Facts of life Reboot

John

• Members

Well, I put the term on quotation marks because I find that it no longer has a clear definition and has become a catch-all for anything that furthers a pre-existing franchise, but it’s highly likely that this FOL “reboot” would more closely resemble the new incarnation of ODAAT (which I’ve watched more than enough of both the original and new series to determine their relation to one another) than it would fall along the lines of Roseanne or Will & Grace.

I miss the days when we used the very certain terms “remake” and “revival.”

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Blah blah blah.  Whatever.  

You know, I'm not the only one who has expressed reservations about this move -- but, as always, you have to single me out.

If you really hate me and reading my opinions so much, why don't you just [!@#$%^&*] put me on ignore?  Because, having Erica Kane as your avatar doesn't give you carte blanche to always target me like a bully.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat are you talking about???????????

I just spent like thirty minutes examining posts I've made in the last YEAR, specifically my replies to YOU, and every last one of them has been part of perfectly pleasant conversation. You're either heavily medicated or you feel some type of way about me, but whatever it is, I can't claim responsibility for it because I haven't done anything to you.

ETA: And in the case of this thread, my initial post singled you out because I was replying to something you specifically said in an effort to add to the conversation. Then you caught a slight attitude.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Was she the one who was trapped in a barn with him in a rainstorm? That episode always me feel very sad when I was a child. 

Two of the other ones I remember from the first season were the ridiculously overwrought episode where one of the girls (I think) had a bong, and the one where Blair had a modeling session with a guy who was a perv (was that Blair?).

One thing which never got a lot of credit for the success of FoL (the first 4-5 years, anyway - not as much when Clooney, Astin, etc. came in) is that it could feel very 'real.' I remember when I was a child, I was so horrified by the episode where Natalie was nearly raped. You always hear about the reality of how a woman dresses not causing a sexual assault, but I don't think any lecture could make that clearer than the image of Natalie stumbling into the hall, bloodied, with her Charlie Chaplin costume torn.

• Members

Nancy was on the Phone with Roger during the storm. Blair was in the stable with Mr. Bradley and was crushing on him while he was wearing a tank top.....LOL

That attempted Rape of Natalie was a creepy and remember it from childhood too. The modeling session was a guy who wanted to make Tootie the face of the 80's and wanted her to pose nude and told her she needed to lose weight. The bong one was Blair and Sue Ann being asked to join a group of popular girls which one was played by Helen Hunt). Sue Anne is pressured into smoking dope and gets high.

• Members

Thanks. You have a better memory than I do. I need to watch some of those again. 

I read that the actor who played Roger passed away a few months ago. I can see why they downgraded him, as you really only needed Mrs. Garrett, but I always liked him. 

• Members

Bingo

Facts of Life could easily work again if done with the care ODAT received. Don't try to be a parody of the original. Be original while still playing homage to the past.

It can be done.

Now it's just a matter if people want it or not.

Frankly I'm numb to the idea of reboots at this point. And when people hear "reboot" they imagine Golden Girls Facts of Life edition. I imagine it's more like One Day at a Time. I think we should just accept this is the go-to thing right now. It's a fad. We've been down reboot city before. It is what it is.

• Members

The new ODAAT is really good from what I've seen of it. SO yeah I could accept something along that line. At least have Lisa involved somehow and maybe Mindy would be willing to make appearances. I can even picture something with a Blair JR type character who is Blair's daughter lol

• Members

I didn't like the ending. It was OK but Jo was the teacher. The premise worked for Blair but at the same time it didn't work for me. I liked the idea overall and it made sense to go with Blair. IDK. I think I let my intense meh-ness towards the final two seasons affect my view of the finale. I guess I wish it were a better finale not that it wasn't a good idea for a spin-off. (anyone remember Anne from DAYS. She was there)

I could see Lisa doing it. But I imagine it would depend. Not like Lisa, Mindy and Kim and Nancy (who'd run screaming from it probably) to some degree haven't kept in contact. Not saying I want The Facts of Life Golden Girls edition, but it could be done right. I also don't know if they should rely on the past cast. Mac Phillips does guest stints on ODAT but not as her former character and it works just fine.

So it's gonna suck without even seeing it? I had the same thought about ODAT before I saw it and I loved every second of it.

Bingo

Although it wasn't the worst idea, saving Eastland. It just seemed so thrown together in an attempt at a spin-off.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

It works fine, because the new ODAAT and the classic ODAAT don't operate in the same universe, despite both including a character with the same name.  Today's ODAAT is a revival strictly in name only.  Otherwise, it might as well be a entirely different series (which it is) with its own name.

If the FOL spinoff w/ Blair as headmistress had occurred as planned, then it might have been nice (and logical) to see Jo on the show as well.  I could see Blair hiring her best friend to work at Eastland as part of her plan to save their old school.

• Members

I think FOL is ripe for a reimagining for the simple fact that they would probably not try to recreate the original characters and instead develop new ones. They'd learn the same life lessons the girls learned in the 80s, but it's a different world (...from where you come from...), and with different girls, you'd have a different show. If the spirit remains the same, as is the case with ODAAT, it can absolutely work.

In no way did I think all of the changes they made to the ODAAT formula would produce a series that had the same tone and spirit as the original, but they did exactly that.

• Members

Last weekend by some strange twist of fate, I saw a fan video with the audio from that long forgotten Kim Fields song "Dear Michael".  I was kid so I have a very vague recollection of that song, I didn't even remember that Kim Fields had done it. 

I don't think it came down to money that they couldn't get Michael, it was probably that Michael just didn't want to do it. 

Please register in order to view this content

Maybe a time issue too?

Chip Fields got on well with the Jacksons and Penny, er Janet was friends with Kim for a bit but it seemed like sitcoms and soaps was more a Jermaine thing.