Star Trek: Picard

• Members

Fair. I haven't watched Voyager in years, and want to do a rewatch soon, but I always remember enjoying them as kid even though it just seemed a budget version of Deanna and Riker lol. I'd probably have a somewhat different opinion as an adult. Yeah, I feel like the success of Picard and if the Michelle Yeoh movie hits, then that would open stuff up for a Janeway series or movie and definitely a DS9 movie. I know there'd be no Odo and I doubt Avery Brooks would appear, but I think the rest of them would be up for a movie.

Totally agreed. I think 13/14 episodes is a good sweet spot for stuff like this. There were definitely a few things in Picard this season that could have used an extra episode or two to breathe and some stuff they could have touched on more if they had a few more episodes.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I assume a lot of the stuff they never got around on this season will pop up on Legacy, if/when it happens. Maybe not the Ro stuff onscreen since that would have probably require more than what Michelle Forbes wants, but the rest for sure I could see happening. Shelby, whatever he had in mind with Kira, the Naomi and Seven reunion, Captain Harry Kim. That's all stuff I could definitely seeing being touched on. Still holding out though on Janeway getting her on thing hopefully.

Reading a lot of the finale interviews with the TNG actors. Most of them seem keen on the Legacy idea and them making one off appearances here and there. Frakes especially seems to really want his kid to be on the ship and for his idea of being the admiral they have to check in with every once in a while to be a thing lol, along with Deanna being there as the counselor they have to visit. I think that could be fun. I was surprised to see Brent Spiner floating the idea of having Data and Soji meeting onscreen at some point and that he was hoping for that to happen in the future. I know Soji wasn't anybody's favourite but I wouldn't mind a one off meeting onscreen at some point.

• Members

Anything that keeps Garrett Wang from crying in public at conventions any more works for me!

I highly doubt she will ever return again but I would be super onboard for a two-parter with Ro being sprung from a Changeling gulag or whatever.

• Members

Kind of long and not anything super new but interesting podcast where Terry Matalas talks more about how that Covid, money, and filming logistics kept them from using characters like Janeway, Soji, Kira, Harry Kim, Kestra, and Ro for a second time. Sounds like working with basically only four sets meant they had to go smaller than what they wanted and really think about whether some of those scenes would work and how to get those characters involved. When they realised most of them didn't make sense or they couldn't afford to build another set to make it work, the scenes got cut. Vibes with another interview I heard where he said they kept mentioning Janeway and Kestra because the audience and the story obviously needed those beats but held off mentioning other people so the audience didn't get bogged down in people they weren't going to see or didn't know. I know he mentioned in this somewhere else also, but it sounds though like they did try to get the second Ro appearance to happen but just couldn't figure it out money wise or get Michelle Forbes back.

Also this is from right before the finale, but a podcast where Jonathan Frakes sounds super optimistic about Legacy and seems to float the idea or assumes that cast would be Seven and Raffi with the TNG kids (other than Soji) with appearances from the TNG cast and characters from that era. 

Edited by AdelaideCate007

• Members

It's really pretty remarkable what they accomplished. Again, just like Nick Meyer's two Trek films they were nickel and dimed and had to cut corners on sets, FX, etc. and still brought home some very quality work that became a hit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A long but honest and really insightful interview with Matalas. The host get some good answers out of him and press on some things. Interesting that one of his biggest regrets is that they thought people would have a better understanding that the Agnes Borg were different than the mainline Borg but that he realises now it was confusing to a lot of people. Also mentions that he wishes they'd included the line about Kestra's whereabouts in the last two episodes since he thought people would get she was safe but it ended up not really landing that way for some of the audience. Touches a lot on stuff they wanted to do. He goes deep on Naomi and it sounds like he wants to circle back to that again and that it came down to doing that scene vs something like Daystrom Station and one had to go. Has ideas for Alexander and all the TNG kids. They were hedging their bets on hoping it'd work out for Janeway but the clock and money ran out. Tuvok was always meant to be involved. Has a backstory on Vadic and the Borg Queen. I thought it was interesting also that he doesn't want to give away too much about his ideas for what happened in the aftermath of Frontier Day in case he's able to pick that up again.

Really interesting that he says Gates McFadden was down for whatever ideas they threw at her where as Michael Dorn and Levar Burton had very specific ideas about where they wanted their characters to be at.

Also worth mentioning that at the end he says he has a deal with CBS/Paramount but then kind of back away from wanting to say more and won't touch on what that means. All in all, a really interesting listen.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

^ Wow that whole article, lots of wtf, and it explains why a lot of things seemed stupid or didn't make sense.
Especially changes to and confusions about the Jurati Borg stuff.

Also, side note:
they link to another article, which then linked to another article from The Hollywood Reporter...  that said ST:Picard had to shut down in early January 2022 due to
over 50 members of the production testing positive for COVID, which was
just over 10% of the show’s large 450 person crew
. TrekMovie also independently confirmed the production pause.

Edited by janea4old