Sign in to follow this  
frequentsoapfan

Plots You're Tired of on Soaps

I've said it before but I'm actually beyond tired of family members swapping sex partners like they're aren't enough people living in these cities. It's not even shocking as it's become the norm. It's just ridiculous and disgusting.

Baby switches! There have been about a billion since 2004. Every other year there's a baby switch. And it never ever impacts the canvas once whoever lost a baby gets their baby back. 

On that note, dead babies. Enough. These people lose children as frequently as some people lose socks.

Long-lost children. These writers/execs think that just making someone related to a main family will make us care. They don't bother with having it make sense with the characters or the timeline of the show, as long as your Bright Shiny New Thing shares DNA with someone we care about we'll fall in line. See: Ethan on GH, Anna's random son with Faison on GH, Niki and Paul's impossible son on Y&R, Nina's child on GH no one gives a sh!t about on GH because no one likes her, etc.

Edited by Darn

28 minutes ago, Darn said:

Baby switches! There have been about a billion since 2004. Every other year there's a baby switch. And it never ever impacts the canvas once whoever lost a baby gets their baby back. 

On that note, dead babies. Enough. These people lose children as frequently as some people lose socks.

Long-lost children. These writers/execs think that just making someone related to a main family will make us care. They don't bother with having it make sense with the characters or the timeline of the show, as long as your Bright Shiny New Thing shares DNA with someone we care about we'll fall in line. See: Ethan on GH, Anna's random son with Faison on GH, Niki and Paul's impossible son on Y&R, Nina's child on GH no one gives a sh!t about on GH because no one likes her, etc.

You basically covered my issue with long lost children on soaps. Make work for some viewers but it sure isn't working for me.

Doppelgängers and long-lost twins - Stories in which lookalikes take the place of a known character make everyone involved look stupid. You’re going to tell me that a character’s not going to notice differences in mannerisms or if there’s intimacy involved, differences in body hair, muscle mass, or anatomy?

brain tumors/bipolar disorder/multiple personalities to write a character out of a hole after they have done something foul, usually killing someone. 

13 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Oh and speaking of which, rapists, murderers, and abusers turned into heroes who have the moral high ground.

Welcome to GH's day to day!  

20 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

Welcome to GH's day to day!  

I feel like GH is one of the worst with this. Everyone who would be considered a villain on other soaps is a hero or heroine on that show. 

29 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

single soap families of color being counted as diversity.

15 minutes ago, YRfan23 said:

Behind the scenes politics!

While these are big issues they aren't plots. These are more like things that annoy you about soaps in general.

Truthfully, I'm not tired of any plots on soaps.  I'm just tired of so many plots on soaps being written badly.

25 minutes ago, Khan said:

Truthfully, I'm not tired of any plots on soaps.  I'm just tired of so many plots on soaps being written badly.

This! 

I'm tired of poorly written plots with awkward execution and awful premises. 

A good writer can make many things work and there isn't much that one can say is truly new, everything is rooted in some type of common theme that has existed in the past, but it's the writing and execution that makes a concept appear original and different.

For the past fifteen+ years, many soap writers haven't even been trying, every storyline is so utterly recycled and constructed so shoddily.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

1 hour ago, frequentsoapfan said:

While these are big issues they aren't plots. These are more like things that annoy you about soaps in general.

haha I know, but remember the BTS stuff is also a soap! :D 

but in general, I think Love Triangles are what I'm mostly tired of honestly....I know they are a big trademark on soaps, but there isn't ONE that is written well or enjoyable...