Plots You're Tired of on Soaps

• Members

So many of the great soap leading ladies—Erica Kane, Reva Shayne, Alexandra Spaulding, Nikki Newman, Katherine Chancellor, Victoria Lord, Dorian Cramer, the list goes on—has had a retconned child. Very few of those new characters were worth the trouble of screwing up history.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And said children always get shoved down our throats, many times in favor of legitimate offspring that we have grown to know and love onscreen.  That makes the entire plot point even more annoying.

Oh, and I just *LOVE* it when a retconned child is created while pissing all over history.  The latest example:  Stefan O. Dimera on Days.  The entire point of making Vivian insanely jealous of Carly was that she didn't have the capability of conceiving a child.  Her jealousy over Nicholas plainly boiled down to her barren womb.

It also made it even more unbearable when Stefan turned out to be a s#it character and a clown of a villain.  I can stand it better now that Barash is in the role, however. 

• Members

OH GAWD!!

I never watched AMC very much, but I didn't have to view it regularly to realize that is the worst example of this crap of all time.  

Christ, they undid one of the most provocative and relevant stories of that golden era of soaps, to grace us with a character I could not sit through for ten seconds. 

• Members

No, no, no.  You're thinking of Josh Madden, aka "The Unabortion," lol.  That was Erica's OTHER retconned child (whose very existence defied medical science, but whatever).

Kendall was the daughter Erica conceived (allegedly) after being raped at age 14 -- events that had never before been part of Erica's backstory, or even alluded to in the 20+ years prior.

I'm still mad about Kendall, and I'm still mad about Josh, too, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

This character who isn’t related to anyone was actually a Bauer/Hughes/Brady all along.

A young unmarried man who accidentally knocked a young lady up is so excited about his upcoming fatherhood that he runs in slow motion to the abortion clinic, where he arrives just in time to talk her out of the procedure. 

A villain has completely changed his entire appearance without any scarring. 

Edited by juppiter

• Members

And nobody remarks, "Why don't you believe it? The same thing happened to at least three other people in our town?"   

At this point, these four questions should be asked during any murder investigation in Salem: (1)"Has the victim ever been dead before?" (2)"Have you ever met the victim's doppelganger? (3)"Have they recently been involved in an undercover operation or international espionage? (4) Is there a relative who could make a surprise appearance if this murder case were to go to trial?"  

If the murder meets all four criteria then investigate, if not you're just wasting your time until they show up in a cheap wig.

Edited by j swift