expansive, and intricate and you just know they’re proud of their work done and it’s about to get a lot of airtime (sadly, a moment rarely seen nowadays) 

 

Joseph Mascolo breaking the fourth wall and saying to us, “It’s good to be back.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A black gloved hand caressing the photo of the next intended vicitm..while off kilter music plays to show that the gloved one is...off kilter...if we know the killer an added plus is a voice over...."Its now time for you to go for a long sleep,,,"

 

Marland used to do the door way "Its YOU!" quite often on Friday, but on Monday it would be a normal "Its you" and a friend comes in..I never got tired of the eavesdropping right when someone is about to say who someone's real father or mother is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How bout when the characters were out to dinner, the Maitre-D  had to approach them if they had a phone call they needed to take....now everyone has their cell phones...


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/9/2018 at 12:59 PM, Gray Bunny said:

 

Two Faces East. The classic soap camera shot. I remember learning that term in film school and nobody else could think of a time they’d seen such a shot and here I am thinking: they use this on soap operas ALL the time! 

 

 

It was a common shot in Old Hollywood movies. I think soaps borrowed it from that era. (cause it's also very quick and easy to do)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, j swift said:

There are certain soap tropes that get me every time:

 

 

Men wearing speedos around an oddly lit pool

 

A hot shirtless man....prefer this one....:wub:

 

Chandler-Massey-and-Freddie-Smith-in-Day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Aback said:

 

It was a common shot in Old Hollywood movies. I think soaps borrowed it from that era. (cause it's also very quick and easy to do)

 

Particularly soapy when they implement rack focus, switching from the person in the background to the person in the foreground, vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tortuous birthing scene ( in cave, abandoned building, barn etc ) where heroine gets to scream her lungs out while hero offers endless encouragement bedside until infant arrives - tears and embraces follow.

 

Slow motion fall over balcony/out of window/downstairs -  cut to terrified onlooker(s)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...