Star Trek: Picard

• Members

It's no big deal. I think those Troi stans online get pretty militant though lol. If Marina was truly pissed I think we'd know it, but she also speaks off the cuff a lot. But yes, why CBS won't give them another 5-10 mins more often outside of finales is beyond me. This is streaming, it's not an episode of Blue Bloods on the main basic network.

I do think it will be a mistake if they don't show Janeway next week (especially since

Please register in order to view this content

is going to be back). There is too much background with her, Seven and the Borg as well as her admiral's role in Frontier Day which has been heavily mentioned. If she doesn't show up I will have to blame either runtime, budget/scheduling or worst of all, Nickelodeon though I seriously doubt Nick could insist on them not using Janeway at present. She has to be at least mentioned.

For the most part I am happy with all the time given to other character beats. All the Crusher stuff in the last few weeks, and the lovely little scene with LaForge and the new Data discussing his new self last week. I would've liked to see a little more of Marina before if it was possible (though that seems to be a matter of opinion BTS) but so far for me this is shaping up like Star Trek VI - would I have liked a little more here or there, sure, but it is a damn good finale for this group. It is heavily patterned after VI in fact, which may be my favorite Star Trek movie of all time. (Except unlike Picard with Crusher, they didn't get to do the romantic beat with Kirk and Carol Marcus they'd scripted originally in TUC.)

The people I can't tolerate are the super weird, small but very vocal fringe subset of fans who ride or die for the first two seasons on some Trek forums and claim it's conservative right-wing erasure of progressive characters that this show is not using Soji, Rios, Agnes Jurati, Elnor, etc. lol. I enjoy some things about the first season and I love Allison Pill and Michelle Hurd, but I think that first season is largely a mess and I don't think anyone can sanely claim those characters or stories were generally well-received or popular. I wouldn't mind seeing poor Elnor (apparently stationed on the Excelsior last season, so hopefully he uh, transferred off before today's episode?) once more in the background or something. But with the exception of Raffi I don't care about most of those people.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They've been loud and aggressive as hell on Twitter and in other places for weeks now lol. The Picard hashtag is a mess half the time between them, the Beverly stan army, and the Saffi fans. I do think people, both her stans and others, need to realise that her saying she's disappointed about a few thing doesn't equal she's mad and never coming back to Trek. Just looking around, she was one of the ones saying she'd love to come back for more before the season aired. I know some of that is promoting the show, but I doubt most of these people would turn down more down the line. Like I said and you have said, sure it would have been nice for there to be more- same with everyone!- but I've thought she's been used well more or less. But yeah, I feel like a lot of these legit minor complaints people have could have just been solved by tossing in a line or two or adding five minutes in here or there. I can take or leave the Raffi and Seven romance myself, but I feel like people wouldn't be flooding the timeline and comments with questions about it if they'd just thrown something more in the dialogue other than "we broke up". Same with all the other minor things that could have used a line or two.

If there's no Janeway, then idk. They've been mentioning her pretty consistently through the season so it'd be a real miss for me if she's not there. Kate Mulgrew is so tied up with Trek again these days that I can't imagine she'd turn it down.

I agree with the Star Trek VI comparisons. Like I mentioned, the Riker/Deanna stuff, Crusher/Picard, Crusher on her own, the Data/Lore scenes, and all that have made this worth it to me and given me what I was looking for. 

I wasn't aware that was going on lol. I enjoyed a lot of the first season- the aforementioned Kestra and Laris, the more world weary Picard, Raffi, getting Seven roped into the TNG crew. The second...was what it was but I'm willing to chalk that up to covid and move along. I think Alison Pill is brilliant but that character never did much for me and I can't say I've missed her. I enjoyed Rios to a point and again, think he's a great actor, but that character kind of ran his course. There's no point in Rios when you have Riker and Worf back. I had forgotten all about Soji and Elnor till I noticed people complaining about their whereabouts. I just don't care and the last thing this season needed was more bodies just standing around taking up space. I don't think it's some conspiracy. They had a chance to get the original crew back and took it. I don't know how they were supposed to use any of them in this current story. Raffi obviously survived based on the Seven connection, being a veteran actress, and someone they could slot in with the original crew. I'm not sure what people would want from idk Agnes and Elnor this season.

• Members

I know the Troi militants or the Seven/Raffi fangirls exist if I dig a lot but I almost never see them on Twitter in the trending #StarTrekPicard hashtag, so that's small mercies for me. I had no idea anyone could possibly have anything to complain about for Beverly. I do see the real crazies I mentioned on random Trek forums, and of course there's the hardcore who will never like anything produced for Trek after 2002. But for the most part with this season it's been a very positive mass response and I'm glad for it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

LOL i read twitter for soaps commentary but I've never once read twitter for Trek commentary.

I was reading trekbbs.com in past few years (although I don't post there.)  But for Picard season 3 there is so much interest that each episode has 75-100 pages of replies - for one episode! - so I didn't bother to read at all.

I don't watch Trek for relationships.  I don't watch Trek for spaceship technology.

I watch Trek for stories of interplanetary transformation.

• Members

Every time I click on a Terry Matalas tweet, I see a bunch of the Troi fans shouting and arguing lol, or at least I did before she showed up. It's like kay. For whatever reason, I get a lot of the Seven and Raffi stans on my for you tab and there are....some interesting takes for sure. I don't really mean anyone being negative about Beverly's story. It's just a lot of fan girls lusting over her and there seem to be a lot of them lol.

I took a peak over at the TrekBBS boards once earlier this season and peaced out after. The fighting was just too much. I peak at Reddit sometime and the relies are surprisingly positive. I'm happy with the response as well and I'm sure they are too. I hope they can seriously get a new 25th century show going with Seven.

Edited by AdelaideCate007

• Members

By far, my favorite this season from the original crew is Worf.  He makes me so happy!  He has changed/evolved with age through the years in some ways, but is still totally himself. He just feels *right* to me.

From the entire Season Three cast, my faves (in no particular order) are Worf, Seven, Sidney La Forge, and Raffi.

• Members

Specific finale spoilers have started to appear online. I had a couple sprung on me unexpectedly (not anything people couldn't guess already), but apparently there are more detailed ones floating around out there including stuff about

Avoid all that if you don't want to accidentally see anything.

More generally though, people that got to see the episode are posting their vague reactions. Seems really positive and like they end things on a hopeful and heartwarming note. Also seems that there's some really  good stuff

• Members

I did get some key details re: the end spoiled, but nothing relating to the actual plot, the action or any surprise cameos (well,

There is one thing I think a lot of hardcore tech nerds will be up in arms about and it wouldn't have been my choice, but I understand why they're doing it for the franchise. It's not that serious lol.

Edited by Vee