Sign in to follow this  
frequentsoapfan

Plots You're Tired of on Soaps

3 hours ago, Khan said:

AMC was especially guilty of having their more venal female characters become victims of sexual assault.

It almost always felt like a tool to "punish" a character or weaken them, I'm usually not a fan of rape stories because it feels like there was some underlying agenda behind it. When it's a male rape, they play it for laughs (Hi, Hogan Sheffer, wherever you are). At least on DAYS they call Kristen's rape of Eric what it was - rape. And they don't sugarcoat Kristen doing it.

I'm tired of everyone having baby rabies (when in reality it's a lazy writer's way of "having a story"). 

I also get tired of people liking a character or wanting them reformed because "they're hot" or they like the actor or actress. Some characters need to have a specific shelf life.

(OK, some of this is complaining in general, but still ...)

18 hours ago, Fevuh said:

Worn out triangles and relationships.  Liam/Wyatt/Hope/Steffy - Insert extra person.  On B&B next - Brooke being a total manipulative baby-talking whore that never gets called out on it but berates everyone else for similar behavior, not nearly as bad as hers.  Now Hope is the same.  Ya got the man that Steffy gave to you, ya got the baby, ya got the marriage and ya still can't toss a morsel to someone yet they are the "good girls".  Logans are always the good girls. They're whores.  And today I tuned in at the end and saw Brooke goin' after Steffy....I wish Steffy would PUNCH her and then go hunt down her daughter.  I used to be a Hope/Brooke fan...fan of the Logans since the beginning.  Brooke can go now.  She needs to be killed off in a nice little murder mystery and let her be GONE.  Especially since she mentioned to Steffy - you SLEPT with your HUSBAND'S DAD!  And she JUST had LUNCH with him and conspired AGAINST HER OWN SISTER.  AND SAID...we can't tell anyone about this! 

All of this.

Most soap characters at this point are beyond hypocrites. No one really has a stone to throw at anyone but they do anyway. I guess it'd be boring if they didn't.

Edited by KMan101

5 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Or they get raped, which is just...

I feel like sometimes they do that to gain easy sympathy and fans for newer female characters. Rape, abuse, or cancer are their go to plots for newer female characters or recast female characters instead of giving them decent day to day writing. 

Edited by frequentsoapfan

3 hours ago, KMan101 said:

It almost always felt like a tool to "punish" a character or weaken them, I'm usually not a fan of rape stories because it feels like there was some underlying agenda behind it. When it's a male rape, they play it for laughs (Hi, Hogan Sheffer, wherever you are). At least on DAYS they call Kristen's rape of Eric what it was - rape. And they don't sugarcoat Kristen doing it.

I'm tired of everyone having baby rabies (when in reality it's a lazy writer's way of "having a story"). 

I also get tired of people liking a character or wanting them reformed because "they're hot" or they like the actor or actress. Some characters need to have a specific shelf life.

(OK, some of this is complaining in general, but still ...)

All of this.

Most soap characters at this point are beyond hypocrites. No one really has a stone to throw at anyone but they do anyway. I guess it'd be boring if they didn't.

Now I KNOW you're talking about some people who will spam two pages of a thread with pics about how hot someone is, and demand they keep that actor together with another actor/actress because even though they can't act worth crap....."OMG they look so sexy together! when's the sex scene coming?!" and then complain they have no story.....are you? LOL

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Now I KNOW you're talking about some people who will spam two pages of a thread with pics about how hot someone is, and demand they keep that actor together with another actor/actress because even though they can't act worth crap....."OMG they look so sexy together! when's the sex scene coming?!" and then complain they have no story.....are you? LOL

lol! I had no one from here in mind when writing the post. 

Let me add how obnoxious it is that no one ever just jumps to the obvious conclusion about reoccurring events? At some point when someone starts saying that so and so is alive, that one person might say, "well, I came back from the dead last November, so let's check it out!"

Also, how's it possible that everyone in town is the same religion?! What's better, how can these multi-married people who are so religious get married in church every time?! 

I'm so sick of every new character ending up related to, or having a previous relationship, which usually leads to relation, to someone presently on canvas. Usually a main family. Why can't someone just came to town just to start college, or get a job at one of the huge companies in town? Hell, why not just come to town to get a new start?! Every character being related is gross and closes off storytelling. You need some wild card players in there to shake it up.

Grief sex, and any other sexual encounter that suggests that people are always ready, willing and able to have sex.  I don't know anyone who could get it up after a funeral; let alone in the rented limousine. 

Actors sacrificing vanity for an Emmy.  Men shaving their heads for cancer stories, (while still working out their biceps), and women forgoing full makeup to demonstrate their commitment to the craft.  As Lawrence Olivier said to Dustin Hoffman when Dustin said that he had been up for three nights to appear tired in a scene, "next time try acting, dear boy."

Edited by j swift

6 hours ago, j swift said:

Grief sex, and any other sexual encounter that suggests that people are always ready, willing and able to have sex.  I don't know anyone who could get it up after a funeral; let alone in the rented limousine. 

Actors sacrificing vanity for an Emmy.  Men shaving their heads for cancer stories, (while still working out their biceps), and women forgoing full makeup to demonstrate their commitment to the craft.  As Lawrence Olivier said to Dustin Hoffman when Dustin said that he had been up for three nights to appear tired in a scene, "next time try acting, dear boy."

I said plots not acting choices that interfere with your fetishes

I also have grown to hate stories where complicated women are raped and then become saints once the story is told.  It trivializes complicated women, and trivializes rape.

I wish in a town like Salem, where nearly every major female character has been raped, they would take that to the next level.  If ever a show could present a take back the night event and have so much history and survivors present it would be DAYS.

35 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

I wish in a town like Salem, where nearly every major female character has been raped, they would take that to the next level.  If ever a show could present a take back the night event and have so much history and survivors present it would be DAYS.

Then they couldn't have a rape survivor falling in love with a serial killer.

I wonder if these writers and producers ever sit down and really think about what they're writing. It doesn't seem like they do.

14 hours ago, j swift said:

That's not remotely the same. Hoffman could have easily appeared tired with makeup. An actress not wearing makeup because her character is dying of cancer makes...sense? It's not always about vanity. Sometimes, only sometimes, soaps make logical choices.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, DeeeDee said:

Making heroines punching bags for vixens and villains.

THIS.

Used to be that heroines gave as good as they got from vixens and villains. For example, I know I miss how Liz used to be on GH. Letting Carly know from jump she was not going to let her push her around and was not afraid to get down and dirty to fight for what she wanted. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, KMan101 said:

lol! I had no one from here in mind when writing the post. 

Well, I figured you meant for example OLTL Todd Manning back in the day versus someone wanting to bait another. :ph34r: